sonas beam gen 2 too loud

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
Hi,

Hoping someone could help advise if there is anything i can set on the sonos to help my problem or if a different product for what I seek is better to go for ( i am basically looking for clear dialogue and output levelling so action scenes in between talking arent stupidly loud)

I have an LG OLED CX 55" and tv speakers arent an alternative here.

I bought a sonos beam gen 2 but I find I have to keep adjusting the volume between dialogue scenes and actions scenes as its too loud. I am watching stranger things on netflix currently but same with all modern shows - here are some things i have already tried and i cant see anything else to try.

1) night mode and dialogue mode ON
2) compressed audio output to try and create an output levelling effect
3) tried difference balances between volume limit and volume
4)tried optical and hdmi input
5)tried all netflix audtio settings (atmos, 5.1, original,) watching in original is better but issue persists.
6) turning bass down in eq

I had the same issue with sound bars a few years ago before i decided to opt for a ZVOX AV200for clear dialogue and output levelling despite sound feeling tinny ive put up with it for a few years as i was getting above issue on everything else i tried. I thought maybe modern soundbars would have this sorted but dissapointed the sonas beam gen 2 is the same.

Any settings to try or other sound bars recommended?

thanks..

Luke

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,

Hoping someone could help advise if there is anything i can set on the sonos to help my problem or if a different product for what I seek is better to go for ( i am basically looking for clear dialogue and output levelling so action scenes in between talking arent stupidly loud)

I have an LG OLED CX 55" and tv speakers arent an alternative here.

I bought a sonos beam gen 2 but I find I have to keep adjusting the volume between dialogue scenes and actions scenes as its too loud. I am watching stranger things on netflix currently but same with all modern shows - here are some things i have already tried and i cant see anything else to try.

1) night mode and dialogue mode ON
2) compressed audio output to try and create an output levelling effect
3) tried difference balances between volume limit and volume
4)tried optical and hdmi input
5)tried all netflix audtio settings (atmos, 5.1, original,) watching in original is better but issue persists.
6) turning bass down in eq

I had the same issue with sound bars a few years ago before i decided to opt for a ZVOX AV200for clear dialogue and output levelling despite sound feeling tinny ive put up with it for a few years as i was getting above issue on everything else i tried. I thought maybe modern soundbars would have this sorted but dissapointed the sonas beam gen 2 is the same.

Any settings to try or other sound bars recommended?

thanks..

Luke
Not only is it a soundbar, but a small one at that, basically TV speakers. Until you move up to an act and some decent speakers,. It's never gonna sound great. I can't imagine that that thing has very much processing power to carryout EQ and other features effectively.

Placement is probably causing issues as well, particularly the difference in volume being great between low and loud scenes.

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
Not only is it a soundbar, but a small one at that, basically TV speakers. Until you move up to an act and some decent speakers,. It's never gonna sound great. I can't imagine that that thing has very much processing power to carryout EQ and other features effectively.

Placement is probably causing issues as well, particularly the difference in volume being great between low and loud scenes.
thanks for responding - high end sound is not really what i priotize for living room viewing. Its too much actually to have cinematic sound in a living room - essentially, i am looking for just decent tv speakers which is why i opted for sonas beam

its the jump in levels of sound i want to get rid of .

are there any fairly decent sound bars with like output leveling that stops this/

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
thanks for responding - high end sound is not really what i priotize for living room viewing. Its too much actually to have cinematic sound in a living room - essentially, i am looking for just decent tv speakers which is why i opted for sonas beam

its the jump in levels of sound i want to get rid of .

are there any fairly decent sound bars with like output leveling that stops this/
To do what you want would require a gated limiter/compressor. I don't think this is anything you will find on cheap domestic gear.

Last edited:
W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
You wish. Just live with it. There's always a difference in dialog and sound effects/music.

Soundbars aren't good in the first place.

I can't believe people that actually want to make the sound worse than what is actually delivered.

Enjoy or not enjoy, it's your choice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your current night mode is likely as good as it gets for dynamic compression in a sound bar...the general problem is the soundbar, tho.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis