E

Edwin78

Enthusiast
Hello 2 all ! I have this Sony receiver and also have 6 pool audio 70rt in ceiling speakers and 2 SVS sb2000 subs. My ? Is can I connect all 6 speakers to the receiver? I have 4 right now and sounds good but bought 2 More and not sure how 2 connect them. Any help is appreciated.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Hello 2 all ! I have this Sony receiver and also have 6 pool audio 70rt in ceiling speakers and 2 SVS sb2000 subs. My ? Is can I connect all 6 speakers to the receiver? I have 4 right now and sounds good but bought 2 More and not sure how 2 connect them. Any help is appreciated.
My initial thoughts are that this is. 5.1.2 avr. Without getting creative with the wiring I’d recommend not going beyond that. Perhaps other more knowledgeable folks have ideas.

E

Edwin78

Enthusiast
My initial thoughts are that this is. 5.1.2 avr. Without getting creative with the wiring I’d recommend not going beyond that. Perhaps other more knowledgeable folks have ideas.
How would I wire it to power all 6 ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A brief search for your speakers turned up nothing. All the speakers are in the same room for surround use? Shouldn't be an issue unless they're unusually low impedance or something but in the ceiling may not create the best surround experience....

E

Edwin78

Enthusiast
A brief search for your speakers turned up nothing. All the speakers are in the same room for surround use? Shouldn't be an issue unless they're unusually low impedance or something but in the ceiling may not create the best surround experience....
Yes, they are in the same room , all are 8ohms . And when I try to connect the last 2 in the center or rear channel connections it doesn't work. Only way I get sound from all 6 speakers is to connect those last 2 to the front left and right connection , but I'm not sure if that is safe . I read somewhere that all front,rear and center channels have 2 be connected to work , is this true ? Also I mainly use for music but also connect with Bluetooth to tv for a movie occasionally, sounds pretty good to us since we are not really audiophile type. Thanks for any help !! Hope this makes sense

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, they are in the same room , all are 8ohms . And when I try to connect the last 2 in the center or rear channel connections it doesn't work. Only way I get sound from all 6 speakers is to connect those last 2 to the front left and right connection , but I'm not sure if that is safe . I read somewhere that all front,rear and center channels have 2 be connected to work , is this true ? Also I mainly use for music but also connect with Bluetooth to tv for a movie occasionally, sounds pretty good to us since we are not really audiophile type. Thanks for any help !! Hope this makes sense
Looked at your avr spec now...was thinking it was a 6 or 7 ch avr, but it's only a 5ch unit. Odd you wouldn't get audio from the center unless you were using a 2ch sound mode (or multi-ch "stereo" perhaps), what are you using to test with in the way of a source/content? You don't have rear surround channels, just surround. It only has 5 amp channels. I wouldn't double up speakers on a single speaker terminal, as that lowers impedance plus isn't the right information. How are those speakers arranged? L/R, surrounds, and a center and one rear surround?

Last edited:
E

Edwin78

Enthusiast
Looked at your avr spec now...was thinking it was a 6 or 7 ch avr, but it's only a 5ch unit. Odd you wouldn't get audio from the center unless you were using a 2ch sound mode (or multi-ch "stereo" perhaps), what are you using to test with in the way of a source/content? You don't have rear surround channels, just surround. It only has 5 amp channels. I wouldn't double up speakers on a single speaker terminal, as that lowers impedance plus isn't the right information. How are those speakers arranged? L/R, surrounds, and a center and one rear surround?
Just 6 spread out in one room not really front our rear, I installed them more for music and arrange them according to my reccesed lights to make everything line up really. I have 4 on the speakers doubled up to one terminal. If it has 5 channels how do I connect them all best or if this avr is not good which can you recommend ? Thanks again for the info

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just 6 spread out in one room not really front our rear, I installed them more for music and arrange them according to my reccesed lights to make everything line up really. I have 4 on the speakers doubled up to one terminal. If it has 5 channels how do I connect them all best or if this avr is not good which can you recommend ? Thanks again for the info

First, in ceiling is not ideal. So there's no pattern except perhaps aesthetically, like three rows?

This I don't understand it seems, can you clarify? I have 4 on the speakers doubled up to one terminal

You really can't connect them all ideally with that avr, it's not really intended for low impedance loads. Few avrs now are limited to 5 amp channels but avrs aren't really the best tool for this kind of installation/use. Running them in mono is probably best and you could use home audio distribution gear, which is more suited to the purpose. Try checking out hometheaterdirect.com 's whole house audio section/products. You could use the current avr for 5 channels, does your unit have a mono mode? I wouldn't double up on a terminal myself, at low listening levels it could work but you could possibly have the avr trip protection circuits (that hopefully work and not damage the unit).

E

Edwin78

Enthusiast
First, in ceiling is not ideal. So there's no pattern except perhaps aesthetically, like three rows?

This I don't understand it seems, can you clarify? I have 4 on the speakers doubled up to one terminal

You really can't connect them all ideally with that avr, it's not really intended for low impedance loads. Few avrs now are limited to 5 amp channels but avrs aren't really the best tool for this kind of installation/use. Running them in mono is probably best and you could use home audio distribution gear, which is more suited to the purpose. Try checking out hometheaterdirect.com 's whole house audio section/products. You could use the current avr for 5 channels, does your unit have a mono mode? I wouldn't double up on a terminal myself, at low listening levels it could work but you could possibly have the avr trip protection circuits (that hopefully work and not damage the unit).
I mean 4 (2 pair ) of the speakers are connected to the front left and right terminal . And yes aesthetically installed . Only really use for music . Just need something that can power these 6 speakers and have Bluetooth .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I mean 4 (2 pair ) of the speakers are connected to the front left and right terminal . And yes aesthetically installed . Only really use for music . Just need something that can power these 6 speakers and have Bluetooth .
At least use the other actual amp channels rather than doubling up. Maybe just use the four outermost speakers in mono mode. Stereo won't be good with four anyways.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That’s funny, because I kept scrolling through waiting for you to say, oh yeah, I found them.
If it was only one letter off maybe. It sounded reasonable for ceiling speakers....maybe some indoor/outdoor patio model, who knows?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh my... I knew my audy-sense was tingling for a reason.

Lot to unpack. Most of our "mainly for music" systems don't go in the ceiling. In fact, the snobby audiophile in me died a little bit when I read that... :p That AVR is the wrong unit for the job, and has been stated, wiring speakers in parallel to one channel is a pretty big no-no. I might even suggest you contact a pro installer and see what he could do for you.

You bought some nice subwoofers, which tells me you want good sound. Then you stick all your speakers up in the ceiling! As far as placement you just lined them up with the recessed lights? Is the goal just to have some background music or are you looking more for good sound and performance? I think in wall speakers would be a much better compromise between aesthetics and quality sound than sticking them in the ceiling.

Bookshelf speakers or monitors on stands acceptable? You can get into some really nice sound without breaking the bank right off the bat with the subs you have.

Or you could get an AVR with more output channels and use "All Channel" or "5 Channel" stereo. Then all of your speakers will get the same mono signal. You can't really do proper stereo or surround the way they are now anyway.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh my... I knew my audy-sense was tingling for a reason.

Lot to unpack. Most of our "mainly for music" systems don't go in the ceiling. In fact, the snobby audiophile in me died a little bit when I read that... :p That AVR is the wrong unit for the job, and has been stated, wiring speakers in parallel to one channel is a pretty big no-no. I might even suggest you contact a pro installer and see what he could do for you.

You bought some nice subwoofers, which tells me you want good sound. Then you stick all your speakers up in the ceiling! As far as placement you just lined them up with the recessed lights? Is the goal just to have some background music or are you looking more for good sound and performance? I think in wall speakers would be a much better compromise between aesthetics and quality sound than sticking them in the ceiling.

Bookshelf speakers or monitors on stands acceptable? You can get into some really nice sound without breaking the bank right off the bat with the subs you have.

Or you could get an AVR with more output channels and use "All Channel" or "5 Channel" stereo. Then all of your speakers will get the same mono signal. You can't really do proper stereo or surround the way they are now anyway.
Allch stereo or 5ch stereo is still a form of stereo rather than mono, fwiw. Just pairs of L/R (and summed in the center channel). Mono would be better....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Allch stereo or 5ch stereo is still a form of stereo rather than mono, fwiw. Just pairs of L/R (and summed in the center channel). Mono would be better....
Okay, thanks for the correction. I had my wires a little crossed. Agree mono would be better in his situation either way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis