Solar Panels Power Home Theater

J

JAR3289

Audiophyte
I'm kind of curious, how many nights of free energy does it take to pay those babies off. I'm all for the solar and wind technologies out there, I just can't afford them yet.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I'm kind of curious, how many nights of free energy does it take to pay those babies off. I'm all for the solar and wind technologies out there, I just can't afford them yet.
My 6 kW grid-tie solar PV system is a year old this month and will be fully amortized in a bit less than 7 years (with a useful lifespan of at least 20 years and probably more), which does includes the federal and state tax credits and incentives, which cut the effective cost by 50%. At the same time, we upgraded our central A/C to SEER 19, which helped as well. We ended up our first year in the black, which means SC Edison will be paying us a nominal rate for the excess electricity we generated. FWIW, I had an average usage of a bit over 910 kWH-electricity for two HTs, 7 computers, 2 fridges, 2 hair dryers and all the other electronic doodads adds up fast. Now I watch my plasma and listen to my 1.4 kW Class A/B amped system (and dry my hair artificially!) with a bit less feeling of guilt.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis