Sony Announces dts-HD Support for the PS3

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sony today announced that the next system software update for the PS3 system, slated for release next week, will add DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio support, enabling consumers to enjoy Blu-ray movies with studio-quality, high-definition audio. In addition to the new audio capabilities, the free system software update (v. 2.30) will allow PS3 owners to access the revamped Playstation Store, as previously announced. As part of the revamp, the new store will transition from an integrated online storefront to an application living natively on the PS3.

Discuss "Sony Announces dts-HD Support for the PS3" here. Read the article.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Dude, you're late:D Just like I was. There's already a discussion on this. Great news!

Pat

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
So now the big question is Audioholics actually going to start recommending this device as the best choice for a current generation blu-ray player or is Jesus himself going to have to endorse it first?

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
I bet Audioholics will still recommend the Samsung BD-P1400 player they now sell! Hey it has Anynet and Sony doesn't!

Looks like firmware 2.30 would have killed HD-DVD, possibly Sony was holding out this for a knock out punch. No need to hold onto it anymore, Yippee!

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Once again j garcia beats admin to the punch by an hour.:p:eek::D

Great news, I'm really looking forward to hearing this and hoping it will actually allow a full 7.1 channelsinstead of the current limit of only 5.1 with any DTS. Bad news is I still have to wait a day longer than those who can download it via their PS3, I gotta use a flash drive.:(

Jack

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
Once again j garcia beats admin to the punch by an hour.:p:eek::D

Great news, I'm really looking forward to hearing this and hoping it will actually allow a full 7.1 channelsinstead of the current limit of only 5.1 with any DTS. Bad news is I still have to wait a day longer than those who can download it via their PS3, I gotta use a flash drive.:(

Jack

Why do you have to download via flash drive?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Well the PS3 will now be the best BD player on the planet. Is there going to be another reason for not recommending it?

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Well the PS3 will now be the best BD player on the planet. Is there going to be another reason for not recommending it?
Of course, it won't work with IR remotes properly. Or at least, that's what the naysayers will bring up. To me, it's the best deal out there right now, bar none. :D

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
What if you don't play video games? I've been sitting on the fence so long my butt is starting to hurt, but honestly I can't see buying a piece of equiptment whose primary function is something [video games] that I have no use for.....nada, zilch, zipporoony. Is the PS3 still the best bluray player for me?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i dont play vid games ... i have the 60gb ps3. and when funds come along, ill buy another 40gb version just for playing BD's. its that good.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
What if you don't play video games? I've been sitting on the fence so long my butt is starting to hurt, but honestly I can't see buying a piece of equiptment whose primary function is something [video games] that I have no use for.....nada, zilch, zipporoony. Is the PS3 still the best bluray player for me?
I use mind for probably 90% BR and 10% games. It's primary purpose certainly isn't playing games for me. If it got stolen (heaven forbid!) I'd buy another one tomorrow. It even decodes the hi-res formats to PCM, no need for a fancy new HDMI 1.3 reciever! Is it the best for you? That's something you'll have to decide, but I don't see a better option out there currently.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't use the PS3 much for games either, though my roommate does. I primarily use it as a music server/DVD/Blu-ray player. It can also browse the internet and you can download trailers to new movies on their home site. It chews through DRM faster than any other Blu-ray player can, and has an software emulated scaler. Having the software emulated scaler means it can be improved through firmware updates, stand alone players of any kind (at least that I have seen) use hardware based scalers, meaning their performance is fixed to the hardware they have and they can't be improved to the same level as the PS3's scaler can.

It's disadvantages are that it does make a small amount of fan noise, but not enough to be truly bothersome (the XBOX 360 is ridiculously loud in comparison). The PS3's elliptical shape can make placement difficult for some installations. There aren't currently that many if any BlueTooth enable universal remote controls, though there is a BlueTooth Blu-ray remote available as well as an after market IR receiver and remote that uses USB as the IR receiver receptacle. Buying the after market IR receiver and remote means you can use the remote that comes with the receiver to program into a universal remote control that features a learn function.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
Of course, it won't work with IR remotes properly. Or at least, that's what the naysayers will bring up. To me, it's the best deal out there right now, bar none. :D

http://ir2bt.com/

Get on the list problem solved.

Considering there are not many games out for the PS3 most of the A/V community has adopted this as a standalone bluray player.

Its extremely fast, and among other things you can go on the internet, stream music from you PC view pictures videos and manage a music collection on it.

No other BluRay player will do that.
No other BluRay player will receive constant updates and tweaks.
No other BluRay player will have the support the PS3 has all over the net for the next 5 years.

Its more of a piece of AV gear than any other BluRay player will ever be.

But wait, its a video game machine.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why do you have to download via flash drive?
My PS3 is out of range of the wireless router I have access to. Sooo, I have to download the update firmware file via Sony's PS3 System Update page to a flash drive, then put that in the USB port on my Playstation. Which also means I have to wait an extra day or so for Sony to update the update page.:mad:

Jack

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
LOL, and Glocks beat me to it before that even ;):cool: If I hadn't been so busy today, I would have seen it sooner :D
I have been waiting for this update since I bought my PS3, there was no way I was going to let anyone beat me to posting this great news.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Hey here is an idea..

Now that the PS3 does DTS HD MA, TrueHD, PCM, and SACD (60gb and 80GB models) lets talk up DVD Audio. Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake? To have a machine that could cover all our bases?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Now that the PS3 does DTS HD MA, TrueHD, PCM, and SACD (60gb and 80GB models) lets talk up DVD Audio. Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake? To have a machine that could cover all our bases?
Sony is trying to kill DVD-A so it ain't happening. I too would love to see a player do it all, even HD DVD ... for not a lot of money of course. :rolleyes: Actually I don't care about HD DVD but I really would appreciate a heads up when ever somebody does come up with does-it-all-player. Redundancy in gear is to be avoided.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
My PS3 is out of range of the wireless router I have access to. Sooo, I have to download the update firmware file via Sony's PS3 System Update page to a flash drive, then put that in the USB port on my Playstation. Which also means I have to wait an extra day or so for Sony to update the update page.:mad:

Jack
I just installed a belkin wireless bridge in my basement, quite a nice cheap solution to extend your wireless. Check it out, it certainly works for me.
Good luck,
Pat

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
It's disadvantages are that it does make a small amount of fan noise, but not enough to be truly bothersome (the XBOX 360 is ridiculously loud in comparison).
You know, I was a little worried about this supposed noise, but I really cannot ever hear it. I played it with the cabinet door open last night and couldn't hear it. I got down on my knees close to it an cannot hear it. Yes, my hearing is fine:) What I am trying to say is that it is not as big a deal as some are trying to make it.

Pat

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis