SLS Home Theater Systems

soundjunkie

soundjunkie

Audioholic Intern
I just went into a new Home Theater store here in my town, and they introduced me to SLS Speakers, and their taunted "ribbon tweeters". They sounded very good for the short time I got to play with them, but more investigation is needed. Has anyone had experience with them or the company. I looked them up and it seems they're used in studios quite often, but they developed their technology to come into the home theater market.

Any feedback for the "holics" ;)

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Ribbon tweeters have been around a long time and are used on many speakers. They have a very pleasant, natural sound.

I have a pair of speakers with ribbon tweets upstairs in the 2 channel room. They're great for classical and acoustic music, although the sweet spot is rather small.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, Magnepan and Swans Audio both use ribbon tweeters. I know there are other companies, but these are both high-quality companies that have been around for awhile. Again, the same goes for their ribbon tweets.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Ribbons ... yee ha :D My favorite tweeter. Of course, if you can afford the price (and space) ribbons make nice midranges and woofers as well.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Ribbon tweeters seem to be the new trend in active studio monitors as well. Supposedly they can have a very smooth, natural sound, as opposed to the harshness of some dome designs. Not sure about accuracy, but I can't imagine they would be any less accurate. Ribbon microphones are beautiful for capturing female vocals in the studio, so why not use similar technology for playback? As always, it's a matter of personal preference so let your ears be your guide.

soundjunkie

soundjunkie

Audioholic Intern
Is anyone familiar with SLS Speakers? Again, they had a very balanced sound the little time I got to listen to them. Just wondering....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis