Slight static/crackle

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You got static electricity this time of year up there in the far north (IIRC?).....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not rediculous. Like 70-80db on Spl meter
So far you said it happened with multiple sources, different speakers, even the phone speaker, two different AVRs, volume up or down, pause or playback.....

So it seems the only constant is you lol, and until you can give us a more consistent condition, we can only guess randomly..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you try playing a CD, or from a USB thumb drive? If the crackle only happened when streaming, it could be you internet or/and network connections.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Got me. Could be something in these particular songs he hears? Why just these two? Or is it more?
Am I able to post a sound recording on the forum somehow and you guys can tell me if I need to go to a spy
Have you try playing a CD, or from a USB thumb drive? If the crackle only happened when streaming, it could be you internet or/and network connections.
I have objective evidence from my wife. She can hear it as well. I'm going to ignore those two songs and see what happens
So far you said it happened with multiple sources, different speakers, even the phone speaker, two different AVRs, volume up or down, pause or playback.....

So it seems the only constant is you lol, and until you can give us a more consistent condition, we can only guess randomly..
Agreed, it sounds crazy. I now have objective evidence because my wife can hear it. I was able to reproduce it with another song and she picked it up as well.

It could be an internet thing I suppose. I will try other sources and see what happens. However, it makes zero sense to me if it was the internet connection that it would happen at the same point in the same song.

Soft reset fixed the volume thing, so I think that was a separate issue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about the static electricity in the house thing?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Am I able to post a sound recording on the forum somehow and you guys can tell me if I need to go to a spy

I have objective evidence from my wife. She can hear it as well. I'm going to ignore those two songs and see what happens

Agreed, it sounds crazy. I now have objective evidence because my wife can hear it. I was able to reproduce it with another song and she picked it up as well.

It could be an internet thing I suppose. I will try other sources and see what happens. However, it makes zero sense to me if it was the internet connection that it would happen at the same point in the same song.

Soft reset fixed the volume thing, so I think that was a separate issue.
If it in fact always happens at the same point in the same song regardless of anything else, then it would have to be the recording.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
If it in fact always happens at the same point in the same song regardless of anything else, then it would have to be the recording.
I know what you are saying and I agree with you. However I don't think it is the recording since other people don't seem to hear it on their gear. I am confused and possibly just hearing things, but as I said before, I do hear it on other recordings. It is very faint. These were just the most pronounced and reproducible tracks.

I'm getting frustrated because I listen to it on the 3600h and hear it clearly, then I switch to another source and get the same result. So logically would think it's the recording...

I will experiment more tomorrow. Could I have damaged ALL my speakers and they are distorting at the same frequencies?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know what you are saying and I agree with you. However I don't think it is the recording since other people don't seem to hear it on their gear. I am confused and possibly just hearing things, but as I said before, I do hear it on other recordings. It is very faint. These were just the most pronounced and reproducible tracks.

I'm getting frustrated because I listen to it on the 3600h and hear it clearly, then I switch to another source and get the same result. So logically would think it's the recording...

I will experiment more tomorrow. Could I have damaged ALL my speakers and they are distorting at the same frequencies?
I believe some people are more sensitive to such "clipping" related "crackle, pop or whatever expression you may use to describe it. I don't use online streaming but I have reported on this forum about a similar issue with Adele's recordings, yet I appeared to be the only who noticed the anomaly. It took so long for me to say with confidence that it was the recording, because you reported so much varying conditions until your last couple post. It is simple logic, if you only hear it in a particular album, or track, or a few tracks, then it has to be related to the recording. Simply put (again, just logic), if it is the speakers or the AVR, or anything else, you will hear the same with any songs, right?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've put some serious time into listening to the new cd and haven't noticed any clipping. Tho to be honest I haven't been listening for it, but I think I would have noticed...

@William Lemmerhirt, @panteragstk and @j_garcia all have copies too I think.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@JRED 1219, are you hearing this on ripped CDs? There's a section during my Foobar rip of "Lateralus" that crackles in the same spot every time, and it does not do it from the CD or from a different rip I did using EAC instead if Foobar2000.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hard to say for sure. But I have heard that type of sound and I usually attribute it to compression although it could be clipping or a combination. Invincible is one of my favorites on there, and there’s a spot in the middle where Danny is doing some triplets between his floor Tom and kicks. I sometimes think I hear that sound but I think it’s just how that section is mixed between Justin’s bass and Danny’s kicks. The first chevelle album has some of that sound. It’s in the treble range mostly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been doing some digging and came across this video, but I still don't hear the clipping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis