So many speakers such little amount of time...help!

R

Ryan B_112

Enthusiast
Hello everyone!
So I have decided on a room to use as a dedicated HT. The measurements are 19.5' x 11' x 9' ceilings. I have a Marantz SR7012 amp and one old Valodyne 10" sub for the time being. I am looking at the following for my HT setup with 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 configuration.

Klipsch
Front Towers
RP-8000FB Dual 8"
Center channel
RP504C - Quad 5.25"
Surrounds
RP-502S - Dual 5.25"
Back
RP500 - 5.25"

In ceiling speakers I am still researching. So for the Klipsch setup my concern is the size for the room would it be to much? Also would I be better to get smaller RP towers with 5.25" to match the rest?

Any other suggestions with model numbers would be great. Others I wondering about are Martin Logan, PSB, and Totem Acoustics. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Consider getting the older line (RP280F) because it is essentially the same and will be heavily discounted at this time since they are rolling in the new line.

As long as you have a decent sub, the driver size in your towers will not provide audible differences. Do NOT get a Klipsch sub. Get a sub by HSU, Rythmik, SVS, etc. They have much better price to performance and will destroy an equally priced Klipsch subwoofer.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi.
Have you listened to the Klipsh? And do you like them? And if you have listened to them, have you compared them to anything else, side by side? And what were they?
What's your budget for all speakers and subs?
What percentage HT to Audio do you expect?

Not gonna try to recommend speakers (including Klipsch) until I know a little more about your goals here. ;)

The SR 7012 should be solid. I'm using a 6012, myself. If you decide to go Atmos, go .4 with top-front and top-back, like in either of these:
You will need to add an external amp to run all 11 channels if you go full 7.x.4. So plan on matching your Front-3 for voicing, then put them on a 3-channel amp (my personal preference... others will tell you to just run the L/R on an amp... your choice.)
That said, match your Front -3 as close as possible, but don't cheap out on the rest. You asked if you should buy smaller towers to match everything else up... not necessary... but do remember there is a lot of good detail that comes through the Surrounds, and (if you're a gamer, I find a lot of stuff happening in the rears). A rule of thumb I've seen is for Surrounds, Rears, and Atmos: don't go above 80Hz as the lowest freq. And if you are at all interested in 5.1 audio... you want those L/R Surround to be a little more full range if possible. (Oh, and if you are not a gamer, start 5.x.4... spend the extra money on subs, and you can wait to buy the rear channels and the amp you'll need for 11-channels overall.)

Now subs: I agree with Russdawg. Hsu, SVS, Rythmik, as well as Outlaw and Monoprice. All five companies have great product. Depending on your budget and usage, we can help you narrow down some options. I will say this, in a 2000'3 room like yours, you don't need to go crazy. If you check out the Bassaholic guide, you'll see you have what they consider a medium room. I'm a fan of multiple subs, and with the 2 Outlaw X-13s in my room, I do not need more. These are potent, fierce beasts that I have turned down, now, to about 25% and still am fiddling with fine-tuning the gain. ;)
If you go a little smaller, you will find a lot of great value in Hsu VTF-2 mk2 (currently on sale 509(+68s/h)each). Buy 2 now, and a third down the road. ;) Read more about multiple subs... you'll get it. :cool:
Also, SVS PB2000 or PC2000: probably great options for you too. And check out Monolith 10" and 12" also.
Last note about subs. Depending on your budget... Do not skimp on good quality bass. Buy at least 1 of the best quality sub you can allow yourself to afford now, then save up to buy a second matching one later... and then maybe a third. :)

Hope this helps!
Happy hunting,
R

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think of the brands you listed, PSB probably has the most “respect” from AH members.

Other brands include KEF, Revel, Focal, Dynaudio, RBH, Monitor Audio.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
We use Triad speakers exclusively. Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls -- for free.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker - all the way up to $15k per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards.

www.triadspeakers.com

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree with post #2.

For a dedicated HT room where critical music listening is not the highest priority...I like the Klipsch.

If you are more into music and want something that might be a little more neutral in sound than Klipsch....The Monitor Audio Sliver series, and the Revel Concerta line I like.

Agree with another earlier post on Atmos, .4 is better than .2.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would recommend a ported 12in sub such as HSU VTF2 or Rythmik LVX12 or SVS PB2000. You need some boom for it to sound like a real theater. :)

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
You might want to also check out the new speaker line from Outlaw Audio.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/blsv2.html
And
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lcrv2.html

They are a really good value. Much better quality than you typically see for the price and the sound is excellent.

I’ll also give a plug to PSB. I think Paul is underappreciated in the industry. His speakers are very well engineered, far better than many competitors.

I’m not a huge fan of Klipsch myself, but that shouldn’t dissuade you. You should choose the speakers you like. Speakers are hugely personal.

R

Ryan B_112

Enthusiast
Hi.
Have you listened to the Klipsh? And do you like them? And if you have listened to them, have you compared them to anything else, side by side? And what were they?
What's your budget for all speakers and subs?
What percentage HT to Audio do you expect?

Not gonna try to recommend speakers (including Klipsch) until I know a little more about your goals here. ;)

The SR 7012 should be solid. I'm using a 6012, myself. If you decide to go Atmos, go .4 with top-front and top-back, like in either of these:
You will need to add an external amp to run all 11 channels if you go full 7.x.4. So plan on matching your Front-3 for voicing, then put them on a 3-channel amp (my personal preference... others will tell you to just run the L/R on an amp... your choice.)
That said, match your Front -3 as close as possible, but don't cheap out on the rest. You asked if you should buy smaller towers to match everything else up... not necessary... but do remember there is a lot of good detail that comes through the Surrounds, and (if you're a gamer, I find a lot of stuff happening in the rears). A rule of thumb I've seen is for Surrounds, Rears, and Atmos: don't go above 80Hz as the lowest freq. And if you are at all interested in 5.1 audio... you want those L/R Surround to be a little more full range if possible. (Oh, and if you are not a gamer, start 5.x.4... spend the extra money on subs, and you can wait to buy the rear channels and the amp you'll need for 11-channels overall.)

Now subs: I agree with Russdawg. Hsu, SVS, Rythmik, as well as Outlaw and Monoprice. All five companies have great product. Depending on your budget and usage, we can help you narrow down some options. I will say this, in a 2000'3 room like yours, you don't need to go crazy. If you check out the Bassaholic guide, you'll see you have what they consider a medium room. I'm a fan of multiple subs, and with the 2 Outlaw X-13s in my room, I do not need more. These are potent, fierce beasts that I have turned down, now, to about 25% and still am fiddling with fine-tuning the gain. ;)
If you go a little smaller, you will find a lot of great value in Hsu VTF-2 mk2 (currently on sale 509(+68s/h)each). Buy 2 now, and a third down the road. ;) Read more about multiple subs... you'll get it. :cool:
Also, SVS PB2000 or PC2000: probably great options for you too. And check out Monolith 10" and 12" also.
Last note about subs. Depending on your budget... Do not skimp on good quality bass. Buy at least 1 of the best quality sub you can allow yourself to afford now, then save up to buy a second matching one later... and then maybe a third. :)

Hope this helps!
Happy hunting,
R
Thank you for the detailed response. I apologize for the delay I'm offshore with dodgy internet. So I agree with what you are saying for the additional amp still need to research which one to get. To clarify I just meant for the 3 front's all being 5.25". I've always wondered what matching really means previously I've just bought matching centers to bookshelves or towers keeping the same brand. But was curious if having LCR all 5.25' would be better then mixing the RP series with 8".

So at this point I have not heard them myself and don't know anywhere I can compare them where I live. The HiFi shops don't carry them. The budget for 7 speakers LCR, S, BS is $5000. Ceiling will be added later. For the Subs right now I have 1 10' Valodyne . The plan was to get 2 12' after the new speakers due to my budget. I was looking at the SVS model but still doing some research, I will definitely check out Bassoholic. I will be porting my riser as well to help with bass management.

For such a small room does it even make sense to have large towers? The main goal is watching movies and my son will be using it for games. But primary concern is HT. I have an old Luxeman tube amp with PSB speakers for a 2 channel system.

Would love to hear your recommendations and again thanks for the help!

R

Ryan B_112

Enthusiast
You might want to also check out the new speaker line from Outlaw Audio.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/blsv2.html
And
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lcrv2.html

They are a really good value. Much better quality than you typically see for the price and the sound is excellent.

I’ll also give a plug to PSB. I think Paul is underappreciated in the industry. His speakers are very well engineered, far better than many competitors.

I’m not a huge fan of Klipsch myself, but that shouldn’t dissuade you. You should choose the speakers you like. Speakers are hugely personal.
Thanks mate I will look into them for sure. I have an old pair of PSB Stratus towers I mean old in huge oak cabinets. I've always liked the quality.

R

Ryan B_112

Enthusiast
I agree with post #2.

For a dedicated HT room where critical music listening is not the highest priority...I like the Klipsch.

If you are more into music and want something that might be a little more neutral in sound than Klipsch....The Monitor Audio Sliver series, and the Revel Concerta line I like.

Agree with another earlier post on Atmos, .4 is better than .2.

Thank you for the reply. I've heard that now a couple times what is it that makes Klipsch sound different are they not good quality or is it with the design?

R

Ryan B_112

Enthusiast
Consider getting the older line (RP280F) because it is essentially the same and will be heavily discounted at this time since they are rolling in the new line.

As long as you have a decent sub, the driver size in your towers will not provide audible differences. Do NOT get a Klipsch sub. Get a sub by HSU, Rythmik, SVS, etc. They have much better price to performance and will destroy an equally priced Klipsch subwoofer.
I agree the Klipsch sub I tried a while back went back to the store in less then 35 mins. Besides price what is the difference with the RP280F speakers?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Thank you for the reply. I've heard that now a couple times what is it that makes Klipsch sound different are they not good quality or is it with the design?
Design. Their horn tweeter has elevated treble response which causes harshness. This isn’t as evident in their RP series compared to their Reference or lower lines but is still audible. It’s just a different sound signature from something like Wharfedales which fall on the warm (bassy) side of the scale.

But a little brightness is usually preferred in a theater setup because it adds detail to the sound but in a musical setup it is generally discouraged.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I agree the Klipsch sub I tried a while back went back to the store in less then 35 mins. Besides price what is the difference with the RP280F speakers?
Almost nothing. Nothing audible. Just a new cover really. It looks newer I guess lol.

2channel lover

I like Klipsch speakers, but a lot of OEM speakers have a distinctive sound...imo this is by design. They source drivers or in some case build drivers to achieve a signature sound.

I've heard it said that the Klipschorn model floorstander from way back (still made today) was the best rock and roll speaker made. I don't have enough to comparisons to say it's accurate or not, but they have to be on the list if they're not the best.

The newer speakers maybe a little more refined than the Legacy/Heritage series. In my demos ( a good friend has a pr of RP280s with a cc) with other genres they may not be the most accurate (noted to be bright which I would agree with). That doesn't make them bad speakers, but when if your goal as a music listener is to get as close to the producers intent without colorization over a fairly wide spectrum of music, you probably are not going to go with Klipsch.

As a surround system with some duty for music...they're ideal.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Thank you for the detailed response. I apologize for the delay I'm offshore with dodgy internet. So I agree with what you are saying for the additional amp still need to research which one to get. To clarify I just meant for the 3 front's all being 5.25". I've always wondered what matching really means previously I've just bought matching centers to bookshelves or towers keeping the same brand. But was curious if having LCR all 5.25' would be better then mixing the RP series with 8".

So at this point I have not heard them myself and don't know anywhere I can compare them where I live. The HiFi shops don't carry them. The budget for 7 speakers LCR, S, BS is $5000. Ceiling will be added later. For the Subs right now I have 1 10' Valodyne . The plan was to get 2 12' after the new speakers due to my budget. I was looking at the SVS model but still doing some research, I will definitely check out Bassoholic. I will be porting my riser as well to help with bass management.

For such a small room does it even make sense to have large towers? The main goal is watching movies and my son will be using it for games. But primary concern is HT. I have an old Luxeman tube amp with PSB speakers for a 2 channel system.

Would love to hear your recommendations and again thanks for the help!
You would be much better off by going with smaller mains, either smaller towers or even bookshelf models and putting the difference into the subs. You really can never have too much headroom in regards to low frequencies.

A pair or RP600/160s with a pair of good 15" or 18" subs would be a huge improvement over the RP8000s and 2 mediocre 12" subs.

R

RussS

Audiophyte
PSB make nice speakers as others have indicated.
The RBH Impression Series can be ordered directly from their web site and is hard to beat.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
We use Triad speakers exclusively. Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls -- for free.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker - all the way up to $15k per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards.

www.triadspeakers.com
Speaker design nowadays require extensive research in audio science and technology. So if matching colors is the aim, this company is great. But if sound quality is the aim, better stay with large companies with considerable research budget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
I've heard it said that the Klipschorn model floorstander from way back (still made today) was the best rock and roll speaker made. I don't have enough to comparisons to say it's accurate or not, but they have to be on the list if they're not the best.
My brother and I each used to own a pair - well, he still does. Oh my, yes! Rock n roll! Better sounding than a rock concert and as loud as you want!

2channel lover

Speaker design nowadays require extensive research in audio science and technology. So if matching colors is the aim, this company is great. But if sound quality is the aim, better stay with large companies with considerable research budget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
That's not bad strategy in general but IMO it would be a mistake to pass on Triad simply because you have not heard, or are not familiar with the brand.

The smaller boutique brands don't have the resources of Klipsch and some of the larger brand names but they now have access to top quality drivers, crossovers and in many cases the knowledge to tie them together.

Worst case.. listen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis