Sony STR-DN1080 vs. Denon X2400h/X3400h

HTME123

Enthusiast
Hello, I'm in the market for a new AVR and have found a good deal on the well-reviewed Sony STR-DN1080. It looks like I can get it for $448 brand new with free shipping.

I was considering the Sony vs the Denon X2400h but I found this very helpful article below that identifies the Sony as the one to beat between those two.

https://www.whathifi.com/features/denon-avr-x2400h-vs-sony-str-dn1080-vs-yamaha-rx-v583-which-better

My questions are these and I hope you can help:
1. How is Sony regarded. I always felt like it was a step down from something like a Denon?
2. How is their build quality (reliability). I've seen lots of threads saying Denon > Onkyo but that Yamaha is > than Denon reliability wise. Where does Sony fit in?
3. Finally, I've seen deals mentioned about the Denon X3400h for around $550 but theyre tough to locate - Frys is the main culprit but I dont have one in my area... so the question is would you go with the Sony or is it worth it to hold out and try and get a X3400h for $100 more.

Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get either the Denon X2300 for $449 or less brand new or the X3300/ X3400 for $599 or less brand new.

The X3300/3400 would be better if you have the budget.

HTME123

Enthusiast
I definitely think the X3300/3400 is better but that article definitely favored the Sony over the X2300/X2400

Any other thoughts? Anyone listed to both? How is Sony's reliability? All advice is appreciated

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I definitely think the X3300/3400 is better but that article definitely favored the Sony over the X2300/X2400

Any other thoughts? Anyone listed to both? How is Sony's reliability? All advice is appreciated
The most significant difference between the 2300/2400 and the 3300/3400 is that both the 3300/3400 has Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 w/ Sub EQ HT. Thus, the 2300/2400 offer Audyssey Multi EQ XT and NOT XT32. If you plan to go with dual subs, then the XT 32 W/Sub EQ HT is able to EQ (2) subs independently. Furthermore, the 3100/3200 did NOT offer XT 32 W/Sub EQ HT. That was added in the 3300/3400.

I have read some good things about Sony's latest AVR offerings. However, Audyssey is much more favored than the likes of Sony's DCAC or whatever they call it now. If you are looking for reliability, then look no further than Yamaha. That is to say, Yamaha's reliability is second to NONE! Not to mention that YPAO is also very popular. Much more so than DCAC. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The most significant difference between the 2300/2400 and the 3300/3400 is that both the 3300/3400 has Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 w/ Sub EQ HT. Thus, the 2300/2400 offer Audyssey Multi EQ XT and NOT XT32. If you plan to go with dual subs, then the XT 32 W/Sub EQ HT is able to EQ (2) subs independently. Furthermore, the 3100/3200 did NOT offer XT 32 W/Sub EQ HT. That was added in the 3300/3400.

I have read some good things about Sony's latest AVR offerings. However, Audyssey is much more favored than the likes of Sony's DCAC or whatever they call it now. If you are looking for reliability, then look no further than Yamaha. That is to say, Yamaha's reliability is second to NONE! Not to mention that YPAO is also very popular. Much more so than DCAC. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I have no doubt XT32 Sub EQ HT can do a much better job than the XT version. XT may work well too depending on your room, placement and speakers. Sony is good, but I don't believe they have room EQ (not sure if the DCAC is a full blown room EQ) built in and if they do, how well do they work.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I would unequivocally take the Denon X2300 over the Sony AVR.

I would definitely take Audyssey XT Dynamic EQ over Sony.

I love SONY when it comes to TVs and Video. I have 7 SONY LED TVs. But audio isn't their forte. The only people buying Sony AVRs are just loyal fans of Sony and don't know any better when it comes to AVR. :D

These days, when it comes to more affordable AVR, it is usually between Denon/Marantz (Audyssey) vs Yamaha (YPAO) vs Anthem (ARC). If they put DIRAC into some affordable AVR, then it will be among the competition as well.

As of now, I would scratch off Onkyo, Pioneer (unless you need some really slim 5.1 AVR), Sony.

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Sony outsources their AVRs, but 1 positive point for Sony is that for the most part the HDMI CEC SW works well with Sony products. When using other branded HDMI products with a Sony AVR their operation is hit or miss..

Juts my $0.02... ;)

HTME123

Enthusiast
This is great info, thanks guys.

Obviously if I catch a sale for the X3400h for 599 or less. I should go with that. But what should I be looking at for Yamaha in that 400-600 on sale range?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Obviously if I catch a sale for the X3400h for 599 or less. I should go with that. But what should I be looking at for Yamaha in that 400-600 on sale range?
I'd look at the x3300 as well. The only difference between the two is the 3400 has Heos. Not something I'd spend more money on IMHO.

I've got the 4300h and the 1300 and Denon makes a fantastic receiver. So does Yamaha, but the Audyssey software tends to do better than YAPO at this level of receiver. Higher end YAPO is supposed to be pretty good too.

I wouldn't consider a Sony over Denon or Yamaha especially since the article starts talking about how the amps sound different. That type of thing is usually easy to ignore since it's all subjective. Too many variables to take that information into consideration. I also wouldn't look at any of the "smart" features a receiver offers (streaming radio, netflix, etc) because those tend to go out of date quickly. An external streaming device is always going to be better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That article sounds like pure 100% typical bull crap.

One reason so many of us have stopped reading articles like that. :D

It even says the X2400 sounds better than the X2300. What a load of crap. :D

These people give audiophiles such a bad name.

First of all, to truly compare, you have to level-match and use an instant switch system to go back-and-forth among the 3 AVR within seconds.

What these typical B.S. people are doing is listening to one AVR for a while; unplugging the AVR hours or days later; then listening to the next AVR.

And they don't even level-match because they probably don't even know what that means.

Don't even ask them about double-blind or single-blind testing. :D

HTME123

Enthusiast
Anyone have recs on which Yamaha units I should be on the lookout for? Is it important to get the adventage series etc.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone have recs on which Yamaha units I should be on the lookout for? Is it important to get the adventage series etc.
Avoid the A860 adventage AVR. Audioholics bench tested it and it did poorly with multi channels and or 4 ohm.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

As mentioned, if you are going to buy Yamaha, go for at least the 1000-series AVR (1060/1070, etc.), which will cost you about $1,200 since Yamaha doesn't usually give significant discounts.

If you only have $600, you probably won't be able to even buy the 800-series (860/870, etc.), which costs $900 (usually no significant discounts).

So either spend about $1200 on Yamaha 1000-series or buy the $1,000 Denon X3000-series (X3300/X3400, etc.) on sale for about $599.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Like everything else in life, you have to prioritize. What's salient to you?

For me, reliability and Audyssey Dynamic EQ are salient. Perhaps Yamaha may be more reliable (although I haven't had problems with my Denon's), but I cannot do without Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

If power is salient to you, I would say go for the Denon. I have used the Denon 3000-series to power big towers like B&W 802D2 and RBH SVT towers and SX-T2/R towers.

I don't know if anyone with the Yamaha 1000-series has tried powering the B&W 802D2, RBH SVT or RBH SX-T2/R towers.

I have also used the Denon 3000-series to sing very loud karaoke for 8 hours in a large open space room during very loud family parties. :D

So I can vouch for the power capability of the 3000-series.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I have a Denon AVR-X3400H on sale for only $625.00.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

I have 2 Denon HT Receivers (AVR-S900W and AVR-1612) and 2 Sony (STR-DN1050 and STR-DN860) and frankly they all sound good.

I'm trying to be objective but the Denon AVR-S900W "popped" today playing at low volume for only a minute or two, and the circuit protection scheme came on, and I could smell something when I unplugged it. (I haven't had a chance to disconnect it from the inputs and outputs and test it again - that's for tomorrow. If I can't figure it out it'll be off to the repair depot for a $45 diagnostic.)

The Denon AVR-1612 had a problem with a loose connector when I first got it a few years ago which caused it to cycle it's the circuit protection scheme. I bought it used just to try Denon on my basement system, and when I got it home it did this. I'm a bit of a geek, so just before I was going to throw it out I decided to see if it was something obvious. I read on the web that some folks had loose connector problems, and so I took it apart and re-seated all the connections. It's been fine ever since. Especially for an entry level unit.

The Sony STR-DN1050 has operated flawlessly since new. And so has the STR-DN860 but it gets little use as it's at the family cabin. These Sony's are much more user friendly and have a very intuitive remote. They have lots of bells and whistles but the only knock I have on them, and frankly all the receivers I own, is the displays are tough, if not impossible, to read from across the room. I wish they had a quick display button that would show you all your settings at a glance overlayed on the HDMI connected TV.

As for the models mentioned, I suggest you'd probably be satisfied with any of them. But get them on a Credit Card that gives you and extra year of Warranty. None of the OEMs really build as robust a receiver as they did 20+ years ago. Maybe if you went more into the higher end units, but not these machines.

I'm thinking of going to an 11.2 or more appropriately a 7.2.4 HT Receiver. We are just in the final stages of a major home renovation where I installed Atmos in-ceiling speakers in the Games Room; where the Denon AVR-S900W had been running in a 6.1 mode.

See: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/waf-a-new-beginning-where-should-one-start.108444/page-4#post-1231877

I was thinking of the Denon AVR-SX6300H but the problem with the AVR-S900W has me rethinking that now.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
My Son has two Sony units one is over close 15 years old still using it the other is the DN77O sits in his garage both units have performed flawlessly. Now in his main set-up he has a Yamaha A1050 it also is over 3 years old and has performed flawlessly. I personally have used Sony AVR's in the past all have performed flawlessly with No HDMI issues. But like the post above stated compatibility issues with some TV sets can be a problem with Sony's. I have had NAD pre-pro paid 3 g's for it was , buggy as hell with HDMI issues returned it. Every knows of the dreaded HDMI issues that Onkyo had and some others too but it seems they finally got a handle on it. Denon, Marantz, Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, mid level and Flagship units are really nice units depends on your taste and what you want out of a AVR. I wouldn't have a issue buying any of those units but sometimes you can get one from any of them that's buggy.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

I just checked the Denon AVR-S900W, and the circuit protection scheme engages with nothing connected to the box. :( So it's off to the repair shop for an estimate.

I know I mentioned the Sony's are much more user friendly and have a very intuitive remote. You should really consider that in your evaluation if another person or two, who may not be as "into" these geeky boxes as much as you are, will operate it from time to time. :cool:

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Regarding Sony: Sony has been a premier Japanese consumer and professional electronics company since their launch of tape recorders in the early 1950's. Their ES consumer electronics, both past and present, are highly regarded by audio enthusiasts for performance, and value. I have been a Sony fan boy for over 40 years; and, over that period, I have spent about $110,000 for consumer and professional electronics produced by them. I simply look to Sony first to satisfy my electronics needs, since I have had few and only minor problems overall with my Sony purchases. The AVR you are considering from Sony has had glorious reviews. Seems too that folks commenting here who actually own Sony AVRs are happy with their purchases. I would not have any confidence in a comment about Sony from anyone here having no experience with the brand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis