Sondek lp 12 volume issue

S

SwissTony

Audiophyte
Hi all, first post.
Got a mate who has just acquired a Linn Sondek lp 12 with a k9 cartridge on a Basik plus arm, which is plugged in on input one on a linn kolektor and set to phono. The problem he is having, is even with the volume on the kolektor set at 100, the output volume is not that loud.
He also has a Linn Genki CD player plugged in to the kolektor, which at 100 percent volume would blow you ear drums out.
Prior to getting the Sondek, he had another record player connected with no issues.
Music doesn't sound distorted in any way and plays at equal volume on left and right side.
Any ideas?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi all, first post.
Got a mate who has just acquired a Linn Sondek lp 12 with a k9 cartridge on a Basik plus arm, which is plugged in on input one on a linn kolektor and set to phono. The problem he is having, is even with the volume on the kolektor set at 100, the output volume is not that loud.
He also has a Linn Genki CD player plugged in to the kolektor, which at 100 percent volume would blow you ear drums out.
Prior to getting the Sondek, he had another record player connected with no issues.
Music doesn't sound distorted in any way and plays at equal volume on left and right side.
Any ideas?
Is it plugged into a phono or is he using a phono preamp? If not, and connected to just a generic input, volume and sound will be off.

S

SwissTony

Audiophyte
Plugged into input 1 phono connectors on back of the Linn Kolektor pre amp.
Old working record player was removed and the new one plugged in the same input.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Plugged into input 1 phono connectors on back of the Linn Kolektor pre amp.
Old working record player was removed and the new one plugged in the same input.
Not sure then but @TLS Guy should be able to chime in with some information.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all, first post.
Any ideas?
I suspect that K9 cartridge if faulty. The preamp has 2.5 mv sensitivity and the output of the K9 is 4.5 mv which is a relatively high output. The cartridge has a reputation for having a high output. My guess is that the small moving magnets have lost flux density due to aging, which certainly can happen.

I think the only solution is a different cartridge, that one is done. For a rig of that standard, I would recommend and Ortofon Black. That would be an upgrade form that K9 in any event.

S

SwissTony

Audiophyte
Is there any way of testing the cartridge to confirm before coughing up £500+

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Is there any way of testing the cartridge to confirm before coughing up £500+
What you have described is test enough, and there are no others. You know the rig works with other MM cartridges. The output of the K9 should be 4.5 mv, and the preamp has a sensitivity of 2.5 mv. What more evidence could you possibly want?

S

SwissTony

Audiophyte
OK, thanks for your help.
Ortofon 2m black the one I need to look at?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OK, thanks for your help.
Ortofon 2m black the one I need to look at?
I don't know the precise details and overall quality of your system. In addition I don't know how important LP reproduction is to you. However, you would seem on the face of it to have a fairly high end system. What I do know is that unless LP reproduction is not at least close to a par with digital sources, people do not tend to play LPs.

I suggested the Ortofon black as a good and well regarded cartridge with state of the art performance, that does not break the bank. An alternative would be the Ortofon Blue, but I would not get a lesser cartridge than that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis