Choosing a New Processor After XMC-1 Woes

C

canelli

Audioholic
Looking for advice on picking out a new receiver/processor since my XMC-1 keeps getting hit with ECC errors every time there's a power blink. It's happened three times now, and I'm done with the hassle. I have a budget of around $4,500, but I can stretch it if needed (I see you AV 10). Quality and reliability matter more to me than sticking to a particular brand.

I'm interested in options from Anthem, Marantz, and Denon in that price range. My setup includes a Parasound amp powering a 5.2 speaker system, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a 5.3 setup since I have three subs. Extra channels don't matter much.

I've calibrated speakers with a mic and REW. A bonus would be if it has open IP for remote network control, as I've enjoyed tinkering with that stuff in the past.

I appreciate the help. I have felt overwhelmed trying to catch up of all the finer details.

Current Gear:
  • Processor – XMC-1 (dead)
  • Amplification - Parasound
  • Projector – JVC 4K
  • Screen – Stewart
  • Speakers – RBH
  • Subs – 2x RBH, 1x JL F112
  • Blueray – Panasonic

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AVP from Marantz - AV7706 and AV8805A are still available. AV10 is probably the best in terms of measurements and among the best overall with DLBC and 4-Independent Subs. But availability of AV10 could be an issue due to its popularity.

If AVR, Marantz Cinema30, Denon AVR-A1, X8500HA, and X6800. Also Yamaha RX-A8A and RX-A6A.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Somewhat curious why you included Denon in a list of prrocessors (altho a decent alternative I think). Also curious is if you plan beyond the 5.1 setup (as far as signal, acknowledge the multiple sub angle, more wondering about atmos type surrounds).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Looking for advice on picking out a new receiver/processor since my XMC-1 keeps getting hit with ECC errors every time there's a power blink. It's happened three times now, and I'm done with the hassle. I have a budget of around $4,500, but I can stretch it if needed (I see you AV 10). Quality and reliability matter more to me than sticking to a particular brand.

I'm interested in options from Anthem, Marantz, and Denon in that price range. My setup includes a Parasound amp powering a 5.2 speaker system, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a 5.3 setup since I have three subs. Extra channels don't matter much.

I've calibrated speakers with a mic and REW. A bonus would be if it has open IP for remote network control, as I've enjoyed tinkering with that stuff in the past.

I appreciate the help. I have felt overwhelmed trying to catch up of all the finer details.

Current Gear:
  • Projector – JVC 4K
  • Screen – Stewart
  • Speakers – RBH
  • Blueray – Panasonic
I would get the Marantz 7706. I have had the 7705 for four and a half years now, and it is superb. I also have a couple of Marantz 7701s in regular use.

I am concerned you are getting a lot of power blinks. They are very bad for all AVPs, receivers and any delicate electronics. If you are having those issues then you need UPS units to protect those units. All my units except power amps are protected by UPS units and a whole house surge protector at entry of the electric service. Even though I am now in a metro area, power glitches do occasionally happen and the UPS units cut in and out seamlessly. When I was living out on the shores of a lake in the Paul Bunyan Forest power glitches were much more common, but the UPS units did their jobs.

If you have a costly system with significant monetary investment the UPS units are essential basics in my view. I use APC units, three in the AV room and one in each of the other systems. It also protects the Internet infrastructure.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Current Gear:
  • Projector – JVC 4K
  • Screen – Stewart
  • Speakers – RBH
  • Blueray – Panasonic
This is used but unopened, making it an excellent value @ $5k

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I also have the 7705 and would say the 7706 would be a great choice. I also had a number of issues with my Emotiva Pre and went back to Marantz. Zero issues since.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Current Gear:
  • Projector – JVC 4K
  • Screen – Stewart
  • Speakers – RBH
  • Blueray – Panasonic
It may be worth looking at the Monolith HTP-1. A lot of owners of that were previous Emo owners who had nothing but complaints and heartache.
*shrugs
That thread over on AVS is too long to read, with a lot of material not germane to the actual device but conversation about BEQ or Harmony remotes...
Many of the users are truly happy with it and swear it to be the absolute best thing they've ever bought.

FWIW, I have been strongly considering one... and also considering the AV-10. But there is a big price swing between the two. ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It may be worth looking at the Monolith HTP-1. A lot of owners of that were previous Emo owners who had nothing but complaints and heartache.
*shrugs
That thread over on AVS is too long to read, with a lot of material not germane to the actual device but conversation about BEQ or Harmony remotes...
Many of the users are truly happy with it and swear it to be the absolute best thing they've ever bought.

FWIW, I have been strongly considering one... and also considering the AV-10. But there is a big price swing between the two. ;)
For him, I think the AV7706 is his best bet. I bet there would be no audible benefit for him if he bought the AV 10 over the 7706.

C

canelli

Audioholic
lovinthehd,
I remembered from long ago that Denon had a receiver (I think it was a receiver?) that got high marks in reviews. The reviewers talked about using it only as a processor. I don't want to miss a good option by not knowing what to consider. Also, I have a Denon in the family room and it works well and is bulletproof.

I do have a dedicated media room which is 16 feet deep. When I've asked manufacturers and installers about adding rear speakers, there was a concern the audio might become congested due to the size of the room. Having said that, I envision atmos speakers being smaller and easier to place in a room thay size? Having the option to add them later would be bonus.

I will take a look at the
Monolith.

Adding a ups would be the smart thing to do. Finding an affordable rack mounted unit has been the challenge in the past.

Sounds like the av7706 might be a good fit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lovinthehd,
I remembered from long ago that Denon had a receiver (I think it was a receiver?) that got high marks in reviews. The reviewers talked about using it only as a processor. I don't want to miss a good option by not knowing what to consider. Also, I have a Denon in the family room and it works well and is bulletproof.

I do have a dedicated media room which is 16 feet deep. When I've asked manufacturers and installers about adding rear speakers, there was a concern the audio might become congested due to the size of the room. Having said that, I envision atmos speakers being smaller and easier to place in a room thay size? Having the option to add them later would be bonus.

I will take a look at the
Monolith.

Adding a ups would be the smart thing to do. Finding an affordable rack mounted unit has been the challenge in the past.

Sounds like the av7706 might be a good fit.
The Denon avrs do well in testing, as good as the Marantz pre-pros several times. I like my Denons and would probably keep going with their avrs (particularly the Xx800 series for the multiple sub/Dirac features) to have on board amp options as well as external amp. As far as your room dims go, where are the seats in relation to rear wall? I do like a few feet space to rear surrounds, but a 5.x.4 system would be nice too (but I don't want to mess with my ceilings particularly).

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Yes, the 7706 is a great processor, you could also look at the AV10, but it is quite a bit more money.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis