So, what company is your least favorite???

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
I figured this could be fun. . . so please share with everyone your least favorite company (audio company or anything else) and explain why you dislike them.
I will start. I dislike bose the most because they ahve my dad convinced that they are the greatest speaker company in the whole world. I can not have one audio conversation without him saying why bose is so great, this will usually lead to an argument and a very angry father.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
GM for today. Horrible mismanagement of the company has led to having to fire over 25,000 people in the US. I can understand that the UAW is making unrealistic demands, but GM has been acting poorly since the early 70's. No real effort has been spent on developing vehichles they need to sell (Has GM offered a compact car since the chevelle?) , they just pool their money into "flagship" products that no-one buys (Cadillac Caterra anyone?)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Monster Cable, because they think they can piggyback the audio and H/T brick and mortar stores into taking up to 30% of the profit, and denying honest paying citizens the right to quality interconnects at Home Depot, Lowes, and local home improvement stores. Their marketing, as well as packaging techniques, make me sick.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
I agree, and with that for the most part every american car company. I like the fact when people buy a GM, Ford, Dodge they think that they are buying into an american company when in fact majority of those vehicles are out sourced to forign companies.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....does anyone remember along with me when Church's Chicken was a good place to go eat price-wise?.....that wad of white meat on their special-cut wings is the best bites in commercial chicken, imo, but damn, used to, you could walk out of there bent over for about $4.50, but now it's 8 or 9 bucks....I guess I'm gettin' old.....

R

rumble

Audioholic
Bose. I just ran across one of their displays at Sam's Club for the lifestyle 18 system. Here is what you get for only $1499!

five 3" plastic speakers
one big plastic speaker(the bass module)
one dvd player(with brushed plastic finish)

Here are some of the great features of the system:

digital 5.1 decoding - improved realism from dvds!
rf remote control - you can control dvd playback from another room!
sound output you would expect from much bigger speakers
you can hide the bass module behind a curtain or chair
Bose(c) breakthrough! - Yes they did copyright the words "Bose breakthrough" I don't believe it has any meaning

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I have to agree with the GM consensus. They have been horrible however for at least thirty years. They were caught flatfooted by Japan in the seventies and were very slow to come around. They built lousy cars with lousy standards. My favorite old story was from that overrated clown of a football player Brian Bosworth (man am I old) who when he worked at a GM factory in high school in the eighties said that he and his buddies would put bolts in enclosed places under the hood to create mystifying rattles. Most of GM's stuff is now outsourced. Yet they pay their CEO's huge bonuses for dwindling market share. The latest layoffs are just part of a longstanding pattern. I am the proud owner of an "American" car built in Ohio by Acura. Let's pay the American worker and reward the engineering intelligence it takes to design a car whereever it comes from.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Hmmm, so Dan...you drive a vehicle that was "outsourced" by the Japanese ;)

I'm not a big fan of Wal Mart. A little too preditory for my taste but I'm not inclined to purchase those types of wares anyway.

Mort

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
100% disagree with GM statement, well 75% disagree. Where I live in Oshawa we have the main production plants for GM Canada. GM Canada started here, is still headquartered here, and our entire city is employed either directly or indirectly by the plants. You guys are whining that GM shuts down plants in the US and isn't high quality, outsourcing, etc.... The Oshawa plant is the #1 rated car/truck plant in the world as of this year, beating out all other imports and domestics, take that Toyota, Honda et al. This plant has been in the top 10 world plants for over a decade. So how does GM reward us? They promise us 2.5 Billon Dollars and instead remove our Battary Plant and ship it off to Michigan to provide jobs there, so stop whining about their loyalty to their home country. I agree that GM is mismanaged at the highest levels, they predicted a $2 billion dollar surplus for the year and were over $2 Billion in debt at the end of the first quarter. I have friends (several actually) that work for GM. My friend that I'm going TV shopping with today is middle management at one of the plants. Recently they pulled him and all managers into a staff meeting to let them know that all of their raises and bonuses were cancelled for the year. This crotch kick doesn't apply to union employees or management at the headquarters building, just the plant management. Another horror story I have revolves around the same friend. Through cost cutting and implementing some idea he had GM was set to save over a million dollars one year solely because of the efforts of my friend. He was called at home by his bosse's, bosse's, boss, a guy so high in the organization that he's around number 3 in all of Canada. He tells my buddy Mat that they are holding a special ceremony at the plant to honour all of the employees in Oshawa that had saved GM a million dollars or more and to expect a pleasent surprise at the meeting and to dress nicer than usual. Sure enough my friend dresses up to go to his ceremony and who is there but the President of GM. Not GM Canada, but GM. The head honcho,the big cheese etc. My friend has had visions of bonuses or promotion swimming in his head for a week or so. I mean you save a company a million dollars and you should get some recognition right? If a union employee had done it he'd get $50,000. What did my buddy get for his hard effort? Well he and the other 5 or 6 employees that had saved GM over a million dollars got a handshake from the president, a quick speach, and a special gift. Now let me preface the gift by saying that the president was a Duke University grad. He handed my friend a tiny stuffed Duke's Blue Devil doll that would have cost $3 to get from a carnival. Then hopped back in his limo to be driven to the airport where his private jet was waiting.

I know it sounds like I'm all over the place but here are my reasons why GM is not a horrible company IMO. Like I said, the city where I live is driven by GM. The original founder in Canada was an incredibly generous man. He sold his company to GM before the great depression. When the depression hit everyone lost their jobs so he made up new ones for as many people as he could. At one point he had something like 40 gardenrs and 30 maids/butlers up from his normal number of 3 gardeners, a maid and a butler. He was a man that took civic resposibility seriously. When he sold the plant he did so on the condition that GM never would be alowed to remove or close down all of their facilities in Oshawa. The college I went to had nothing but state of the art robotics, tons of grants and bursaries, corporate funding, and recruiting drives from guess who? GM. There is a lot of history here with GM, and much of it is good. I do understand how many could have problems with them, but I see them through rose coloured glasses.

My least favourite company is the 700 Club. When I want a group of bible thumping Jesus freaks to preach the word of god to me with one hand while they're digging in my pocket to finance their mansions and limos with the other then I'll give them a call. They might not answer though because they could be busy snorting lines off a hooker's stomach in a bus station in Toledo.

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Hooters...How dare they let strippers wear clothing while I enjoy my chicken wings!

All kiddin' aside, this may be a unanimous Monster and GM thread. Monster's obvious, they bilk people into spending more on cable than their system's worth. Not that their cable is inferior (their amps and power equipment are another story however), just stupidly priced. So stupid in fact, that I wonder if it's the consumers fault for...well...being so stupid.

My worst car was an '85 Oldsmobile Cutlas Calais, although the seats were like a couch and reclined all the way down (giggidy! giggidy!)...held together by duck tape and spit. Horrible mismanagement, inferior product, terrible service, what's to like? And don't fall for the "...it's the union's fault!" crap, last time I checked, management develops strategy, makes decisions and runs the company. A union's ONLY power to strike, otherwise they can be laid off or moved around at the companies will. The only difference being the company must actually have a funcitoning HR department (consice job descriptions and fair representaion) and valid reasoning, which as you all know, they usually lack.

And yes, I've been on both sides of the fence (union employee and senior management) as well as studied both in great depth during my college and university days, not just blowing smoke out of my proverbial a** as so many like to blurt out common locution without knowledge or context.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Mort Corey said:
Hmmm, so Dan...you drive a vehicle that was "outsourced" by the Japanese ;)

I'm not a big fan of Wal Mart. A little too preditory for my taste but I'm not inclined to purchase those types of wares anyway.

Mort
Damn Straight! At least they don't pretend to be American and build it in Mexico. The build quality and technology blow the doors off any GM junk. Some drunken Ohioan did manage to cross the wires on the seat warmer so that the switches controlled the opposite seat. Doh!

I'm with you on Wally world. Home Depot and Lowe's too. The help is lousy and they have the very cheapest stuff. Sometimes that's fine but if I want a higher grade of something they don't have it. I am lucky to have a good local hardware store. They cost a little more, but their stuff is better, I can find what I want quickly, the help is good and it is much closer to home.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Anything Japanese. The words "Made in Japan" meant cheap crap when I was growing up and it's still crap as far as I'm concerned. Just more expensive.

Oh, sorry, that wasn't a company. My bad. :rolleyes:

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Shadow_Ferret said:
Anything Japanese. The words "Made in Japan" meant cheap crap when I was growing up and it's still crap as far as I'm concerned. Just more expensive.
Compared to?? As far as automotive products, I think I'd prefer a Lexus over a Mercedes or Cadillac if for no other reason than quality control. In fact, however, I'll not be purchasing any of the above as I have more important AV/HT gear to aquire.....some of which will undoutedly be of Japanese origin as there is little other choice.

Mort

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
Shadow_Ferret said:
Anything Japanese. The words "Made in Japan" meant cheap crap when I was growing up and it's still crap as far as I'm concerned.
You must have never played any videogames growing up then. . . :D But seriously, I will agree that the Japs products are overpriced as far as electronics go. But their cars are no where near the amount of money than that of Germanys. Come on, you can get an Acura TSX waaay under the price of a new completley stripped BMW 3 series. And are you saying Hondas are overpriced pieces of crap. . . I think not.

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
Monster Cable and Bose
We hate that Monster sells standard products for a premium price.
We hate that Bose sells standard products for a premium price.
Yet we foolishly buy them.

Detroit & Japanese cars.
We hate that Detroit has focused on gas guzzling vehicles.
We hate that the Japanese build more reliable & economical vehicles.
Yet we all foolishly buy the large, gas guzzling Detroit made vehicles.

Enron & Martha Stewart.
We hate that Enron swindled Billions from retirement funds & sent seniors back to work.
We hate that Martha swindled $250K from a multi-billion $ business sector.
Yet we jailed Martha and not the Enron Management or Government officials (same thing).

Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes…
We hate that Walmart buys overseas product and doesn’t pay employees well.
We hate that Home Depot & Lowe’s gets most of their product from overseas.
Yet we all shop there and don’t want to pay the higher priced American/Canadian brands.

So really… I hate the public market. We are the worst company.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Microsoft...they make crappy operating systems and software, yet we use them...I use windows XP Professional Edition...but hey, if you know how to use it properly it'll be fine. Most people don't though.....also $$$$$

Bose

Crappy products

Monster

Overpriced!!! $$$$

Sony

Crappy products.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Aw come-on....who else but Microsoft could sell a $200 product to it's beta testers :cool: That's marketing :D

Mort

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
American Idea

Shadow_Ferret said:
Ok class, anybody study Engineering? The name W. E. Demming ring a bell?

Anyone...anyone?

He's the American who taught the Japanese everything they know? He's a god in Japan. You know why he went to Japan?

Anyone...anyone?

Good ol' fashioned American arrogance. The big three told Demming his ideas were crazy and sent him on his way. A few atomic bombs later, the U.S. government (read tax payers...you) helped Japan rebuild with state of the art production facilities. And with the help of Demming, became the most prolific manufactuers the planet had ever seen (auto, electronic or otherwise). Ironic isn't it? Being the instrument of your own demise? Those who don't learn from history are...well...you know.

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
kaseaman said:
You must have never played any videogames growing up then. . . :D But seriously, I will agree that the Japs products are overpriced as far as electronics go. But their cars are no where near the amount of money than that of Germanys. Come on, you can get an Acura TSX waaay under the price of a new completley stripped BMW 3 series. And are you saying Hondas are overpriced pieces of crap. . . I think not.
There WERE NO video games when I was growing up! :D I was 20 when Pong first came out.

No, things Made in Japan were all the cheap plastic crap you found at a 5&10 store. (Anyone remember those?)

However, I'm aware that it nigh unto impossible to NOT buy something Japanese. Good old American forward thinking in not protecting the copy for the invention of the transistor. ;)

I would never buy an Acura or a BMW. I'm a basic transporation kind of guy. My 1996 Pontiac Sunfire is running great. And yes, I think Hondas are overpriced and overrated. There are better values out there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis