Slight static/crackle

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
I am having an issue. Just got new 4ohm monolith 365 THX speakers and Denon avrx-3600h, so all new equipment. I am hearing a slight static sound on some tracks similar to the sound of a blown tweeter but much less dramatic. For instance: very beginning of 'Acid Rain' by Lorn and around 7:10 into 'Invincible' by Tool.

I thought I would try listening through my headphones, and I still get the issue playing 'Acid Rain' but not at all with the Tool song.

I hooked up my old speakers (8 ohm klipsch towers) to the new AVR and I have the same issue but less significant - still very much audible.

I have not tried switching out to my old AVR yet (Onkyo txnr 515). But I feel like I remember this happening very very infrequently and to a lower extent in the past only at very high volumes. I just thought it was a limitation of my low end gear at the time.

I doubt this is a ground loop issue. Could it be a wall outlet issue? I know very little about electrical stuff, but my head points to the fact that there is presumably much more current being drawn with the new gear. I haven't tried a different outlet yet because that would be a lot of work

Last edited:
J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Oh, forgot to mention that I thought it might be a connection issue and still could be but I tested it out with a new cut if 12 guage speaker wire and the issue is still present. I have not tried disconnecting the banana plugs and just attaching bare wire yet.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Just an update as I have been playing around using test tones. I have been getting a static sound when turning the volume up or down (sound occurs at each increment) and also when I pause and start playback. Changing songs in Spotify causes a slight pop/crackle. This isn't happening all the time though.

This is getting really frustrating...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might try something simple like a soft reset (unplug the avr for a while), maybe even a full microprocessor reset....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just an update as I have been playing around using test tones. I have been getting a static sound when turning the volume up or down (sound occurs at each increment) and also when I pause and start playback. Changing songs in Spotify causes a slight pop/crackle. This isn't happening all the time though.

This is getting really frustrating...
If it happens with all source media and speakers then it could be due to one of the following:

- Bad connections, could be banana plug(s), terminal connections etc.
- Defective AVR (what do you mean by "sound occurs at each increment, did you mean it "pop" only as you increment the volume and no "pop" when the volume is fixed?

First to check are the speaker wires as they are the usual suspects, especially if terminated with cheap solderless banana plugs.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I’ve had issues before with crackling sounds because of loose banana plug wiring.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
If it happens with all source media and speakers then it could be due to one of the following:

- Bad connections, could be banana plug(s), terminal connections etc.
- Defective AVR (what do you mean by "sound occurs at each increment, did you mean it "pop" only as you increment the volume and no "pop" when the volume is fixed?

First to check are the speaker wires as they are the usual suspects, especially if terminated with cheap solderless banana plugs.
Just hauled everything out, terminated with the bare wire, tested multiple sources and different speakers. Same issue.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
So I also just hooked up my old receiver and tried combinations of the new and old speakers, different speaker wire, different inputs, and I'm having the same issue. I'm playing from Spotify but downloaded to me phone and transmitting both by Bluetooth and headphone jack, same issue. When I listen from my headphones directly from the phone, no issue.

Have I somehow slightly blown all or my speakers equally?

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Can someone kindly listen on their system to the two parts of the songs I mentioned above just so I can rule out the source recording itself?

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Another thing I will mention is I have the same issue when I play these songs through my phone using the phone's speaker ..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Listened to both on Spotify just now....nothing in the way of static/crackles. Did you try the soft reset?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Listened to both on Spotify just now....nothing in the way of static/crackles. Did you try the soft reset?
But he's having the same issue even when playing with the phone and through the phone's speaker.

Logically it would be originated from the source then, but why would it be okay with his headphone? I can't resolve the logic!!

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
But he's having the same issue even when playing with the phone and through the phone's speaker.

Logically it would be originated from the source then, but why would it be okay with his headphone? I can't resolve the logic!!
Agreed. After I typed that, I could make it happen on my headphones once.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
It's happening in the first few seconds of Acid Rain like clockwork on my old AVR and speakers also....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Got me. Could be something in these particular songs he hears? Why just these two? Or is it more?

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Got me. Could be something in these particular songs he hears? Why just these two? Or is it more?
I pick it up occasionally on other songs. Just slight crackles. These were two songs I was able to isolate

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis