Sony Plans to Ban...Permanently

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
First thing that pops into my mind would be altering the game files. Changing the damage and fire rate on weapons, etc.

I have no problem with Sony banning modified consoles from PSN. What I have a problem with is their strict attitude towards their (legitimate) users. They keep taking things away like OtherOS (I literally chose the last fat ps3 in stock over a slim for it), 3rd party controllers and devices (I need to check is my ps2 controller converter is working still), and their intrusiveness into your gaming device (sending data about all devices connected to your ps3 - yes they want and do collect info about your shiny new Sony Bravia TV and what accessories you've purchased).

I mean for all intents and purposes the ps3 has been "rooted". Wouldn't the ideal way to go about this be to patch up what you can (PSN/Multiplayer) and try to win people back by doing something like bringing OtherOS back and ADDing features? They will never be able to "fix" this so shouldn't they try to add value to not using hacked firmware?
what is this about third party devices not functioning? i have two logitech dual-action controllers hooked in via usb and they work fine, i also had an apple keyboard connected to it once.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
Should of been (unlicensed) third party devices. Things that Sony hasn't expressly approved. In FW >3.5 they made many of these devices non-functional. It was assumed to be targeting USB dongles that enabled hacking the PS3 on FW 3.41, or it may of just coincided with it. Keyboards should be unaffected.

I still haven't tested it yet but the only unlicensed third party device I have is a USB dongle that converts PS2 controllers into USB ones. I got it from Hong Kong for 7$ so I can use my PS2 controllers whenever more than 1 other person wants to multiplayer without bringing a controller. I also use it on my PC for a generic wireless controller too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have that issue because I have 3 sixaxis for the FAT and 3 dual shocks for the Slim, so there's never a shortage of controllers when people come over :) I have a keyboard just for the PS3s, but I typically only use it very rarely. Haven't tried the KB since 3.56 though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis