Sony 4K UBP-X700 issues

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
As stated I have been having issues with my Fairly new Sony 4K player. I have returned two of them to date and as I'm posting this up now the 3rd one is doing the same thing as the other two have. When playing a 4K disc it will Freeze would have to hit Fast forward or reverse or mostly stop power off and start playing a disc again. This one I was streaming Netflix All of a sudden unit Froze up streaming. It won't power off or Eject the disc. I had to unplug the power cord than power it back on to get my music cd out the tray. It will be returned for a full refund this time. I have read some reviews from others who have had these same issues with Sony's 4K UBP-X700. Dam the bad luck! Thing is I really like this unit Fantastic player for the coin. But not Reliable for me anyways. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Silly question, but Is it on top on anything warm-hot? AC Plugged in where?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Sits by itself, unplugged the power cord from Receptacle. For few Minutes the tray wouldn't open thought I was going to have to pull the hood off to get my music cd out. I'm pissed cause this is the 3rd one of this model and one LG 4K blu-ray when I got it home it wouldn't even power up. I started a expensive 4K Blu-ray collection. Don't know if I'm willing to Invest 4 or 500 or more in a better model.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That sucks man. That’s the model I wanted too. I know most will stare you towards Oppo or Panasonic which can be pricey. Maybe try a mini fan? Does it get hot?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
That sucks man. That’s the model I wanted too. I know most will stare you towards Oppo or Panasonic which can be pricey. Maybe try a mini fan? Does it get hot?
Just got my refund, went back to the electronics department all they had was the same unit model and one Philips 4K Blu-ray player. For now I just picked up Sony's 3700 blu-ray it has the Netflix app, On my Vizio 4K the Netflix app just stopped working again this week. Vizio had sent a firmware update umm two weeks ago if I remember right and that update fixed the Netflix app. Now my Vizio V model is starting to act up since I did the update when I power up my tv, if it was on over the air antenna what ever channel its on after a few minutes it will jump to Vizio Smartcast automatically.
Dam the bad luck I tell ya.

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I'm wondering about a bad CEC implementation. I would have suggested turning it off on both ends.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As stated I have been having issues with my Fairly new Sony 4K player. I have returned two of them to date and as I'm posting this up now the 3rd one is doing the same thing as the other two have. When playing a 4K disc it will Freeze would have to hit Fast forward or reverse or mostly stop power off and start playing a disc again. This one I was streaming Netflix All of a sudden unit Froze up streaming. It won't power off or Eject the disc. I had to unplug the power cord than power it back on to get my music cd out the tray. It will be returned for a full refund this time. I have read some reviews from others who have had these same issues with Sony's 4K UBP-X700. Dam the bad luck! Thing is I really like this unit Fantastic player for the coin. But not Reliable for me anyways. Buyer beware.
Move up to the X800-M2. That one works for me, and I know we have had one other on the forum who likes his.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Move up to the X800-M2. That one works for me, and I know we have had one other on the forum who likes his.
Thanks Doc! Will do, I really liked that X700 the video and audio is really good with that unit. I will put in a order with Crutchfield their 60 day return thing gives me a good amount of time. First I will play GOT season 8 all day on it than Stream 24 hours on it. I ll do that off and on for a month any issues will show up if any hopefully none.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I'm wondering about a bad CEC implementation. I would have suggested turning it off on both ends.
Funny you mention CEC, My Vizio 4K TV would switch to Vizio Smartcast in the middle of watching over air tv channel. Plus My Yamaha 7790 AVR would turn on all hours of the night. At first I Figured the AVR had a bug, with kicking on by itself. But here's the thing before I added the Sony 4k X700 player my AVR never did that before. I did just as you stated @DigitalD. ;) I disabled CEC on the X700 and set HDMI control in Yamahas settings to off and set CEC to off in Vizio's settings. My AVR never kicked on by itself again. Only issue is now I gotta turn TV, Player, Yamaha on with each remote, Yeah I know get myself one of those cool remotes that'll do it all in one for me. I may but knowing me, i'll spend the money on more 4K movies.:) Thanks for your reply DD!:)

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Definitely purchase a universal remote -- very handy, and it will give you much more flexibility.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
I have a Sony X800, although unsure if it's M2 model or not, had mine for a few years right after they first came out. Mine does the same thing the OP's is doing, locking up, and only recourse is to unplug it.

It used to happen more frequently, and it almost stopped once I got my wifi tuned up by investing in a mesh network. Wouldn't think wifi would cause a problem, but once I switched, lockups happened far less frequently.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like my x800m2 better than x700 and x800 original, but it does lock up sometimes on UHD and even Blu-ray titles (maybe less than the others). I only have plain old HDR10 on my 2016 Samsung KS8000. I don’t have Dolby Vision or HDR10+.

My Sony 5100 from 2013 still works flawlessly for regular Blu-ray and DVD, so I’m able to use that one on regular blu-ray titles. (Never freezes)

I’ll probably try a Panasonic UHD player at some point although not sure if they have fan noise. LG as the other possible choice.... I would keep Sony x800m2 in the rack for SACD and DVD-A anyhow.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Ok I returned Sony X700, I picked up,
LG 4K -UBKM9. Played GOT the whole 8th season in 4K, plus streamed Netflix for 10 hours No Issues! Fingers crossed.
6D711A85-650F-43C7-8864-80EE935CD58F.jpeg

7C7D5EEA-EA0B-4435-AB31-D30254544A7D.jpeg

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
That's a good point. I have a Sony 700 that would freeze when playing 4K disks. I mounted it on top of some empty vented 3.5" SATA trays so airflow was available under the unit and it's never had an issue again.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have an x700 as well. It went about a year and a half before needin to be unplugged for a reset. Avs has an owners thread a mile long with people complaining of freeze ups, and bricking. To be honest, there are reports of flawless behavior too.
Knock on wood, mines been what I’d call solid overall and I love the startup time. Video performance is also very good. Now that I said all that it’ll probably die...
To bad mike. Hope the new one’s good.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I have an x700 as well. It went about a year and a half before needin to be unplugged for a reset. Avs has an owners thread a mile long with people complaining of freeze ups, and bricking. To be honest, there are reports of flawless behavior too.
Knock on wood, mines been what I’d call solid overall and I love the startup time. Video performance is also very good. Now that I said all that it’ll probably die...
To bad mike. Hope the new one’s good.
@William Lemmerhirt, I went through 4 of the Sony X700 I even called into Sony's CS they even said they are aware of the issues.
Thing is nice player when it's working right. I didn't give up easily on it tried the up plug thing, the hard reset would play without issues than bam! start messing up again.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
My Sony X700 had a heat issue on the bottom when it would play sitting on a wood surface. After 45min to an hour playback would start to freeze up on 4k movies.

I unscrewed the front panels from two FirmTek eSATA trays and turned them over so the open top was facing up and placed them directly under the Sony X700. The two trays become a 1" pedestal that elevate the bottom of the X700 so it's completely open to air underneath the player. That was enough to keep my Sony X700 cool and I never experienced a freeze since. The Sony X700 offers nice 4K playback and sounds great as an audio CD player.

tray.png

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
My Sony X700 had a heat issue on the bottom when it would play sitting on a wood surface. After 45min to an hour playback would start to freeze up on 4k movies.

I unscrewed the front panels from two FirmTek eSATA trays and turned them over so the open top was facing up and placed them directly under the Sony X700. The two trays become a 1" pedestal that elevate the bottom of the X700 so it's completely open to air underneath the player. That was enough to keep my Sony X700 cool and I never experienced a freeze since. The Sony X700 offers nice 4K playback and sounds great as an audio CD player.

View attachment 40451

The sound was really good CD's had a smooth nice detail, if that means anything. 4K surround is sweet on that player.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

View attachment 40451

I have a pedestal now too for my x800m2. I’ll report back the results after a few discs.

Thanks!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

View attachment 40451

I ended up drilling holes in my Fire Stick 1080p cause it kept freezing and restarting. Doesn’t happen anymore after I did that. I bet if you do that on the sides of the Sony it would not happen again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis