Help me understand this new Dynaudio

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The cabinet edges shown on the new Dynaudio, The Bookshelf speaker. This was shown at the Munich Show.

View attachment 67659
It is just a stylistic choice. It might inflame the edge diffraction brigade, but I can assure it will not affect the sound one wit.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
What is there to explain, It's just a bog standard bookshelf speaker, No doubt some self appointed expert will come along and offer a highly technical reason for the side overlap in the design, which will mean absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I saw a Youtube video where they asked the rep about the cabinet design and he basically said the same thing that TLS Guy said. It's just a stylistic choice aimed at the designer home/office market.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I am neither a member of the edge diffraction brigade, nor a self-appointed expert on this subject. But there is evidence that rounded over (¾") cabinet edges make for slightly better measurements than cabinets without round overs. Note the peaks at 4 kHz and the dip at 7 kHz.
A Tale of Two Cabinets

Dennis Murphy does not claim that rounded over cabinet edges make big audible difference – only that it can be measured. If rounded over edges are easily done, why not do it?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am neither a member of the edge diffraction brigade, nor a self-appointed expert on this subject. But there is evidence that rounded over (¾") cabinet edges make for slightly better measurements than cabinets without round overs. Note the peaks at 4 kHz and the dip at 7 kHz.
A Tale of Two Cabinets

Dennis Murphy does not claim that rounded over cabinet edges make big audible difference – only that it can be measured. If rounded over edges are easily done, why not do it?
Once you put the grill on it makes no difference. You won't hear that difference anyway, and I have stopped doing it.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
nor a self-appointed expert on this subject.
What a load of cod's wollop. You really should seek treatment

And all the so-called measurements won't tell you what they sound like.

highfigh

highfigh

A Tale of Two Cabinets

Easily done with solid wood, but not as easy with veneer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis