Sony 4K UBP-X700 issues

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Bought mine a couple of months ago for $112 on the bay. Just opened it. Was gonna hold off till I got my 4K tv, but...I will test it today and see if any issues. Seller Included my first 4K movie Red. My orange friend always showing off. :pView attachment 40593
I just saw I hit the wrong Emoji I had hit the Thumbs down by accident sorry about that bro. I Corrected it. I use a Iphone well as you know the keyboard is small on these things there build for small hands.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Too bad Gmoney didn’t wait a bit more. They should have also have put vents on the sides to circulate air more. I’m glad his LG 4K player is working good though. Man can’t wait to see this with a 4K TV.
Hey I had forgot about this lil tip so check it out. Gonna stream all day I'll post back up hope it works.
B4732569-23D2-44C0-BE42-9C8305DF52FB.jpeg

H

Huey645

Audioholic
From my take on Sony's X800 it seems to be a better built I didn't know Sony had X800M2. I can say this about my Experience with the Sony's X700 just this past weekend I was streaming Netflix and no less than 5 times I had to unplug it From the receptacle and plug it back in to get it to work. I can not say for sure what is causing that. I can watch 4 to 5 Episodes of whatever on Netflix and for some reason when the app is Switching to the next episode after 4 or 5 episodes it will cause the Sony X700 to freeze up unit will Not responding to any commands from the remote. Now when playing a 4K disc all good. Thing is I have tried 5 of these 4K player's All of them done the exact same thing. Walmart here where I live has seen me over this year alone for returns I even tried one LG 9 player 4K it did the same thing would freeze up when streaming. I can't really Troubleshoot to see if maybe it's loosing internet connection cause once it freezes up won't respond to anything from the remote which tells me that Sony's X700 is buggy. I have found from reading reviews from BestBuy, Walmart, Amazon, Crutchfield, that with this model X700 seems to have issues with freezing up or not lasting very long. Maybe next year I'll pickup the 4K play TLSGUY recommend to get.
Once I went to a google mesh network, most of my lockups went away with the X800. I watched a couple of Blurays the other night and had no problems.

The one thing I did notice the other night, Vudu does not play in 4k on the X800, only 1080p. It didn't make much difference in the movie I was watching, Krampus, but I didn't realize the movies I had in 4K were only playing 1080p, although I haven't watched many movies on Vudu.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, I been streaming all day on Netflix, Watching OZARK all day till just now, my Sony X700 just froze up when Netflix was switching over to EP 8. Much better usually it would do that like after 4 or 5 Episodes.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Bought mine a couple of months ago for $112 on the bay. Just opened it. Was gonna hold off till I got my 4K tv, but...I will test it today and see if any issues. Seller Included my first 4K movie Red. My orange friend always showing off. :pView attachment 40593
Was the RED disc part of the advertised package or did the seller forget to empty the tray? LOL!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Are you familiar with what the M2 added to the X800?
I have an X800 (without the M2)
i have 3 rooms so I have x800 and x700 and x800m2.

x800 and x800m2 have a nicer remote than x700.

x800m2 has Dolby vision unlike x800. The x700 has Dolby Vision as well.

None of my TVs have Dolby Vision anyhow. Possibly will get a 75in TV next fall.

x800m2 lacks most apps unlike x800 which has some apps.

Truthfully I don’t use apps on my Sonys. I have Firestick 4K and Apple TV 4K in each room. I’m also curious about trying the latest Google 4K.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
They should have also have put vents on the sides to circulate air more.
I just needed to make a comment on drilling new holes in the case for ventilation.
For audio electronics, I have seen a lot of variety from very well thought out cooling layouts to total afterthought in the design (which can still do the trick depending how much heat is generated in the first place).
Generally, the heat sinks will have vents just above them and that is where the air will exit the case (as the hot air rises out the top).
A good cooling design will provide a path for airflow that will go past the major sources of heat in the unit. If you drill holes in the wrong locations, you run the risk of diverting some the cool incoming air from those major heat sources and thus, despite increasing ventilation, the risk of overheating is worsened.
Like I say, it depends on how well the cooling layout was designed.
Generally, being aware of this and a glance at where the vents are in the bottom and top vs the internal components (and where you can feel the heat coming from) is enough to know whether you can improve cooling by adding vent holes.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Okay, I been streaming all day on Netflix, Watching OZARK all day till just now, my Sony X700 just froze up when Netflix was switching over to EP 8. Much better usually it would do that like after 4 or 5 Episodes.
Get a cheap laptop fan or drill some holes on the sides I bet no more freeze up. Lets see a real pic of it with risers! I haven’t used it lately, but will soon as I ordered some 4K movies. I use my Firestick mostly for streaming. Also your Vizio does streaming as well.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I just needed to make a comment on drilling new holes in the case for ventilation.
For audio electronics, I have seen a lot of variety from very well thought out cooling layouts to total afterthought in the design (which can still do the trick depending how much heat is generated in the first place).
Generally, the heat sinks will have vents just above them and that is where the air will exit the case (as the hot air rises out the top).
A good cooling design will provide a path for airflow that will go past the major sources of heat in the unit. If you drill holes in the wrong locations, you run the risk of diverting some the cool incoming air from those major heat sources and thus, despite increasing ventilation, the risk of overheating is worsened.
Like I say, it depends on how well the cooling layout was designed.
Generally, being aware of this and a glance at where the vents are in the bottom and top vs the internal components (and where you can feel the heat coming from) is enough to know whether you can improve cooling by adding vent holes.
I think drilling on the sides is a better choice not on top. I’m gonna try it this week just for the heck of it. You see what I do for you guys. :p

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I think drilling on the sides is a better choice not on top. I’m gonna try it this week just for the heck of it. You see what I do for you guys. :p
Thing is I'd blame my internet maybe, but when it does freeze up it won't respond to any remote commands. I have no other choice but to unplug it for about 10 seconds.
It's very Frustrating! As you know I have tried out 5 of these X700's and All of them freeze up. So yeah in my opinion it is a buggy 4K player. The X700 when it is performing well has a beautiful picture. My Vizio 4K has the Netflix app it won't work it use to, Vizio sent a update back in umm June. It had fix it worked for about 10 days than stopped. All the other apps work on my Vizio but not Netflix. I've done so many hard rests nothing I tried will get it to work. Vizio CS service, pasted to buck saying I have internet issues :rolleyes: I must've called into Vizio CS no less than 5 time's I'd tell them chumps I already had done the Factory reset, and also I'd tell them that the Netflix app works on my Sony 4k player. So just for sh&ts and giggles I'd let them chumps walk me through the soft reset and than a hard rest. Than to only hear them tell me it's your internet has the issue not the TV.:rolleyes:. All this was do before the 1 year warranty had ran out but now it has no warranty. So yeah be careful with Vizio they love passing the buck. Other than the app issue the TV has been a good one. It only cost me 338.00 plus tax a bottom feeder tv. I'm gonna try their M-Model next year I'll upgrade to a 65". Don't you fellow audio/video, Enthusiast just love this hobby! We spend tons of money, and we get crappy gear sometimes.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thing is I'd blame my internet maybe, but when it does freeze up it won't respond to any remote commands. I have no other choice but to unplug it for about 10 seconds.
It's very Frustrating! As you know I have tried out 5 of these X700's and All of them freeze up. So yeah in my opinion it is a buggy 4K player. The X700 when it is performing well has a beautiful picture. My Vizio 4K has the Netflix app it won't work it use to, Vizio sent a update back in umm June. It had fix it worked for about 10 days than stopped. All the other apps work on my Vizio but not Netflix. I've done so many hard rests nothing I tried will get it to work. Vizio CS service, pasted to buck saying I have internet issues :rolleyes: I must've called into Vizio CS no less than 5 time's I'd tell them chumps I already had done the Factory reset, and also I'd tell them that the Netflix app works on my Sony 4k player. So just for sh&ts and giggles I'd let them chump walk me through the soft reset and than a hard rest. Than to only hear them tell me it's your internet has the issue not the TV.:rolleyes:. All this was do before the 1 year warranty had run out but now it has no warranty. So yeah be careful with Vizio they love passing the buck. Other than the app issue the TV has been a good one. It only cost me 338.00 plus tax a bottom feeder tv. I'm gonna try their M-Model next year I'll upgrade to a 65". Don't you fellow audio/video, Enthusiast just love this hobby! We spend tons of money, and we get crappy gear sometimes.
You like to use the Netflix channel. Just resolve your problem cheaply by getting a Roku Ultra streaming player. I've been using one of their products and can't complain about its performance. It works well. :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
You like to use the Netflix channel. Just resolve your problem cheaply by getting a Roku Ultra streaming player. I've been using one of their products and can't complain about its performance. It works well. :)
I will get one, going pick one up today, you guys been trying to tell me that.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I agree. I would never use the X700 for Netflix. It's not its primary function and it's asking for trouble. I use the 700X on top of 1" pedestal and it never freezes when playing movies.

I use the TV for Netflix or Roku sometimes. Both are much better than any of the Blu-ray player attempts to provide internet services.

Last edited:
H

Huey645

Audioholic
I have the X800 as well as a Roku Ultra, and think the quality of the picture is better with the Sony, especially with color banding. Was watching an episode of Space Force awhile back on the Roku, noticed some horrible color banding in one scene, played the same scene on the Sony, and no color banding.

For those with heat issues, before I would start drilling holes in the side, I'd probably look for a laptop external fan to slide underneath the unit. It's flat and usually pulls air in from the top and shoots it out the back, and have used one when I didn't have as much room in the rack and was worried about heat.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It's a mess out there. A streaming device might send a great image but may not support atmos or even 5.1 depending on the app. I use the Apple TV 4K for most streaming. Don't get me started on them sending PCM for everything except atmos. Just bitstream it all the way around! There is no single device that does it all perfectly and that is no accident. Consider your hardware capabilities and then consider a streaming device with app capabilities to match it. If I'd done more research, I wouldn't be making another trip to BB to return the Nvidia Shield Pro. If only the GUI was as cool looking as the actual device. Sorry, what is this thread about again? Oh yeah, Go X700! :p

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It's a mess out there. A streaming device might send a great image but may not support atmos or even 5.1 depending on the app. I use the Apple TV 4K for most streaming. Don't get me started on them sending PCM for everything except atmos. Just bitstream it all the way around! There is no single device that does it all perfectly and that is no accident. Consider your hardware capabilities and then consider a streaming device with app capabilities to match it. If I'd done more research, I wouldn't be making another trip to BB to return the Nvidia Shield Pro. If only the GUI was as cool looking as the actual device. Sorry, what is this thread about again? Oh yeah, Go X700! :p
I can remember when they started adding apps to tv's it was Horrible. It's gotten better but still issues are all over the map.

M

MTVhike

Audioholic Intern
I have the X800 and have had zero overheating problems, but I don't use it for hours on end - just playing SACDs, DVD-As, or regular DVDs. Never tried the Netflix App, because my TV has Netflix built in (it's a TCL with Roku TV).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis