Something to consider before buying a PS3.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
OK, Before I heard about this new "feature", I was all go for the PS3.

Just as a background, I have a PS2, and 2 games. Gran Turismo 3, and Gran Turismo 4. I like the racing games.

Last night at my movie night, my friend informed me that GT HD is going to have a new, and in sony's perspective, cool feature. It's called "Buy your way through a game!".

That's right folks. In order to advance in the game (I assume after a bit of game play) you will have to pull out your CC, or head down to a store, and buy cars, tracks, and other crud in order to continue with the game.

This has to be the stupidest thing I have ever ****ing heard.

Once it came down to the numbers, it went to the tune of over 2 thousand dollars in order to complete the game. It takes MONTHS to beat the game by itself, let alone forking out c notes to get new tracks. And this isn't just for GT HD, they're including it on other games as well.

I will be consulting my source tomorrow for further information regarding this, and finding other games that will have this glorious feature.

Wii all the way,

SheepStar

Last edited:
MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
It's a SONY:rolleyes: Greedy little F**K'S......PS3 defiantly off the want list now. How the hell can they justify $2,000 to complete a game.

'Here you go loyal PS fans we'll give you a world class game console at a premium price and then screw you on the software for life'.

I hope this is not true, but it's absolutely Sony's cup of tea, it'll serve them right If there's hacks within weeks to allow people to finish the game. Are these consoles only for the middle class businessman with cash to spare and not for kids anymore WTF! Very uncool Sony, get a grip on reality.

cheers

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Far be it for me to stick up for Sony, but I can't believe even they would be that stupid.
I'm surprised some one hasn't come up with this idea sooner. But to tarnish the playstation name and alienate future buyers........ I gotta believe they'll come to their greedy little senses.

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
Sheep said:
OK, Before I heard about this new "feature", I was all go for the PS3.

Just as a background, I have a PS2, and 2 games. Gran Turismo 3, and Gran Turismo 4. I like the racing games.

Last night at my movie night, my friend informed me that GT HD is going to have a new, and in Sony's perspective, cool feature. It's called "Buy your way through a game!".

That's right folks. In order to advance in the game (I assume after a bit of game play) you will have to pull out your CC, or head down to a store, and buy cars, tracks, and other crud in order to continue with the game.

This has to be the stupidest thing I have ever ****ing heard.

Once it came down to the numbers, it went to the tune of over 2 thousand dollars in order to complete the game. It takes MONTHS to beat the game by itself, let alone forking out c notes to get new tracks. And this isn't just for GT HD, they're including it on other games as well.

I will be consulting my source tomorrow for further information regarding this, and finding other games that will have this glorious feature.

Wii all the way,

SheepStar
You are correct, you have to some what "buy your self through the game" in the upcoming Gran Turismo HD game for PS3. Let's get one thing straight though, Gran Turismo is not made by Sony, it's made by Polyphony. There has been no other word on any other games doing this for any other platform.

So why are people in an uprising about this? The 360 has been doing this for a year on a smaller scale and the PC has been doing it way longer. There are expansion maps, features, and extras, you can purchase to add to a game after you dropped $59.99 on it and after you paid $50 a year for the Xbox Live service. Also, let's not forget, all the recent EA titles for the Xbox 360 that are $59.99 missing features that are present in the PS2 and regular Xbox versions for $49.99.

This IS becoming a trend in the gaming industry to a certain extent. It's a way a game developer can make more money, but it drains cash from consumers that love the game so much they want to purchase every extra. I think developers might realize in the future this may cause more people to buy fewer games because there money is being spent on extra features...Also, in game ads/server ads are getting over board now.

But, if people want to say that it is Sony's fault, let me add this to the discussion then. It is Microsoft's fault then for standardizing the $59.99 retail price of games for next gen home consoles. Why now, after a well over a decade of $49.99 being standard? Why charge $10 more for games on an old medium, with in-game/server ads, and a yearly subscription fee to play on-line? And the answer isn't "rising development costs."

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Bigsilvs said:
You are correct, you have to some what "buy your self through the game" in the upcoming Gran Turismo HD game for PS3. Let's get one thing straight though, Gran Turismo is not made by Sony, it's made by Polyphony. There has been no other word on any other games doing this for any other platform.

So why are people in an uprising about this? The 360 has been doing this for a year on a smaller scale and the PC has been doing it way longer. There are expansion maps, features, and extras, you can purchase to add to a game after you dropped $59.99 on it and after you paid $50 a year for the Xbox Live service. Also, let's not forget, all the recent EA titles for the Xbox 360 that are $59.99 missing features that are present in the PS2 and regular Xbox versions for $49.99.

This IS becoming a trend in the gaming industry to a certain extent. It's a way a game developer can make more money, but it drains cash from consumers that love the game so much they want to purchase every extra. I think developers might realize in the future this may cause more people to buy fewer games because there money is being spent on extra features...Also, in game ads/server ads are getting over board now.

But, if people want to say that it is Sony's fault, let me add this to the discussion then. It is Microsoft's fault then for standardizing the $59.99 retail price of games for next gen home consoles. Why now, after a well over a decade of $49.99 being standard? Why charge $10 more for games on an old medium, with in-game/server ads, and a yearly subscription fee to play on-line? And the answer isn't "rising development costs."
This isn't an expansion, this is "Sorry, you can't drive this car until you buy it for $69.95."

And there is other games that will feature this, I can't remember what it was called.

THIS, is BS.

Wii,

SheepStar

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
Yea forget the ps3 it is garb, xbox 360 does do this that is correct but they are add ons later in the game, there is not a single game that requires you to buy something to complete it.

Also yes xbox live charges you and ps online is free, but then again the online for playstation sucks, tons of cheating, horrible servers and on and on and on.
Plus there is xbox silver which allows you to download updates background demos skins and more and it is free you just have to make an account.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
FierceTIMbo17 said:
Yea forget the ps3 it is garb, xbox 360 does do this that is correct but they are add ons later in the game, there is not a single game that requires you to buy something to complete it.

Also yes xbox live charges you and ps online is free, but then again the online for playstation sucks, tons of cheating, horrible servers and on and on and on.
Plus there is xbox silver which allows you to download updates background demos skins and more and it is free you just have to make an account.
I'll stick with PC and Wii.

SheepStar

D

davo

Full Audioholic
No one knows how much any of the pay-to-play features are going to cost, but I would advise everyone to get used to it.
Here's a clue. My neice has an on-line character that she buys clothes for. Real cash for digital clothes. She is 10 and ALL her friends are into it. Unfortunately this IS going to permeate into all aspects of entertainment.
Bummer!!:(

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
FierceTIMbo17 said:

Really, you have played PS3 online??? I think not, it doesn't get released until 11/17/06 in the U.S. The PS2 never had an online service, it was the individual developers servers. So once again, blame Sony for it, just like you did with the upcoming Gran Turismo game, which is also not made by Sony...

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
Sheep said:
This isn't an expansion, this is "Sorry, you can't drive this car until you buy it for $69.95."

And there is other games that will feature this, I can't remember what it was called.

THIS, is BS.

Wii,

SheepStar
Where does it say that? Supposedly there will be two versions or modes of Gran Turismo HD released, a premium and a classic version.

Here is a good article to enlighten all the negative people in the dark who would rather speculate then do 5 min of research online to uncover the facts. This article is a couple months old from TGS '06:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/granturismo5/story.html?sid=6158178

I also did read an article a while back that extra cars for purchase would be between $.50-$2.00 from a different source.

Overall, nothing is set in stone until the game is released which won't be for a while in the U.S.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I don't like racing/driving games, anyway, so I don't really care what you need to pay for this one. There's plenty of other games I'm really interested in.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Bigsilvs said:
Where does it say that? Supposedly there will be two versions or modes of Gran Turismo HD released, a premium and a classic version.

Here is a good article to enlighten all the negative people in the dark who would rather speculate then do 5 min of research online to uncover the facts. This article is a couple months old from TGS '06:

I also did read an article a while back that extra cars for purchase would be between $.50-$2.00 from a different source.

Overall, nothing is set in stone until the game is released which won't be for a while in the U.S.
From that Article you linked:

"No price point has been announced for any of the items that will be available, nor do we know how downloads will be made available in different regions."

The fact that you need to buy updates, and cars and tracks is rediculous. Half Life 2 updates itself all the time, and I didn't need to spent a cent extra for those. New maps and characters, free.

SheepStar

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
When you started this thread you stated that "I was all go for the PS3" and even in your title was "Something to consider before buying a PS3", the fact of the matter is Sony has nothing to do with this.

To be fair, I do have a Wii and a PS3 on preorder that are paid off in full so this is a big week for me. There are negatives that every system, and every company have, but to sit back and talk bad about Sony about a game they did not release is just stupid.

I tried to make a similar example of how people should then blame Microsoft for most games being $59.99 for the 360, but the fact of the matter is, Microsoft really has nothing to do with this either only when they release games.

I to, do agree, if the "rumors" are true, that in order to advance in a game is to buy something, is ridiculous. But, the game is not released yet so... And if it is true, I won't buy it, simple as that.

I DO have a bias opinion about Sony because I feel that they have had the best games on a home console since 1995 (PSONE) and that's all that matters.

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
Actually, Sony has quite a bit to do with this. While the game may be made by Polyphony Digital, let's not forget that PD is owned lock, stock, and barrel by Sony Computer Entertainment. It's a first-party developer, basically in-house, they just happen to have their own office down the street.

Also bear in mind that GTHD:p isn't the same as what EA is doing. EA will charge you full price for a game (and then some, for the next-gen versions), and then nickle-and-dime you afterwards.

On the flip side, by all accounts, GTHD:p will retail for next to nothing. Five, ten bucks, maybe. There are even rumors that the disc itself will be free. That makes the nickle-and-diming a little easier to take, since in the long run, it'll only cost you as much as a normal game, maybe less, depending on what you buy.

Atari did kind of the same thing with Test Drive Unlimited. While they will be charging for the car packs that come later, the base game itself was twenty dollars cheaper than every other X360 game.. the same that most first-party PS2 games cost. So again, even if you buy a few of the car packs, it's not costing you any more than a full-priced game.

There are people out there who are doing this at least partially the right way. EA is not one of them.

Me, I think they're missing the definition of the word... Microtransactions. When I think "micro" in terms of money, I think of downloads that literally cost a dime. A quarter. What companies like EA don't understand is that they'd actually make more money selling things at such a low cost, because so many more people would buy them. There are too many people out there who simply refuse to pay ten dollars for a new uniform for your team in Madden. But imagine how many people would buy it if it cost only fifty cents.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Rob Babcock said:
I don't like racing/driving games, anyway, so I don't really care what you need to pay for this one. There's plenty of other games I'm really interested in.
It's the trickle down effect. If they make a bunch of cash doing it with one game, they'll start to apply it to others. Eventually, it could become a standard industry practice. At which point, a game you are interested in becomes affected.

I only play a few games on my PS2, but I don't want to have to start coughing up more than is necessary for the new versions down the road. Hell, I don't even like paying what I have to pay now to buy them.

As far as buying extra or special outfits or items for the characters, I could care less. I like to buy a game and play it incessantly day and night until I complete the whole thing, then let it set for six-nine months. Then play casually when I feel like it.

Jack

R Burton

Audiophyte
XBOX 360 is similar in the fact that you can buy "power". A friend just got Tiger Woods 2007 and after spending $20.00 on "on-line points" is able to drive 350 yards. He kicks my a$$ every time when playing live because I will not spend the $20.00. It's getting TOO easy to spend money on-line!

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
It's only Tuesday, November 14, it is raining, and I just got word from a mall rat I know that there is already a line forming and people camping outside the local Best Buy, waiting to buy a PS3, which is scheduled to go on sale on Friday, November 17, at 12:01 a.m.

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
Jedi2016 said:
I think they're missing the definition of the word... Microtransactions. When I think "micro" in terms of money, I think of downloads that literally cost a dime. A quarter. What companies like EA don't understand is that they'd actually make more money selling things at such a low cost, because so many more people would buy them. There are too many people out there who simply refuse to pay ten dollars for a new uniform for your team in Madden. But imagine how many people would buy it if it cost only fifty cents.
This is why I was a little upset about the Nintendo's Wii's Virtual Console. I was intending to build quite a library of old Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Nintendo 64 games for my Wii. Yes, I was disappointed the Wii didn't have a hard drive but I got over it because SD cards are so cheap now. The thing I can't get over is the cost of the games on the Virtual Console. NES games $5, SNES games $8, and N64 games $10...arg. This is a perfect example of your micro transaction post. I WAS going to buy hundreds of games, but it looks like now, only the ones that I absolutely love to play.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis