Sony Announces dts-HD Support for the PS3

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
What if you don't play video games? I've been sitting on the fence so long my butt is starting to hurt, but honestly I can't see buying a piece of equiptment whose primary function is something [video games] that I have no use for.....nada, zilch, zipporoony. Is the PS3 still the best bluray player for me?
I bought my PS3 with the intention of using it for 90% games and 10% BD. Currently I use it 25% BD, 70% SDdvd, 5% games. I have 0 complaints about the system.

Noisy? I can't hear it.
Out of date? Nope, updates all the time.
Big blockbuster game comes out? Great, I can play it.
Big blockbuster movie comes out? Great, I can play it.
Demos, trailers, old games, music videos, etc for free or cheap and download pretty quick. I couldn't be happier after using my Xbox 360 for 90% nothing and 5% games and 5% movies.

L

Longbow64

Audiophyte
DTS HD MA settings for the PS3

I have a Onkyo 875 receiver set up with an HDMI from my PS3. I received the new update last night. I set the Audio out option for HDMI to bitstream and it still only plays in normal DTS 5.1 on Rush Hour 3 which is DTS HD MA 7.1. I then set the audio out to Linear PCM and on the PS3 it says it is sending it out DTS HD MA 7.1 at about 6.5 Mbps but the receiver is still sending it out 5.1. Any suggestions?

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic

Are you sure you have 7.1 LPCM enabled under all of your audio settings? You may want to check that.

L

Longbow64

Audiophyte
This is what I found on the Playstation forums:

"I'm having the same exact issue. In fact, it's an issue with all New Line Cinema titles when played on the PS3. The PS3 shows DTS-HD MA and the Receiver (mine's an ONKYO 805) shows 5.1 PCM. But if you'll notice when the opening screen for the films comes up (The New Line Home Entertainment Animation) that is in 7.1. This is the explanation I found on AVS forum.

Quote:

"It's not a New Line Issue...

This is a Sony issue... they haven't properly implimented the decoder...

I have spoken to DTS and New Line about why this happens on certain pieces of hardware.

DTS-HD/MA has 7 supported channel configs... the only two 7.1 configs being used right now are 7.1 with side surrounds at 90 degrees and back surrounds at 150 degrees, and 7.1 with rear surrounds at 120 degrees and back surrounds at 150 degrees...

The NL titles use the later for logos, and the former for features.

The decoder should simply pass the side or rear surrounds out the same outputs, regardless of where they are physically placed.. this is certainly a decoder issue, and should've been caught during QC.. it might've been, and should be easily correctable."

End Quote.

That's what I was told. The guy showed some diagrams from New Line to illustrate the problem, but you get what he's saying. This is a PS3 issue that Sony will have to fix. I just can't believe they didn't catch this earlier. We've been asking for this update for a long time and when we finally get it. It doesn't work right. BTW Star Gate uses 6.1 DTS HD HR and that worked perfectly so it has to be a decoder issue for New Line's 7.1 configuration."

What I did find was that with DTS-HD MA in 5.1, if you set the PS3 to Linear PCM it plays just fine, but DTS-HD MA is not displayed on the receiver because it's already been decoded and is being sent as PCM, so "Multichannel" is displayed instead. The bit rate's not as high as I expected, but is the highest I've seen (7.0 Mbps)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Copied from Sony's website:

Blu-ray Disc playback now supports DTS-HD Master Audio™ and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio™ output.*
* The PS3™ system does not support playback of DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video or DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs.

Jack

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis