Sony OLED A90J or LG OLED

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I ended up getting the C1 (65"). The price dropped enough on Prime Day to make me pull the trigger. I almost went A80J but LG has better support for eARC and gaming features.

The picture is stunning compared to the plasma I had. I really thought 4k was bullshit but even SDR looks better.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I pulled the trigger on the 77 80J Sony for the HT room. It Does have 2.1 HDMI and eArc, but I don't plan to game on it and I stream my stuff from Roku or Firestick, so eArc is pretty much not important. Picture is astounding and my dealer got me a great price. My A8G is in the bedroom now.

projector 2022

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I pulled the trigger on the 77 80J Sony for the HT room. It Does have 2.1 HDMI and eArc, but I don't plan to game on it and I stream my stuff from Roku or Firestick, so eArc is pretty much not important. Picture is astounding and my dealer got me a great price. My A8G is in the bedroom now.

projector 2022
Congrates wear it well

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The reviewer received lots of perks from LG of course. One hand washes the other.
David Katzmaier has been doing reviews for decades. Do you have evidence that his review is flawed or influenced by the supplier?

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
David Katzmaier has been doing reviews for decades. Do you have evidence that his review is flawed or influenced by the supplier?
You must be the most naive person around. This is how the system works.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I'll call your naivety and raise you paranoia.
The lg looks pretty affordable, is burn in Rare on these better models ? Oled better for everything over most led I bet , except models pixel issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
The A90j has an integrated aluminum heatsink added by sony to allow higher brightness for longer periods, and improved lifespan, and uses the latest panel from LG display as used in the G1 ("Evo" panel) . That along with the slightly better processing on the Sony and back lit remote , plus Google tv swayed me to the Sony over the LG G1 . But things are close between the current oleds and you would be happy with the A80j, A90j , LG C1 or G1. I guess the A90j been the master series this year (and the higher level of QC that comes with that) and carrying into 2022 as a lineup model swayed me too.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The reviewer received lots of perks from LG of course. One hand washes the other.
This tends to be extremely insulting and a disgusting statement about most reviews and reviewers.

Almost all websites and reviewers will announce when something is a paid or sponsored review. In that case, yes, it's likely garbage.

But, the reviews on most websites, including right here at Audioholics, are impartial. I know I did a few reviews for Projector Central, and my entire goal was to be honest about what I was working with. What I liked, and what I didn't like. If someone were to say that I was biased because LG sponsors Projector Central with advertising, it wouldn't change what my review said because I was being paid to write a review by Projector Central, without any direction whatsoever from LG or anyone else.

It is like saying that you suck at your job because you are paid to do your job. It's just REALLY insulting to someone who has a job to do and has been doing it for years.

What's even crazier, is that the review on CNET basically covers exactly what all pro reviewers and all non-pro reviews have been saying all along. It also mirrors what those who do shoot outs have been saying.

At the end of the day, it is a pretty d'k move to call a professional reviewer biased without specifics.

Want a good example of reviews which are biased? Look at YouTube about the Samsung Freestyle projector. This is a $900 (MSRP) 250ANSI lumen pico class projector. Except for one unpaid review, almost everything else is paid promotion by Samsung. Most clearly state that, some do not. But the one unpaid with the DO NOT BUY recommendation is the only one I've seen which calls out the lack of brightness and major competition which already exists within that class of projector.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
True, with 4K-HDR, you need all the HDR-brightness you can get. So I would look for the best HDR-brightness.
Right! I watch a lot of 4K disc Blu-ray movies. So HDR brightness it's critical. My Hisense U6G has a much better nit rate than that Vizio V series I had. GOT season 8, much better with the night battle scenes.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Right! I watch a lot of 4K disc Blu-ray movies. So HDR brightness it's critical. My Hisense U6G has a much better nit rate than that Vizio V series I had. GOT season 8, much better with the night battle scenes.
HDR brightness is a PART of HDR viewing, but contrast remains king. This is where the OLED models simply stomp on most of the competition.

It's not for everyone, and it's not for every room. But, just looking at one metric to determine the quality of a display is just.. silly(?). No reviewer goes with a single metric in their reviews. They judge motion handling, black level, shadow detail, image uniformity, color accuracy, and a LONG line of other consideration before making recommendations.

If you just want a nice bright punchy image for bright room viewing, then there are a number of models which perform well, which should never be considered because they screw up some of the other aspects of image performance.

But, it doesn't suddenly make any OLED TV bad because it doesn't get super bright. It just means it needs to go into the right room.

Always compromises, which is why review sites such as RTings give the ability to sort by a lot of categories.

OLED leads the list in a lot of different viewing options. But, brightness certainly has never been one of them. Wait until micro LED hits the market!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
HDR brightness is a PART of HDR viewing, but contrast remains king. This is where the OLED models simply stomp on most of the competition.

It's not for everyone, and it's not for every room. But, just looking at one metric to determine the quality of a display is just.. silly(?). No reviewer goes with a single metric in their reviews. They judge motion handling, black level, shadow detail, image uniformity, color accuracy, and a LONG line of other consideration before making recommendations.

If you just want a nice bright punchy image for bright room viewing, then there are a number of models which perform well, which should never be considered because they screw up some of the other aspects of image performance.

But, it doesn't suddenly make any OLED TV bad because it doesn't get super bright. It just means it needs to go into the right room.

Always compromises, which is why review sites such as RTings give the ability to sort by a lot of categories.

OLED leads the list in a lot of different viewing options. But, brightness certainly has never been one of them. Wait until micro LED hits the market!
Sony gotta A95K supposed to be out sometime this year maybe. QD-OLED, 55" around 3K, 65" around 4K. Going to be pricey.
Screenshot_20220304-162025~2.png

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sony gotta A95K supposed to be out sometime this year maybe. QD-OLED, 55" around 3K, 65" around 4K. Going to be pricey.
The Quantum Dot OLED displays which we should see from both Sony and Samsung will be very exciting for sure. I'm just not positive they will touch the brightness levels needed for bright room viewing. But, it has been stated time and time and time again, that proper HDR isn't about the brightness alone. You have to look at overall quality and black levels and everyone who is serious about image quality should be viewing in a dark room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Quantum Dot OLED displays which we should see from both Sony and Samsung will be very exciting for sure. I'm just not positive they will touch the brightness levels needed for bright room viewing. But, it has been stated time and time and time again, that proper HDR isn't about the brightness alone. You have to look at overall quality and black levels and everyone who is serious about image quality should be viewing in a dark room.
Of course, no matter what we are talking about in life, there are always more than just ONE FACTOR to consider. Everyone knows that.

We also know that engineering is often about making compromises to fit our budgets - pros and cons - just like everything else in life.

It comes down to what’s more important to us - our needs and applications. We know that.

Are we willing to give up a little bit of one thing to have more of something else to fit our budgets?

Based on overall picture quality for both SDR and HDR, are we willing to give up some contrast to have more lumens for our budgets?

@Replicant 7 showed those HDR Brightness Ratings because for his budget, he is willing to give up some contrast to have more HDR Brightness for his application. He’s not saying HDR Brightness is ONLY factor to consider.

If someone wants to post some Contrast-Comparison Charts, that would also be great. That would also be one factor, not the only factor.

Based on our experiences, that is the question that each of us has to decide for ourselves, not for anyone else.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis