Solar Panels Power Home Theater

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The “Guiltless Green Home Theater,” which has a 100-inch screen and 5.1 channels of surround sound, uses energy collected from four roof-mounted solar panels. The 175-watt Sharp solar panels collect up to 700 watts per hour during the day, which the HTSA says provides about 22,000 watts per week, enough for 19 hours of off-the-grid home entertainment per week. (The figures are based on an average of 4.5 hours of sunlight per day in the Northeast and the theater’s 1,150-watt-per-hour draw, at full capacity.)

Discuss "Solar Panels Power Home Theater" here. Read the article.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
This is something I've struggled with. Trying to reduce power consumption while still enjoying a good home theater. One step I plan on implementing is running the dvd player to both the TV and receiver. That way when my daughter is watching movies we aren't powering 5.1 for Sesame Street. Heck a lot of times she likes watching her movies on the portable so she can carry it around with her.

N

norm962

Audioholic Intern
that is a fantastic application of green-tech--Happy Earth Day to all!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The “Guiltless Green Home Theater,” which has a 100-inch screen and 5.1 channels of surround sound, uses energy collected from four roof-mounted solar panels. The 175-watt Sharp solar panels collect up to 700 watts per hour during the day, which the HTSA says provides about 22,000 watts per week, enough for 19 hours of off-the-grid home entertainment per week. (The figures are based on an average of 4.5 hours of sunlight per day in the Northeast and the theater’s 1,150-watt-per-hour draw, at full capacity.)

Discuss "Solar Panels Power Home Theater" here. Read the article.
They should have put up a much larger array and the whole house could be green:D

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
My home theater has had a green quality for years - when my friends see it they are green with envy. :D

Senior Audioholic
How much energy was used to manufacture the solar panels? How much toxic waste was dumped into the environment over in China during the manufacturing process?

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against solar power, fact my company sells solar panels, grid tie inverters, and stand alone systems that run on solar.

It's just that solar is not as "green" as people like to think because it's still business as usual for the manufacturers.

Also consider that unless you live in a state with good government incentives and tax rebates, it could take several decades to pay for it's self.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
How much energy was used to manufacture the solar panels? How much toxic waste was dumped into the environment over in China during the manufacturing process?

You could say that with any source of energy, right? Which is greener? Which is more cost effective? What is the trade off? Endless questions.:D

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
Also consider that unless you live in a state with good government incentives and tax rebates, it could take several decades to pay for it's self.
You using Monster solar panels? :p
Jokes aside, yes without incentives it CAN take that long. Like any undertaking, scrounging online for deals and doing some of the work yourself can save quite a bit. Plus I like the idea of the government giving this grant money back to the people rather than the power companies.
Personally living on the fringe of the power grid we got tired of losing power all the time and were getting ready to install a standalone LP generator. Instead we are now in the process of putting in a hybrid wind/solar system. In the long run this setup will not only give us backup, but actually pay for itself.

/Yes I drive a Prius
//Yes I listen to NPR
//Yes sometimes stereotypes are true :eek:

alister

Audiophyte
Hi,

Thanks for sharing the useful information.

Use of appliances working solar power can significantly reduce the dependence conventional energy resources.

There are a lot of ways in which you can easily use the solar power for homes. House solar panels are used to generate the electricity that powers your home. They are many types of solar panels to suite a range of budgets, aesthetics and efficiency requirements, of course the more features you want the higher the price. Solar panels otherwise known as photovoltaic modules generally convert sunlight into electricity, which can then be stored in batteries for later use. If you are going for used solar panel then you need to make sure that they are in good condition and that you have the knowledge and skills to fix any cracks that may exist.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against solar power, fact my company sells solar panels, grid tie inverters, and stand alone systems that run on solar.

It's just that solar is not as "green" as people like to think because it's still business as usual for the manufacturers.

Its a good question. Same theory applies with the energy saving flurorescents with the mercury ballast in them. Which is worse? Landfill site full of leaching mercury or using more energy?

s162216

s162216

Full Audioholic
As long as people want electronic equipment theres going to be loads of energy used in just in the manufacture of the components, the PCB etc.
You have to extract the silicone sand, process it into semi conductors using machinery, make the PCB, solder the components in, make a case for the PCB, distribute the product. All of that is going to use absolutely loads of energy in the end, no matter what you do. Just actually using the equipment is a only a very small part of the energy used.

Bottom line: getting solar panels is a waste of time unless you want to reduce your electricity bill. Hardly any energy is actually saved.

E

Erika111

Audiophyte
About off grid energy

Hello friends,

If you would like to make good use of the sun, it is very doable without costing a lots amount of money. See this Solar Panels and system. Solar Home Stezader 4 kW off grid energy generator system.1,500 Watt off grid Solar Panel System.

T

Tommy2009

Audiophyte
Thank you

This is interesting topic and gave many good post. It is very useful and informative.

D

Duff man

Audioholic Intern
Or, you could put the thousands a solar system will cost against your mortgage instead and save many times more in annual mortgage interest than you will ever save in electricity.

And your house will be paid off faster freeing up more money to upgrade your home theatre... :D

P

paulwood

Audiophyte
PV Panels or modules are undoubtedly among the best suited sustainable energy devices for your home power needs.
There are many different types of PV Panels who differ chemically as well as physically.
Further the mode of operation too differs in several others.
Inspite of all these developments, the most popular and still the best compromise for economy and performance for your home seems to be the Mono crystalline silicon modules, closely followed by Poly (or Multi) crystalline and Ribbon Silicon modules.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis