Sometimes Craigslist blows my mind

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
33993DF5-97C4-4DDA-B772-E481494C7643.jpeg

I do a fair amount of buying and selling on Craigslist, eBay, Audiogon, etc so I do consider myself a somewhat knowledge bargain hunter. That being said I thought this ad was a joke. I politely emailed the seller and asked him if the price was negotiable and how he arrived at it to begin with and was met with a series of hostile responses from I don’t know anything about high end audio equipment to the suggestion that I should stick with the Wal-Mart stereo equipment that I’m apparently used to using. At this point in my life I’m not a guy who’s going to aggressively respond to insulting emails like I’m a 20 year old kid, so instead I sent him a dozen different setups that are currently for sale locally and on eBay complete with speakers, a multichannel amp, CD player, tuner and cassette desk; obviously they’re from various sellers but the point I was making is that for less than half of what he’s asking for his 20 year old Big Box store special you can get far superior equipment. $1900+ is a TON of money in the used marketplace, at least in my experiences. Yesterday I picked up a mint condition Denon 4300h with a Dayton Audio SA230 subwoofer amp and 4 Aura bass-shakers for $500 about a 3hr round trip from where I live. Anyways, I was than responded with a series of illogical and inaccurate justifications; the Adcom Pre/Power amp combo, NAD CD player, Marantz cassette deck, Adcom tuner and a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40’s (listed for $350 about 6hrs away I may go get them at one point) were not anywhere near the quality of his beloved castle of Pioneer plastic as if any of those brands were high end they would be sold at every possible retail outlet they could get them into but they must be junk because he’s never heard of them. So there it is, if you wanted a good laugh for the night just go ahead and sit back and think about a person looking at that system and thinking to themselves “It’s worth AT LEAST $1,900”.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fixed it. Hey HD, what do you know about Triad speakers? Any experience with them?
Thanks. LOL, altho he just might someone who thinks its vintage or something and willing to pay for it :)

If I ever get back up to Portland I was thinking to go check them out, if they have anything for the public, that is. I've never seen one in the flesh; I don't think I've seen a negative comment on them.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
View attachment 44609
I do a fair amount of buying and selling on Craigslist, eBay, Audiogon, etc so I do consider myself a somewhat knowledge bargain hunter. That being said I thought this ad was a joke. I politely emailed the seller and asked him if the price was negotiable and how he arrived at it to begin with and was met with a series of hostile responses from I don’t know anything about high end audio equipment to the suggestion that I should stick with the Wal-Mart stereo equipment that I’m apparently used to using. At this point in my life I’m not a guy who’s going to aggressively respond to insulting emails like I’m a 20 year old kid, so instead I sent him a dozen different setups that are currently for sale locally and on eBay complete with speakers, a multichannel amp, CD player, tuner and cassette desk; obviously they’re from various sellers but the point I was making is that for less than half of what he’s asking for his 20 year old Big Box store special you can get far superior equipment. $1900+ is a TON of money in the used marketplace, at least in my experiences. Yesterday I picked up a mint condition Denon 4300h with a Dayton Audio SA230 subwoofer amp and 4 Aura bass-shakers for $500 about a 3hr round trip from where I live. Anyways, I was than responded with a series of illogical and inaccurate justifications; the Adcom Pre/Power amp combo, NAD CD player, Marantz cassette deck, Adcom tuner and a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40’s (listed for $350 about 6hrs away I may go get them at one point) were not anywhere near the quality of his beloved castle of Pioneer plastic as if any of those brands were high end they would be sold at every possible retail outlet they could get them into but they must be junk because he’s never heard of them. So there it is, if you wanted a good laugh for the night just go ahead and sit back and think about a person looking at that system and thinking to themselves “It’s worth AT LEAST $1,900”.
Probably worth $50 haha .... what’ a moronic advertisement

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I sell Triad speakers. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Before the pandemic, Triad would sometimes do factory tours. In the meantime, check this out:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
LOL, but it only takes one 'fish' to bite !
Or a Swedish Surströmming :)

I've eaten it once and noted that 1) It was eaten outdoors 2) Box of rotten fish was opened very carefully under running tap water since it was under pressure due to fermentation 3) Lots of onion, potatoes, bread, etc to help with the salty acidic 4) Lots of booze 5) More booze

Far downwind from us a neighbour with a young dog about a one year old approached and the dog made the weirdest sounds I've ever heard from a dog.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Oh you've done far worse purchases for $50, haven't you?
Probably $50 in total .
I already had decent speakers before these blunders , it’s feels like a mental breakdown.
My worst purchases were mini hifi speakers for those old shelf systems like each pair costed $10 ea.. I used one of the 3 pairs for a month cuz it matched my old stereo speakers. Bought a Sony center for $10-20 never rushed them again and there unsellable junk ...
$8 I bought the worst speakers ever someone lied to me said fix them with elmers glue on another forum I was banned for no reason other then asking for help. no warning ⚠ or anything ...sites Like that are trash .
7EC1879E-7170-45A5-8A39-3F4F31A8D610.jpeg
3B5CBAA6-CDB0-42C0-A0BD-B55545F7C874.jpeg
3B93DCF6-8441-4626-B1FA-75033BDE36C0.jpeg

And two-3 Sony duel woofer speakers .
The wooden speakers like glorified fire wood . Phillips in middle is 3 way but no midrange lmfao ... best of the the bunk junk speakers

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh you've done far worse purchases for $50, haven't you?
That's some of what I remembered. In any case a full functioning system like that would be a bargain for someone with a small budget who needed a whole system. $1925 is of course ridiculous for that particular set of gear. Even new I think it was.

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
Damn you picked up a denon x4300 with setup for 500? Deal of your career or ignorant sale. Or sizzling hot. Either way score.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That system has to be at least 20 years old- "modern-looking"? Maybe if someone from the 1930s has to describe it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Probably $50 in total .
I already had decent speakers before these blunders , it’s feels like a mental breakdown.
My worst purchases were mini hifi speakers for those old shelf systems like each pair costed $10 ea.. I used one of the 3 pairs for a month cuz it matched my old stereo speakers. Bought a Sony center for $10-20 never rushed them again and there unsellable junk ...
$8 I bought the worst speakers ever someone lied to me said fix them with elmers glue on another forum I was banned for no reason other then asking for help. no warning ⚠ or anything ...sites Like that are trash .
View attachment 44644View attachment 44645View attachment 44646
And two-3 Sony duel woofer speakers .
The wooden speakers like glorified fire wood . Phillips in middle is 3 way but no midrange lmfao ... best of the the bunk junk speakers
I think someone was messing with you, telling you to elmer's glue those drivers... that's horrible advice.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sometimes you want to reach out and tell them they won't get $300 for their white van speakers.. That what they paid has nothing to do with what they're worth.

But then you realize you can't save the world.

I usually just roll my eyes and keep going.

Conversely, if I see something woefully undervalued, am I gonna tell them they're giving it away, or am I going to rush to their house to buy it before the next vulture does?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sometimes you want to reach out and tell them they won't get $300 for their white van speakers.. That what they paid has nothing to do with what they're worth.

But then you realize you can't save the world.

I usually just roll my eyes and keep going.

Conversely, if I see something woefully undervalued, am I gonna tell them they're giving it away, or am I going to rush to their house to buy it before the next vulture does?
I have come close on more than one occasion to contacting a white van speaker seller just to blast them, but like you said, can't save the world, lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is a bit more reasonable, anyone want to piss off the neighbors?

This guy has that deal beat.

Whole stack of Macs for a dollar! So, why do they do that anyway, put a dollar or even $0 in the ads?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis