Sonos vs traditional 5.1

C

cpmiller22

Enthusiast
I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about people going with Sonos for home theater using the arc soundbar, sub, and rear speakers. I wanted to hear people’s thoughts on going that route vs installing 5 in-ceiling speakers (thinking Klipsch) with a recover and a sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Depends on where it is going imo. An office or den, or bedroom? That could be ok. For a serious HT, you definitely wouldn’t want Sonos, OR 5 IC speakers and sub. Although I would choose 5.1 IC of the two.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about people going with Sonos for home theater
Hearing good things from where? Audio Forums?

Sonos IMO is good for whole house audio, but not H/T

P

PJT

Audiophyte
Hi,
I have current set up with Denon AVR-1613 and Mirage Nanosat 5.1.Since I will be switching TV to LG OLED, thinking to simplify home theater set up to Sonos Arc (+ sub in the future). However since I have speakers, considering upgrade of AV Receiver only to Marantz NR1711.Is sound bar set up even close to to full 5.1 home theater configuration?Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hi,
I have current set up with Denon AVR-1613 and Mirage Nanosat 5.1.Since I will be switching TV to LG OLED, thinking to simplify home theater set up to Sonos Arc (+ sub in the future). However since I have speakers, considering upgrade of AV Receiver only to Marantz NR1711.Is sound bar set up even close to to full 5.1 home theater configuration?Thanks
SoundBar close to full 5.1 - IMO No!!!

Before I use a soundbar I would consider using a pair of these

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Soundbar or in-ceiling speakers doesn't sound like a good choice either way. I'd prefer traditional components/speakers myself. Is the asesthetic your main concern? Looking at the Sonos Arc page....can't imagine using a soundbar with such tiny drivers myself, their sub looks somewhat anemic and apparently only works with Sonos gear, too. I prefer the flexibility of standard components vs the closed system expectations of Sonos (or Bose). Be nice if Sonos published actual specs, too.

As to the change in avr, what do you gain from the change?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about people going with Sonos for home theater using the arc soundbar, sub, and rear speakers. I wanted to hear people’s thoughts on going that route vs installing 5 in-ceiling speakers (thinking Klipsch) with a recover and a sub.

Yeah probably by people who never had a amp and speakers .
If the room is small soundbar could be fine .
In ceiling speakers are tough to install and I’m not sure if it’s worth it . Though I’ve seen some cool looking ones

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hi,
Doubt a Sonos soundbar will sound better then mirages but maybe a higher end one may be comparable..

soundbar are like 3.1 and if you get the Sonos post a review post ..

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Sonos is decent but for a similar price, a full surround system could be bought. With Denon and Yamaha building their streaming into them, it makes being limited to Sonos a bad call unless you already use Sonos for other streaming speakers.

Sonos net is weak- they also don't always connect via IP and they absolutely should. Sonos also builds a 75 mS delay into their devices, aside from the Arc, Amp and possibly the Playbar or Beam- this means that connecting a TV doesn't allow streaming to other rooms without lip synch issues, which can be a problem if at least one area is connected (like a family room & kitchen). This isn't important if the 5.1 won't be connected to other zones with its TV as a source.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sonos is decent but for a similar price, a full surround system could be bought. With Denon and Yamaha building their streaming into them, it makes being limited to Sonos a bad call unless you already use Sonos for other streaming speakers.

Sonos net is weak- they also don't always connect via IP and they absolutely should. Sonos also builds a 75 mS delay into their devices, aside from the Arc, Amp and possibly the Playbar or Beam- this means that connecting a TV doesn't allow streaming to other rooms without lip synch issues, which can be a problem if at least one area is connected (like a family room & kitchen). This isn't important if the 5.1 won't be connected to other zones with its TV as a source.
Why do they carry such a high price tag ? Just brand name like bose ??! add additional speakers subs cost a ton

This is even dumber passive...

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Why do they carry such a high price tag ? Just brand name like bose ??! add additional speakers subs cost a ton
This is even dumber passive...

Marketing often creates/increases demand- Sonos is decent, but they have issues that prevent people buying and recommending it. If one of my customers has it before they ask me to add more, I do it but if they ask about streaming options, I lay it out for them- other brands offer more.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic

Well, it has been three months. What did you end up choosing and what do you think?

(My preference for a stealthy clean look but with good audio are In Wall speakers. Those plus a discrete subwoofer -- even in wall if you must and have the budget -- tend to be more pleasing than a soundbar and or ceiling speakers.....though I definitely use a sound bar in a bedroom with a small TV for casual viewing.)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Why on earth would you want in ceiling speakers ?? You need something ultra high end to sound good .
Sonos and soundbars are for rooms you don’t feel like hooking up a 5.1-7ch but they never replace more then a 3.1 system .
I’f you got a high budget but box speakers are far better ...
Maybe so you don’t gotta look at them ?
Try googling more info

S

Subtle.System

Audiophyte
I know this is an old post but just to clarify Sonos is not as good as a traditional 5.1 surround sound...
Sonos is very convenient and works well for what it is... but my denon receiver with klipsch speakers are superior.., like, by far... so much more depth... and for 800 dlls you could get a super nice sub, I really don't think the sub is worth it.,, I love the convenience... it's super easy to connect and setup, the ability to add a bunch more speakers is cool too... the sales guy told me it had "audiophile" leve quality sound... no way!
it must me compressed because of wifi or don't know...
but my denon system blows it out of the water... it's not even close! Seriously! Not even close, and for music is the same... the depth and clarity coming from my big speakers are in another level compared to the sonos.., but it does look sleek with my 86" oled ...
might get a second sub although it hurts because I could get a super nice svs ...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I know this is an old post but just to clarify Sonos is not as good as a traditional 5.1 surround sound...
Sonos is very convenient and works well for what it is... but my denon receiver with klipsch speakers are superior.., like, by far... so much more depth... and for 800 dlls you could get a super nice sub, I really don't think the sub is worth it.,, I love the convenience... it's super easy to connect and setup, the ability to add a bunch more speakers is cool too... the sales guy told me it had "audiophile" leve quality sound... no way!
it must me compressed because of wifi or don't know...
but my denon system blows it out of the water... it's not even close! Seriously! Not even close, and for music is the same... the depth and clarity coming from my big speakers are in another level compared to the sonos.., but it does look sleek with my 86" oled ...
might get a second sub although it hurts because I could get a super nice svs ...
Yep . Wonder what the op did he’s yet to come back lol ghosted ..

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis