So, who's going to see DaVinci Code?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
First, not looking to start a thread about the content of the story. Have you read the book or not, and are you going to go see the movie? I read it; I found it quite interesting and I will definitely be going to see the movie, though I don't expect it will be as good as the book.

majorloser

majorloser

Haven't read the book (yet).
Yes, I will see the movie.
Have the book on audio mp3 (only listened to a small part)

I actually think it will be a good movie. I'm not even close to religious but I want to see it. I'm sure the Christian
right wing nut cases will protest it.

I mean really, I didn't protest "The Passion of Christ" when it came out. Even though it took over the prime theaters.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is a work of fiction, so I don't really see what there is to protest. Just like the book, though some points may be factual, the work as a whole is not fact. I believe Passion was protested mainly because it is clearly skewed toward one particular point of view.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Read the book and enjoyed the story quite a bit.
Expect to see it in the cinema with a big box of popcorn.
Wife and I really like Tom Hanks.
I have only one expectation for any movie I ever see...Enterain Me...I do not expect this to be a documentary for there is/seems to be no proof only conjecture, beliefs, etc.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
The book was hardly original (Jesus had kids? My god, thats been a valid theory for 18 centuries) and I have no intention of seeing the film in the theater. Why?

A: It doesn't sound exciting enough to spend $40 to see (tickets + popcorn)
B: I've heard the same story more than once before (I suggest the Garth Ennis graphic novel Preacher)
C: Are you nuts? I'm not going to the movies. I can wait for DVD.

PS: I think I just spoiled the movie for someone. My bad. :p

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
I read the book and loved it. I found the content and the way it was written very attention grabbing and enjoyable.

I was definitely planning on seeing the movie, but the critics have just been ripping it apart over at the Cannes Festival. I've heard complaints like it's too long, the chemistry between the actors is bad, a lot of the scenes are overly dramatic (Jerry Bruckheimer must have taught Ron Howard some tricks), and the movie never ends (like Return of the King I'm guessing). When too many critics all say the same thing, it's usually a bad sign. I hope they're wrong and just being overly harsh - I really want to like this movie!!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
j_garcia said:
It is a work of fiction, so I don't really see what there is to protest. Just like the book, though some points may be factual, the work as a whole is not fact. I believe Passion was protested mainly because it is clearly skewed toward one particular point of view.

Yes, there are lots of factual info in books of fiction. Authors do a lot of research so at least the street names are real, stores, etc:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Rock&Roll Ninja said:
A: It doesn't sound exciting enough to spend $40 to see (tickets + popcorn)
. :p

How many people? Surely seems like a lot of popcorn:D

Matinee?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

j_garcia said:
First, not looking to start a thread about the content of the story. Have you read the book or not, and are you going to go see the movie? I read it; I found it quite interesting and I will definitely be going to see the movie, though I don't expect it will be as good as the book.
I will go with a friend;)
No, I didn't read the book, no intention to do so. Hope the film will entertain.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
didnt read the book
will watch the movie cause GF says so. (but only after my rally protesting the movie Poseidon)

the story can be construed as factual/probable and people might not ride in ships anymore.

saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
Havent read the Book

Will see the movie

Nobody knows if its truth or fiction, nobody can prove that/or testify it.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
saurabh said:
Havent read the Book

Will see the movie

Nobody knows if its truth or fiction, nobody can prove that/or testify it.
Other than the book is labelled by the author that it is a work of fiction. Hmmmm....

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I'm anxious to see it. I've not read the book, but have watched every documentary on TLC, Discovery, etc... It's definitely been proven fiction, but good fiction nonetheless. Before these documentaries, countless read the book and really wanted to believe (Mtry - don't cave on us now!).

Here's a review from IMDb:

The standard 'not as good as the book' applies here., 17 May 2006
Rating: 6/10
Author: George Floyd (GF9) from London, England

I can't say I was blown away by The Da Vinci Code - as is often the case, the book was far superior. I generally like Tom Hanks in almost all his roles, however I found that I had such a pre-conception of what Robert Langdon should be, that it took me about half an hour to get used to Hanks occupying this character - perhaps growing up with Indiana Jones made this all the more difficult. Once I settled into it though - it was a thoroughly enjoyable, occasionally slow moving thriller. Having read the book, I did have a knowledge of the various groups and factions involved - I'm not sure how someone who hasn't read the book will fair though.

The casting of the movie is surely one of it's stronger points - Paul Bettany is almost unrecognisable and plays the menacing single minded Silas to utter perfection. Sir Ian McKellan too, it totally fantastic, and really steals most scene's he appears in. He delivers some great one liners too - a real character actor playing a real character. Audrey Tautou is as we have come to expect, just lovely, and who else could have played Bezu Fache - Jean Reno was made for the role.

As you'd expect from a Ron Howard Production, there is a good amount of cheese, especially towards the end. Langdon's "Godspeed" caused me to awake in the night sweating!

I am a fairly harsh marker on the IMDb, so don't be put off by a 6 out of 10 - I did enjoy the movie, but my anticipation was so great with this film, that it could never live up to my expectation.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
however I found that I had such a pre-conception of what Robert Langdon should be, that it took me about half an hour to get used to Hanks occupying this character
I think this is going to be a problem for me too. I also had a mental image of who Langdon was, and Tom Hank's character looks nothing like that. While I like him as an actor also, I didn't feel he was quite the right choice for the role, though we'll just have to see. Not entirely sure about Paul Bettany as Silas either, but it is maybe less of a stretch than Hanks as Langdon. Jean Reno was the PERFECT choice for the inspector :)

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
No. I learned everything I need to know about fictional early Christianity from "The Life of Brian". :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL :D On a side note, let me just add: "Nobody expects the Inquisition"

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I've read the book and a couple of associated books, including the work from which it was derived.

I think the Church has good reason to protest, as many of the things Dan Brown asserts as "true" are complete fabrications.

The very first page of the book bears an inscription that claims that "All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals are accurate." The book is written in such a manner as to make it look like there is fiction wrapped around proven facts. Brown intentionally creates lies about history (even common, known history) and the Church all over the book. He mixes actual, true, often commonly known facts with fabricated "facts" every other page, giving the impression that the fabricated "facts" are also true.

I do plan on seeing the movie, but this book has obviously convinced a ton of people that it does contain facts. This was by design. A lot of people have been hoodwinked by lies about the Catholic Church, and I think the Church has a *duty* to protest.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not necessarily facts about specific occurences, or the existence of certain people, but things like the existence of the Priory Scion and many other things taken from the many books on which the story was based, are factual, if played up a bit. In reading the book, it was quite apparent to me that it was fiction, and intended as entertainment not a factual account. Anyone who takes it as anything other than fiction has some issues. I don't find it wrong for the church to be offended at all, but I also don't think it is something that should become a media event.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis