Some advice please on upgrading my home theater.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You're still pressurizing the whole open area. Subwoofers "see" the total volume of a room and spaces open to it.

2 subs will help you achieve a nice even bass response across a larger area (as opposed to just one or 2 seats) and give you a little more headroom. Helps in dealing with room modes and nulls too.
Could you explain room pressurization? More
Any negatives too a very large sub 15” in a 11” x 11” room ?
Yeah otherwise I’m sure movie theaters would just wheel In a Single mega sub haha . Imagine that 60” -100”beast .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You're still pressurizing the whole open area. Subwoofers "see" the total volume of a room and spaces open to it.

2 subs will help you achieve a nice even bass response across a larger area (as opposed to just one or 2 seats) and give you a little more headroom. Helps in dealing with room modes and nulls too.
Yeah otherwise I’m sure movie theaters would just wheel In a Single mega sub haha . Imagine that 60” beast .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

Langalore

Enthusiast
Here's where I'm at so far:
I realized that maybe part of my issue is how our room was set up. So, I rearranged the room today. The previous owner had speaker wire in the walls for the rear surrounds and I wanted to take advantage of that. Unfortunately, the wire was bad, really bad, goopy and green. So, I just ran new wire but it looks ugly for now. I also bought 2 speaker wall mounts for the rear surrounds. I have not installed them and the system sounds amazing except for these pops we get.
IMG_2993_edited.jpg

You can see the surrounds in this photo, one top of the fireplace mantle and the other on that table to the right.
IMG_2987.jpg

The size of the room (18x22), pardon the mess at the back, I hadn't straightened the computer desks out yet
IMG_2995.jpg

That leads me to what to buy.

I'm trying to convince my wife to buy the 2 HSUs, but at $1600 total, it's going to be unlikely to buy both BECAUSE:

She really wants those front speakers replaced. There's a pop in one of them at certain mhz. I can recreate it by watching the same part of a movie or a song.
So, my options with current budget are thus:
-Klipsch LCR (2xRP-8000F, RP-504C) and 1 HSU VTF3-MK5 sub for ($1702 + $865) = $2565
-Paradigm LCR (2x800F, 500C) but having to use this old sub until we have enough to buy 2 of the HSU =~$2800, it's a guess (I'm waiting on a reply from a dealer about 1 hr away from me to see if he has them

I read the review on here of the Paradigm and had read a bunch of posts on the forum here and they sound like a winner for the price range but I wonder if it's better just to buy the cheaper LCR because the sub will really help out more for the home theater. I don't expect that I'll get permission to buy new LCRs in the next 5-7 years.

We watched Spiderman:Into the Spiderverse today (my daughter's favorite movie) and when the Columbia Pictures title card ends, there's a deep BOOM. I noticed that I was definitely missing what it should actually sound like. I think I was missing so much of the spacing and positioning of the surround the way it was set up before that I didn't realize what I was missing.

Thank you everyone for reading and helping me out. Any thoughts on which to go for?

Added a photo of how I have the speaker wire connected to the AVR, just in case, but I don't think that's the issue with those pops, I think it's the speaker itself.
IMG_2990.jpg

Last edited:
L

Langalore

Enthusiast

I've added a 10 sec youtube video of the sound my speaker makes.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here's where I'm at so far:
I realized that maybe part of my issue is how our room was set up. So, I rearranged the room today. The previous owner had speaker wire in the walls for the rear surrounds and I wanted to take advantage of that. Unfortunately, the wire was bad, really bad, goopy and green. So, I just ran new wire but it looks ugly for now. I also bought 2 speaker wall mounts for the rear surrounds. I have not installed them and the system sounds amazing except for these pops we get.
View attachment 35115
You can see the surrounds in this photo, one top of the fireplace mantle and the other on that table to the right.
View attachment 35119
The size of the room (18x22), pardon the mess at the back, I hadn't straightened the computer desks out yet
View attachment 35117

That leads me to what to buy.

I'm trying to convince my wife to buy the 2 HSUs, but at $1600 total, it's going to be unlikely to buy both BECAUSE:

She really wants those front speakers replaced. There's a pop in one of them at certain mhz. I can recreate it by watching the same part of a movie or a song.
So, my options with current budget are thus:
-Klipsch LCR (2xRP-8000F, RP-504C) and 1 HSU VTF3-MK5 sub for ($1702 + $865) = $2565
-Paradigm LCR (2x800F, 500C) but having to use this old sub until we have enough to buy 2 of the HSU =~$2800, it's a guess (I'm waiting on a reply from a dealer about 1 hr away from me to see if he has them

I read the review on here of the Paradigm and had read a bunch of posts on the forum here and they sound like a winner for the price range but I wonder if it's better just to buy the cheaper LCR because the sub will really help out more for the home theater. I don't expect that I'll get permission to buy new LCRs in the next 5-7 years.

We watched Spiderman:Into the Spiderverse today (my daughter's favorite movie) and when the Columbia Pictures title card ends, there's a deep BOOM. I noticed that I was definitely missing what it should actually sound like. I think I was missing so much of the spacing and positioning of the surround the way it was set up before that I didn't realize what I was missing.

Thank you everyone for reading and helping me out. Any thoughts on which to go for?

Added a photo of how I have the speaker wire connected to the AVR, just in case, but I don't think that's the issue with those pops, I think it's the speaker itself.
View attachment 35118
Tough choice. On the one hand, the Paradigm Premier center speaker is really really good, on the other hand, so is the VTF-3 mk5. The Premier 800F speakers are excellent. I would go with the Paradigms over the Klipsch simply for the superior center speaker design. But you know, you won't be using the extension of the tower speaker when you compliment them with a sub. Some other speakers to look at are the Monoprice Monolith THX-365T and THX-365C speakers. That way you get an outstanding center speaker with enough left over to get a really good sub. You might also think about the Hsu CCB-8 speakers, killer speakers as well, and a package deal might be enough for you to get two subs.

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
With that budget, I'd look at one of Hsu's package deals instead. Front stage of CCS-8s and two VTF3-MK5s for around the same cost.

L

Langalore

Enthusiast
With that budget, I'd look at one of Hsu's package deals instead. Front stage of CCS-8s and two VTF3-MK5s for around the same cost.
I had never thought of using bookshelf’s for the LCR, I had always thought of using only floorstanding.

I read the “bookshelf vs floorstanding vs sub/sat” article on here and I’m still confused about which I should get for a nice system built for HT but one that would still sound nice for just music. And, a system that I wouldn’t feel the need to upgrade in 5 years.

If I bought the HSU CCs, I’d need to buy a couple of stands, too. That’s ok but not sure what to buy.

I’ll also admit to being very new to this. I only recently switched my Yamaha receiver to straight (after reading a thread on here). I mostly stream, so I’m guessing that my sound quality isn’t going to be as good as it could be if I were using blu rays. I used to listen to Spotify with my receiver set to 2 ch audio, but now, obviously, I do straight and I think it’s scaling it to 5.1. If I go the bookshelf route, then I’d still keep the straight and it’ll send the audio below the crossover setting to the subs, right?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How far are you actually sitting from your Speakers, please? (It looks like maybe 9'?)

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
If I bought the HSU CCs, I’d need to buy a couple of stands, too. That’s ok but not sure what to buy.

I’ll also admit to being very new to this. I only recently switched my Yamaha receiver to straight (after reading a thread on here). I mostly stream, so I’m guessing that my sound quality isn’t going to be as good as it could be if I were using blu rays. I used to listen to Spotify with my receiver set to 2 ch audio, but now, obviously, I do straight and I think it’s scaling it to 5.1. If I go the bookshelf route, then I’d still keep the straight and it’ll send the audio below the crossover setting to the subs, right?
If the sub placement worked out (no guarantee of that), you might be able to use the subs as stands for the L,R. Otherwise, you could pick up a pair of nice stands for ~$100. You'd likely use the same crossover as with towers.

L

Langalore

Enthusiast
After a lot more research today, never having even thought about bookshelf speakers. I'm sold on the HSU CCB-8s. Emailed HSU to get a price for 2 of the 3 subs and 3 CCB-8s. Ordering tomorrow or Monday. Thank you everyone.
Now I have to find some stands and figure out how I'm going to position the center channel since it won't fit in my tv center.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm a big fan of wall mounting the TV. Video Secu makes some good Dual-Arm mounts that are sturdy and stable.

VTI, Sanus, Monoprice... there are many stands available. Not always cheap, but important to make certain they are good. Cheap stands are not the way to go. You should be able to get something close to ear height for those speakers.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
After a lot more research today, never having even thought about bookshelf speakers. I'm sold on the HSU CCB-8s. Emailed HSU to get a price for 2 of the 3 subs and 3 CCB-8s. Ordering tomorrow or Monday. Thank you everyone.
Now I have to find some stands and figure out how I'm going to position the center channel since it won't fit in my tv center.
Smart move...iirc Klipsch were on the table...they are nice, a good friend has a complete 5.1.4... no issue for HT, but imo they are opinionated for music which is okay to even good for some genres, not so much for others...these book shelves with the sub support will be a good dual purpose option.

The VTF 2 mk5 will probably get the job done...if funds allow for you to remove all doubt and go for the VTF 3 mk5...do it...I don't think you'll ever question it. In my system below...they do the heavy lifting without breaking a sweat saving the midbass and up for the Salks.

s3a no grills.JPG

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
Please share your impressions and pics when they arrive!

L

Langalore

Enthusiast
A short update. After talking with sales at HSU, I bought the 3.1 VTF 3 package. I was quoted a price for a 3.2 that I can have the 2nd sub sent if I think I need it once setting up the 3.1. Their sales team is awesome!
I also bought Monoprice stands for the fronts (monolith).
mom going to wall mount the rears (I guess they’re called sides now) I think. I bought some cheap wall mounts earlier last week.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
A short update. After talking with sales at HSU, I bought the 3.1 VTF 3 package. I was quoted a price for a 3.2 that I can have the 2nd sub sent if I think I need it once setting up the 3.1. Their sales team is awesome!
I also bought Monoprice stands for the fronts (monolith).
mom going to wall mount the rears (I guess they’re called sides now) I think. I bought some cheap wall mounts earlier last week.
Congrats!!...no brainer, maybe you'll get lucky with ideal placement, but at least you have the "two" price should you decide to go for the second one.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
going to wall mount the rears (I guess they’re called sides now) I think.
A simple search for Dolby 5.1 and 7.1 layouts will show you the proper positioning. 5.1 does not use Rear speakers; both layouts utilize Surrounds. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Ryan is correct.
Here’s 7.1. Imo depending on the room width you’ll want the surrounds between 5-7’ off the ground.

L

Langalore

Enthusiast
OK. Big news, they came today! We don’t have the speaker stands and we haven’t agreed on an entertainment center for under the tv yet, so I’ve had to really mix things up to get them on. I know this setup is awful, but it’s what I’m doing until we get the stands.

Impressions, as many reviews have mentioned, they are “bright” or at least brighter than what I had, which was really bad compared to these. We listened to some music first - just Spotify, so not a high quality recording, but it was great. We were picking up instruments and even though we were 2.1 and not using the center channel, I had to make my daughter check if the center speaker had sound coming out of it. It was great! The left to right sounds on some tracks was excellent. My daughter sitting 90 degrees to me said she thought the music was coming from the middle of the room, not from the speaker just 6’ in front of her (which used to be all you could hear on the old system from that seat).

Then, I played the title sequence from Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse. Please try this at home if you haven’t yet. It’s amazing for checking the bass on this.The 3rd bass drop in the beginning was exactly what I was looking for out of my home theater system. We all sat up worried because our couches shook. On later listens of this sequence, with the volume turned up, I could understand how the bass was working like I’ve never understood before. The actual best spot in the room for it was behind the couch by a couple of feet. I have the sub pointed at the wall and it’s definitely creeping along that wall and hitting the back of the room. The wall was obviously shaking.
We then watched The Greatest Showman as the 5 of us. We listened at -10 on my Yamaha 880. It was much louder than we usually listen. The vocals were excellent, clearer than I’ve ever heard vocal before. But, they definitely were on the high side. I did turn the center channel down (-2) and the sub up (+4) compared to the YPAO settings. I might try the neutral YPAO or but I don’t know yet. It’s currently set to Flat. I’m not sure why to be honest, that’s just what it picked for the parametric eq.

We all did come away after about 3.5 hrs of listening with some ear aches / headaches. I had it up very loud compared to where we used to play movies and music. I don’t regret it one bit but I know I’ll have to have it turned down when my 6 year old goes to bed at night.

I don’t know anything about speakers, but I knew enough to get a lot of opinions and read a lot of reviews. These are amazing and I’m so happy with them and so happy with HSU sales who were quick to answer any question I had and put up with some every basic questions from me because I’m such a neophyte.
Thank you to everyone here who helped me pick these out! I can’t wait to watch and listen more.

The photos are my LCR & TV setup andthe HSU sub compared to the very old JBL I was using.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis