Some advice please on upgrading my home theater.

L

Langalore

Enthusiast
Hi everyone. I’m new here and looking for some advice.

I watch pretty much everything - from MCU to the best picture noms every year. We love animated movies, too. I want the best experience but am not willing to put out $10k. What should I do for this ~$5k max budget But would really like to stay sub-$3k if possible by not upgrading the tv.
I listen to them frequently for background music while working from home but the main usage would be home theater.

Here’s what I currently have:
LG 65UH615A
Yamaha RX-A880
Cerwin Vega floorstanding Re 30
Athena Audition AS-C1-1 center
JBL PSW-1000 sub
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR bookshelf

The CVs have an odd sound that is repeatable depending on the song or movie I’m watching. It seems to happen at a bass level - when there’s a loud boom, for example.
We got them from my wife’s parents and I know they’re great speakers but they weren’t taken care of. There was rat or mouse poop in them that we cleaned out. Things like that. We tried rehabbing them with a kit to replace the rubber seals around the cones but it didn’t change. I hate watching something and hearing that crackle and I know it’s going to happen when I hear certain music in a movie, like when there’s about to be a jump scare.

The sub, I don’t understand it. Also got it from my in-laws. I don’t know why it has rca right and left input. I have a 1 to 2 rca cable plugged in there now but whenever I move the sub around, there’s a horrible noise / humming from it. I think it’s the connections.

The Pioneers, we just bought. I like them for surrounds.

The Athena, I know nothing about, got it from my wife’s parents. Seems serviceable.

What I’m thinking about (~$2500 cost)
Klipsch rp-8000f floors ($525 each)
Klipsch rp-504c center ($562)
Klipsch SPL-120 ($517)
Keeping the Pioneers

Maybe I’d get the Klipsch Atmos R-41sa ($344/pair) but I’m unconvinced.

I have a huge room but we cut it in half with the couch. I think I can figure out placement and I won’t have the speakers up against the wall. I have room for 1 to 2 ft away for the floorstanding.

My questions
-are those good for the price or is there something else I should be looking at?
-is the tv ok for this setup? I really would love a 75 ($1800) or 86” LG but I think I’m ok with what I have for now. I just wish the colors and contrast were better.
-will my receiver be ok for this setup? I know it’s not a $1500 received but it seems good enough. I see a lot of people recommending an amp and I have no idea how the receiver and amp work together or how costly it is.
-what is everyone using for best streaming or do you need to buy a blu ray? We have an older Xbox one and a firestick 4K. I’ve done some research and seems like Apple TV 4K is the best for streaming 4K and Atmos from the major streamers. I could build that into my budget for $180. We have the highest subs to everything except apple (Netflix HD, Hulu, prime, Disney+, and I have a plex server).

Last edited:
L

Langalore

Enthusiast
Follow up, that I hadn’t even thought about. Is it better to go from 5.1 to 7.1 or 5.1.2? If I’m spending extra, should I go for 2 more surrounds to get that 7.1 or stay at my 5.1 and get the Atmos for bouncing off the ceiling? I really haven’t heard anything over 5.1 in anyone’s home theater, everyone I know has sound bars and doesn’t want a full setup like I want.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Just chiming in real quick before falling asleep so won’t get into specific speakers but with a limited budget go for the best 5.1 you can get, if you add more channels you’ll end up needing to spend less per speaker. A 5.1 with better speakers will b much better than a 7 channel setup with lesser speakers. If you’re talking about atmos, the only real meaningful way to incorporate is to have the actual in ceiling speakers and you’ll need to pay to have those installed as well.
Focus on your subwoofer, center and towers (matching). Would stay away from the klipsch sub, you can do much much better for that money with one of the ID companies. And no other speaker will have more of an impact on your enjoyment.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Those Klipsch rp-8000f Tower’s your looking at would be a huge improvement over them old CV speakers, and yes your Yamaha a880 will drive them if I remember right those Klipsch are not a hard speaker to drive.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi everyone. I’m new here and looking for some advice.

I watch pretty much everything - from MCU to the best picture noms every year. We love animated movies, too. I want the best experience but am not willing to put out $10k. What should I do for this ~$5k max budget But would really like to stay sub-$3k if possible by not upgrading the tv.
I listen to them frequently for background music while working from home but the main usage would be home theater.

Here’s what I currently have:
LG 65UH615A
Yamaha RX-A880
Cerwin Vega floorstanding Re 30
Athena Audition AS-C1-1 center
JBL PSW-1000 sub
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR bookshelf

The CVs have an odd sound that is repeatable depending on the song or movie I’m watching. It seems to happen at a bass level - when there’s a loud boom, for example.
We got them from my wife’s parents and I know they’re great speakers but they weren’t taken care of. There was rat or mouse poop in them that we cleaned out. Things like that. We tried rehabbing them with a kit to replace the rubber seals around the cones but it didn’t change. I hate watching something and hearing that crackle and I know it’s going to happen when I hear certain music in a movie, like when there’s about to be a jump scare.

The sub, I don’t understand it. Also got it from my in-laws. I don’t know why it has rca right and left input. I have a 1 to 2 rca cable plugged in there now but whenever I move the sub around, there’s a horrible noise / humming from it. I think it’s the connections.

The Pioneers, we just bought. I like them for surrounds.

The Athena, I know nothing about, got it from my wife’s parents. Seems serviceable.

What I’m thinking about (~$2500 cost)
Klipsch rp-8000f floors ($525 each)
Klipsch rp-504c center ($562)
Klipsch SPL-120 ($517)
Keeping the Pioneers

Maybe I’d get the Klipsch Atmos R-41sa ($344/pair) but I’m unconvinced.

I have a huge room but we cut it in half with the couch. I think I can figure out placement and I won’t have the speakers up against the wall. I have room for 1 to 2 ft away for the floorstanding.

My questions
-are those good for the price or is there something else I should be looking at?
-is the tv ok for this setup? I really would love a 75 ($1800) or 86” LG but I think I’m ok with what I have for now. I just wish the colors and contrast were better.
-will my receiver be ok for this setup? I know it’s not a $1500 received but it seems good enough. I see a lot of people recommending an amp and I have no idea how the receiver and amp work together or how costly it is.
-what is everyone using for best streaming or do you need to buy a blu ray? We have an older Xbox one and a firestick 4K. I’ve done some research and seems like Apple TV 4K is the best for streaming 4K and Atmos from the major streamers. I could build that into my budget for $180. We have the highest subs to everything except apple (Netflix HD, Hulu, prime, Disney+, and I have a plex server).
General thoughts...great to see you upgrading...I've done it hodge, and finally have done it right...imo there's no real reason to go to 7 ch unless you have the room depth for proper spacing between the surrounds and rear surrounds...and be willing to rent or purchase 7.1 content. A good 5 ch system can be pretty rewarding.

Sounds like movies is the primary usage.

Your questions...

Klipsch...LCR... like... having a tonal balance uniform across the front is a game changer for movies.

Pioneer...surrounds...if you like them, by all means keep them.

TV...this one is a little more difficult for me to advise on, but my experience the older I've gotten, the more appreciative I am of the larger screens. I recently gave my son my 60" plasma and moved up to the mid level 82" Samsung....really changed the movie watching experience.

If you you do end up buying a new TV, I would hold off on the Apple unit until you see that you need it...I've found all the apps or adding them is easy enough directly via the new TV now whereas my plasma was reliant on the roku.

Receiver...keep unless your playback volume is reference level...if so, you would want to consider an AVR with preouts to allow you to add a power amp later if needed.

Sub...while I think the new LCR will make a big difference in your system, the new subs are leaps and bounds better than my previous sub from the mid 90s. This will have maybe as much impact or more as the new LCR speakers.

You indicate it's a huge room so it's more than likely you will want two subs of the same size, and brand/model ideally. It's quite possible to get one large sub capable of filling your space with bass, but it's not likely every seat will have the same experience. The second one helps to even it out over all seating areas.

There are several direct sell companies that offer great value and performance compared to some of the bigger speaker brands subs.

HSU, SVS, are two good ones to start researching....I have two HSU subs....this will push your budget closer to $5k but is well worth it. You can always start with one, see for yourself and add a second later, but they do have multi-sub discounts.

Atmos...I have a 5.2.4 system and really like the immersive feature. In ceiling imo are the best performers, if you can pull it off, go for it, but as movie streamer we're not going to find many atmos movies short term.

Best of luck with it!

L

Langalore

Enthusiast
Thank you for the replies
I think it could narrow down to
-it makes sense to focus on the 5.1 for now and skip Atmos or 7.1.
-focus on LCR + new sub (1 for now)

My room is 18’x22’ and is a nice rectangle. We sit between 10 and 12 feet from the tv. I’ll start with 1 sub for now and get a second later.
I think I understand why there’s both an R and L on the sub now (for using 2 subs!). I also have to do some reading to understand how loud to make the sub and what to set the crossover at.

I probably will try to get a bigger tv if my wife allows and depending on our total budget since we want a new couch, too.
I’ll look at some other threads on here to see if there are other options than the Klipsch LCR. I did some research on the HSU and the VTF-3-MK5 looks like the way to go there.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

My room is 18’x22’ and is a nice rectangle. We sit between 10 and 12 feet from the tv. I’ll start with 1 sub for now and get a second later.
I think I understand why there’s both an R and L on the sub now (for using 2 subs!). I also have to do some reading to understand how loud to make the sub and what to set the crossover at.

I probably will try to get a bigger tv if my wife allows and depending on our total budget since we want a new couch, too.
I’ll look at some other threads on here to see if there are other options than the Klipsch LCR. I did some research on the HSU and the VTF-3-MK5 looks like the way to go there.
You got it!! LCR+a good sub, those 8000f are a good speaker great bang for the buck! I believe there is a Thread on those 8000f’s on AH check it out the ones who have those Klipsch like them a lot. As for the Sub, “Pogre has two of them HSU subs he loves them. Now yes there are other speakers in that price maybe check out JBL 590 towers they go on sale a lot. Also check out Accessories4less they have Canton speakers or give ADTG a shout out he can get you some RBH Impression elites LCR for around 1600 really nice tower speakers. Good luck and happy hunting!

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You got it!! LCR+a good sub, those 8000f are a good speaker great bang for the buck! I believe there is a Thread on those 8000f’s on AH check it out the ones who have those Klipsch like them a lot. As for the Sub, “Porge has two of them HSU subs he loves them. Now yes there are other speakers in that price maybe check out JBL 590 towers they go on sale a lot. Also check out Accessories4less they have Canton speakers or give ADTG a shout out he can get you some RBH Impression elites LCR for around 1600 really nice tower speakers. Good luck and happy hunting!
You meant @Pogre, right? He should be able to tell how much he loves them. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Follow up, that I hadn’t even thought about. Is it better to go from 5.1 to 7.1 or 5.1.2? If I’m spending extra, should I go for 2 more surrounds to get that 7.1 or stay at my 5.1 and get the Atmos for bouncing off the ceiling? I really haven’t heard anything over 5.1 in anyone’s home theater, everyone I know has sound bars and doesn’t want a full setup like I want.
To this I’d say 5.1.2. But now I see your room dims, and I think 5.1.4 is a no brainer. I would do 7.1.4 personally, but I don’t know the whole of your room, and as others have said, prioritize your budget first and build in stages if you have to. Bouncy can work but you’ll need separate modules and be ready to put in some work.
Also. You’ll need to spend a few bucks on subwoofage. That’s a pretty big space, and that’s a tiny sub.
We’ll see if your friends still want soundbars when your done!!! Lol. I know, some still will...

L

Langalore

Enthusiast
Also. You’ll need to spend a few bucks on subwoofage. That’s a pretty big space, and that’s a tiny sub.
The room is big, but we are only “using” half the room essentially since our seat is in the middle of it. I suppose you are still filling the whole space with sound, though, so that’s why I’d need 2 subs?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

In a room that size the VTF-3 is a solid choice. Would recommend going dual even. In fact the very first thing I'd do in your situation is take the hit now and get both subs. You can save a little bit doing the package deal. I know from experience that the subs alone will give you a really nice "wow!" moment. Maybe even more than new speakers. Good subwoofage has a way of elevating and cleaning up your whole system.
You got it!! LCR+a good sub, those 8000f are a good speaker great bang for the buck! I believe there is a Thread on those 8000f’s on AH check it out the ones who have those Klipsch like them a lot. As for the Sub, “Porge has two of them HSU subs he loves them. Now yes there are other speakers in that price maybe check out JBL 590 towers they go on sale a lot. Also check out Accessories4less they have Canton speakers or give ADTG a shout out he can get you some RBH Impression elites LCR for around 1600 really nice tower speakers. Good luck and happy hunting!

You meant @Pogre, right? He should be able to tell how much he loves them. :)
Yes, "Pogre"! Think "poker playing ogre".

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The room is big, but we are only “using” half the room essentially since our seat is in the middle of it. I suppose you are still filling the whole space with sound, though, so that’s why I’d need 2 subs?
You're still pressurizing the whole open area. Subwoofers "see" the total volume of a room and spaces open to it.

2 subs will help you achieve a nice even bass response across a larger area (as opposed to just one or 2 seats) and give you a little more headroom. Helps in dealing with room modes and nulls too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you can probably "get by" with 1 sub for now with careful positioning and some room eq for the bass frequencies, but dual is absolutely the way to go. Hsu make great subwoofers for the money too. Best bang for buck out there. Even hard to top with diy.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I gotta chime in and add a finger to the scale if possible.

Generally agreeing with everything. :)

Absolutely buy two subs now. The VTF3, dual drive package would be a very wise, one time cost. For the price, this is absolutely the best bang for the buck!

I like using your existing speakers as surrounds. You do not need to Timbre- or Voice- Match your surrounds for HT.

Which leaves the absolute most important part of the equation: the speakers for your Front 3. This should be the focus of your budget.

Only upgrade your AVR if you need to for reasons like updated technology, connectivity, or if there is a problem with yours. Perhaps the best buy in an AVR right now is the Denon 3500 from last year. On sale, I can't think of many reasons one could give to not go this route. Among the pluses is the inclusion of Audyssey XT32 which is able to be used with the Audyssey App and gives you some extra control over room correction.

TV... this, I will not speak on. :)

But a Pair of good Towers with matching Center, a Pair of good quality Subs, and maybe a smart strategic AVR upgrade... You might still be able to include the TV. :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I gotta chime in and add a finger to the scale if possible.

Generally agreeing with everything. :)

Absolutely buy two subs now. The VTF3, dual drive package would be a very wise, one time cost. For the price, this is absolutely the best bang for the buck!

I like using your existing speakers as surrounds. You do not need to Timbre- or Voice- Match your surrounds for HT.

Which leaves the absolute most important part of the equation: the speakers for your Front 3. This should be the focus of your budget.

Only upgrade your AVR if you need to for reasons like updated technology, connectivity, or if there is a problem with yours. Perhaps the best buy in an AVR right now is the Denon 3500 from last year. On sale, I can't think of many reasons one could give to not go this route. Among the pluses is the inclusion of Audyssey XT32 which is able to be used with the Audyssey App and gives you some extra control over room correction.

TV... this, I will not speak on. :)

But a Pair of good Towers with matching Center, a Pair of good quality Subs, and maybe a smart strategic AVR upgrade... You might still be able to include the TV. :)
And the Deon 3500 can set distance and level separately for the two subwoofers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Really, the focus on the speakers is where this should turn.

What's your timeframe like for your Upgrade? Do you have any space or WAF issues to deal with? Personal aesthetic constraints? :)

L

Langalore

Enthusiast
Really, the focus on the speakers is where this should turn.

What's your timeframe like for your Upgrade? Do you have any space or WAF issues to deal with? Personal aesthetic constraints? :)
I’m planning on buying them in 1-2 weeks. My wife is cool with it and looking forward to how good the movies sound on it, but she’s mostly really wanting to get rid of that crackle we hear from the CW RE-30s ASAP! Some more on that - it seems to mostly go away if I set the speaker to “small” on the Yamaha and I put the crossover at 120 MHz. It really bothers her when it does that. We are figuring a budget of 3k-ish for everything, any higher and I have to buy her a new couch at 4K in addition to everything I want. So, I’ll stick with dual hsu subs for 1600, probably the Klipsch LCR for $1600ish (although I’m not 100% sold on them yet since they’re such a name brand, idk if they’re a good value or not),

I’m not sure what WAF issues means.

No specific aesthetic constraints, I prefer black cabinets, I guess but not a deal breaker.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
You are going to be so happy to get those subs ASAP, promise. As others have said turn your focus then to front 3. As far as the name brand speakers go, don’t worry TOO much about value...With subs absolutely would always recommend going internet direct from Hsu, SVS, outlaw etc.
With speakers yes there may be better bang for buck options going ID but in my albeit very limited experience the differences are not so drastic, and you must keep in mind you’ll not be able to hear them until you get them. Also depending on which company you might be looking at 3-6 months and God knows how this virus will inflate those times.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis