M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Its Friday afternoon and I'm think brisket for dinner tomorrow night sounds good.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I used the recipe Swerd posted on page 1 of this thread. It was awesome! So good! I smoked it using a mix of oak and cedar because I forgot the cherry at the shop and was too lazy to drive in and get it. After the smoke period, I put it in a tin with apple juice and bourbon to finish cooking.

Swerd, thank you for posting that recipe! Damn tasty. 4.5 lb brisket for 4 people and we didn't have much left over. Really took serious willpower to not gorge myself.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I used the recipe Swerd posted on page 1 of this thread. It was awesome! So good! I smoked it using a mix of oak and cedar because I forgot the cherry at the shop and was too lazy to drive in and get it. After the smoke period, I put it in a tin with apple juice and bourbon to finish cooking.
Oak and cedar, interesting. I don't think there's such a thing as the wrong kind of smoking wood. Glad it came out good.
Damn tasty. 4.5 lb brisket for 4 people and we didn't have much left over. Really took serious willpower to not gorge myself.
No matter how much I start with, there are never any left overs.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
4.5 lb brisket for 4 people and we didn't have much left over. Really took serious willpower to not gorge myself.
Hahahaha! Pal, enjoy these days. I remember when I could eat over a pound of meat and feel like I did not "gorge myself". Those days will, sadly, pass.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'm planning to smoke a brisket either Sunday or Monday. Will use Swerd's recipe/technique. If it turns out poorly, I can just blame him...

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone else here into beef back ribs? I much prefer them to any pork rib and even beef short ribs. Hard to find at most BBQ restaurants.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Didn’t want to start a new a Thread so I posted up on this Not to old Thread. Just moved into a really nice two bedroom apartment. So got my Old Smokey out grilling chicken, and Sausage, and hotdogs for the week. Potato salad bushes baked beans.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The morning after… The briskets were great – thanks Dan.

Yesterday, about 3 pm, I brought the two briskets and one grilled chicken into the house, and headed for the shower. It was 92° and very humid yesterday, I'd been up since 6 am. Never did get any photos.
The amount of salt in the dry rub is key. You also have to cook the meat until the internal temperature is about 190°F or 88°C. Because I take out the internal meat thermometer when I wrap the meat in aluminum foil, I never know the final temperature for certain. But the books say brisket needs about 190°F to be tender, and I know it gets tender the way I cook it.

Good luck with your efforts. And please let us know your results. I know this recipe has worked for myself, Dan, and at least one other. I'd like to know if it works for you too.
Great work Swerd!

Late to the party, but a good brisket thread is never outdated.

I did my 1st one last yr, and obviously missed this thread...I have a Primo XL...kamado type cooker. I held 240-250 deg for the whole cook pretty much.

I found 3 online cooks that I liked using a Primo, an offset smoker, a weber kettle...A lot of the process went the same as yours. I paid a premium for a 14lb (point/flat) from my butcher, but after they trimmed it, still pretty close to 13 lbs so I lost a lb to fat trimming as well.

Rookie mistake...I pulled it once it hit 200 internal...wrapped it and put it in the cooler...far too long...should've been an hour, I left it for 2 hours. Put the point back out there with sauce for about 20-30 mins.

Very tasty, but the flat slices couldn't pass the bend test...they felt apart...long story short a little over done, but so tender. The brisket didn't last the night...so I think the guest loved it, but next time...at least for my cooker...pull it @ 195 and only leave it in the cooler an hour.

whole brisker.jpg
brisket pan.jpg

This concoction was in the pan underneath the entire cook! Plus to get that bark I was spritzing this on about every 15 mins the last hour or so.

point.jpg

The point with some hand cut steak fries.

I had fun with it...I'm being asked to do another one...maybe later this year when we clear all this madness.

Last edited:
CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Didn’t want to start a new a Thread so I posted up on this Not to old Thread. Just moved into a really nice two bedroom apartment. So got my Old Smokey out grilling chicken, and Sausage, and hotdogs for the week. Potato salad bushes baked beans.
I didn’t get the invite.lol

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Great work Swerd!

Late to the party, but a good brisket thread is never outdated.

I did my 1st one last yr, and obviously missed this thread...I have a Primo XL...kamado type cooker. I held 240-250 deg for the whole cook pretty much.
I take it you liked dry rub recipe.

I looked up the Primo XL, nice smoker. If it holds 240-250° the whole time, that's great! It makes you look like a BBQ expert. You should at least get sweaty and rub some charcoal dust on your face to make it look like you worked hard. Gotta maintain some sense of mystery.
Rookie mistake...I pulled it once it hit 200 internal...wrapped it and put it in the cooler...far too long...should've been an hour, I left it for 2 hours. Put the point back out there with sauce for about 20-30 mins.

Very tasty, but the flat slices couldn't pass the bend test...they felt apart...long story short a little over done, but so tender. The brisket didn't last the night...so I think the guest loved it, but next time...at least for my cooker...pull it @ 195 and only leave it in the cooler an hour.
I bet you were the only person who noticed, or cared ;). Don't sweat the tiny details. Brisket and this recipe gives you a lot of leeway – except for the amount of salt in the rub.

Thanks for the photos. When I smoke something, I've never managed to get clean enough to handle a camera.

Cranberry juice and bourbon in the water bowl. I never tried anything but water. Interesting

Experts agree, no coronavirus can survive if the air around you is saturated with the aroma of brisket smoking over a wood or charcoal fire. The problem is with those scientists who did that work. They ate the evidence.

2channel lover

I take it you liked dry rub recipe.

I looked up the Primo XL, nice smoker. If it holds 240-250° the whole time, that's great! It makes you look like a BBQ expert. You should at least get sweaty and rub some charcoal dust on your face to make it look like you worked hard. Gotta maintain some sense of mystery.
I bet you were the only person who noticed, or cared ;). Don't sweat the tiny details. Brisket and this recipe gives you a lot of leeway – except for the amount of salt in the rub.

Thanks for the photos. When I smoke something, I've never managed to get clean enough to handle a camera.

Cranberry juice and bourbon in the water bowl. I never tried anything but water. Interesting

Experts agree, no coronavirus can survive if the air around you is saturated with the aroma of brisket smoking over a wood or charcoal fire. The problem is with those scientists who did that work. They ate the evidence.
Dry rub...oh yes...imo you can't do a brisket right without it...I went overnight with mine also.

Primo XL...lol...in some ways it does to be honest :)...two yrs ago I smoked my 1st turkey ever for Thanksgiving...it went over better than the oven roasted bird. Last Thanksgiving I did another and one for a friend. Said friend has asked to bring another bird this yr already. It's the American made version of the Big Green Egg. The 3 top Kamado style cookers are pretty much the same...they insulate extremely well so they hold moisture in the food...where the Primo separates from the others is from the firebox up you can do true dual zone cooking.

240-250...yeah, they are good, but I cheated...;). Using good lump charcoal and deflector plates (in addition to deflecting the heat, they catch the food drippings so very few flare ups if any)...if you start the fire small (only light it in one area) once the pit temp gets to to 195-200 deg (lets say 230 is your goal), you shut down all the airflow andafter about 5 mins, the pit temp will stabilize around 205 or so..now you have control of the fire, tweak it from there, open the intake like a 1/4 inch, same with the flue and slowly bring it up. After so many fires you learn.

Cranberry/bourbon...a good friend told me that little trick...you also spritz the brisket with this at the end to help with the bark...adds a nice flavor that water alone can't give it.

I said I cheated...I bought a fan control unit with the probes, wifi etc...I wasn't quite brave enough to go play a round of golf during the brisket cook, but in terms of temp control...those things are game changers for lo and slo cooking.

The birds from Thanksgiving.
1586214763903.png

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This is a good thread!
Thought I’d share a picture that only you guys could appreciate...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dry rub...oh yes...imo you can't do a brisket right without it...I went overnight with mine also.

Primo XL...lol...in some ways it does to be honest :)...two yrs ago I smoked my 1st turkey ever for Thanksgiving...it went over better than the oven roasted bird. Last Thanksgiving I did another and one for a friend. Said friend has asked to bring another bird this yr already. It's the American made version of the Big Green Egg. The 3 top Kamado style cookers are pretty much the same...they insulate extremely well so they hold moisture in the food...where the Primo separates from the others is from the firebox up you can do true dual zone cooking.

240-250...yeah, they are good, but I cheated...;). Using good lump charcoal and deflector plates (in addition to deflecting the heat, they catch the food drippings so very few flare ups if any)...if you start the fire small (only light it in one area) once the pit temp gets to to 195-200 deg (lets say 230 is your goal), you shut down all the airflow andafter about 5 mins, the pit temp will stabilize around 205 or so..now you have control of the fire, tweak it from there, open the intake like a 1/4 inch, same with the flue and slowly bring it up. After so many fires you learn.

Cranberry/bourbon...a good friend told me that little trick...you also spritz the brisket with this at the end to help with the bark...adds a nice flavor that water alone can't give it.

I said I cheated...I bought a fan control unit with the probes, wifi etc...I wasn't quite brave enough to go play a round of golf during the brisket cook, but in terms of temp control...those things are game changers for lo and slo cooking.

The birds from Thanksgiving.
View attachment 35207
Damn those look good!

I'm hungry. I want some of Swerd's smoked brisket. It's probably my favorite cut. Cooked properly I love the unique texture.

2channel lover

Damn those look good!

I'm hungry. I want some of Swerd's smoked brisket. It's probably my favorite cut. Cooked properly I love the unique texture.
For low and slow beef...a good brisket is about as good as it gets, but my favorite cut of beef is the filet, then the ribeye.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For low and slow beef...a good brisket is about as good as it gets, but my favorite cut of beef is the filet, then the ribeye.
I prefer a ribeye over the filet myself. A little more flavor.

Did I ever tell you I was a butcher for 30 years?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I prefer a ribeye over the filet myself. A little more flavor.

Did I ever tell you I was a butcher for 30 years?
I remember that you were a butcher. My favorite cut is a NY strip, followed by a ribeye. Filet's are nice for a melt in your mouth piece, but I like the flavor of the others better.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I always like the ribeye, but wifey isn't a fan of fat on her meat...which can be irritating.

However, I've got a good way of cooking filet that works quite well.

That reminds me, I need to cook a steak.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis