Sin city is absolutely amazing.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
I never saw sin city in the theaters but I picked it up when it came to DVD and I was blown away. I thought the picture quality was absolutely perfect and as far as I could tell was top notch quality. The audio (5.1 DTS) was far superior to 99% of movies out there and I was really happy that they did not crap out on the audio like so many other movies do. The highs were crisp and the bass hit hard and clear there were no dull sound laps like you find in so many other movies, star wars is horrible for this. After all this there was still a movie to watch and I have not had a feeling like this about a movie in a long time. It is the same kind of feeling that I received after watching pulp fiction or snatch for the first time. So I say if you have not seen sin city go out and do so.

Paulvader

Paulvader

Junior Audioholic
Privateer said:
I never saw sin city in the theaters but I picked it up when it came to DVD and I was blown away. I thought the picture quality was absolutely perfect and as far as I could tell was top notch quality. The audio (5.1 DTS) was far superior to 99% of movies out there and I was really happy that they did not crap out on the audio like so many other movies do. The highs were crisp and the bass hit hard and clear there were no dull sound laps like you find in so many other movies, star wars is horrible for this. After all this there was still a movie to watch and I have not had a feeling like this about a movie in a long time. It is the same kind of feeling that I received after watching pulp fiction or snatch for the first time. So I say if you have not seen sin city go out and do so.
My feelings as well...just saw it this weekend and was amazed :D

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
I don't know that I'd recommend this movie to everyone, but I'm glad to hear that the DVD is of good quality. Since this movie is almost entirely black and white, it's all about the contrast.

If you like stylized over-the-top action, with some foul language and skin thrown in for good effect then I guess I'd recommend this movie. It sure worked for me, but Sin City isn't for everyone.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello All
Just completed a review and used this DVD for evaluation. This is reference material and regardless of what you thought of the movie should be included in the videophiles collection. ;)

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Just completed a review and used this DVD for evaluation. This is reference material and regardless of what you thought of the movie should be included in the videophiles collection.
I agree, it blows my mind how bad or good a DVD can be and now days it is almost hit or miss.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
RLA said:
Just completed a review and used this DVD for evaluation. This is reference material and regardless of what you thought of the movie should be included in the videophiles collection. ;)
I could agree except for one thing. I did not enjoy this movie. :eek: (yes, yes...the first step is admitting you have a problem)

The camera work/CGI was beautiful, and the audio was great. I liked how they tried to give the feel of it being an onscreen comic book. That part was very original. But for my tastes, the story didn't flow well, the acting felt wooden, and it seemed to be relying to heavily on its gimmicks and gore.

I just don't think I could bring myself to watch it again even as pure reference material.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
I liked how they tried to give the feel of it being an onscreen comic book.
That was the idea, have you ever read any of the sin city comics?

I just don't think I could bring myself to watch it again even as pure reference material.
Why not, what would you say is a good movie then?

aspaceintime

aspaceintime

Audioholic
I watched it 3 times this weekend with my sons. I enjoyed it a great deal, and it was special to me becuase I had to take my oldest off to college the next day. If you have kids, it's amazing how quiet it is when they go away. It's a life changing experience for all involved... :)

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
gellor said:
I could agree except for one thing. I did not enjoy this movie. :eek: (yes, yes...the first step is admitting you have a problem)

The camera work/CGI was beautiful, and the audio was great. I liked how they tried to give the feel of it being an onscreen comic book. That part was very original. But for my tastes, the story didn't flow well, the acting felt wooden, and it seemed to be relying to heavily on its gimmicks and gore.

I have to agree for the most part with you. I saw the movie in the theater, which is a rare thing since I have a 120" screen. (great cast, beautiful women) For the most part I did not find the movie that enjoyable. I felt it was highly over-rated. However, this may be one of those movies that hit or miss with some people. I had seen this with one of my family members, and 'mom' felt the same way about it as I did. Anyhow, the dvd may be of reference material. But it is one that my collection can do without. (and I'm up to almost 1600 dvd's). Usually I like comic book movies to.

I have heard from a friend that Fantastic 4 was not that great. But with J. Alba, I'll still have to watch it anyways...

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Privateer said:
That was the idea, have you ever read any of the sin city comics?
I haven't read any of the sin city comics, and I'm willing to admit part of my distaste was from a lack of understanding of what the movie was.

Again, I thought the movie was interestingly done, but the story and excessive gore just didn't appeal to me.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
gellor said:
I haven't read any of the sin city comics, and I'm willing to admit part of my distaste was from a lack of understanding of what the movie was.

Again, I thought the movie was interestingly done, but the story and excessive gore just didn't appeal to me.
Then I guess you don't like Robert Rodriguez flicks then. Always over the top sex and violence, just the way I like it. But his movies are not for everyone, except for the Spy Kids movies. I enjoyed this movie but in the end gave it a 4 star NetFlix rating which for me is I'd like to see it again but wouldn't buy it. I'm not familiar with the comic book and was a little lost through the first two thirds of the movie but as I expected the last part of the movie brought it all together. I'd recommend watching the making of feature afterwards to get a better feel of what was going on behind the scenes with the writer and actors. Quite a cast he put together for this movie. And the AV quality was very good.

I like Dusk Til Dawn and Desperado better than this one. I know a lot of people hate DTD but I guess they just don't get it. ;) IMO that movie made a star out of George Clooney, I had no idea he could play such a bad a$$. :eek:

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
but the story and excessive gore just didn't appeal to me.
Story? It is a movie just like heavy metal were they take the best mini stories and make it into a film they were not supose to run as 1. If you had trouble understanding this movie I would hate to see what you thought of pulp fiction. As for the gore I would not call it gore, what do you expect when some one is shot?

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Privateer said:
As for the gore I would not call it gore, what do you expect when some one is shot?
Well, you can do like 90% of the movies out there and not show any blood. This is how you get a PG-13 rating. When you have guts and blood flying all over the place then that's excessive (albeit more accurate), and you get an R rating.

PG-13 rating = non-realistic, family friendly dying

R rating = blood on the ground, walls, bystanders, etc . . . = gore

gore n. Blood, especially coagulated blood from a wound.

I guess the dictionary would call it gore :D .

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I think Sin City is one of the best movies I've seen in years, and probably cracks my "Top 20 All Time Favorites." Yes, it's that good, and an instant classic IMOHO.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
A talking pez dispenser, a prostitute assassin, and a yellow pedophile...hmmmm....

It was unique, and thought it captured the comic as intended but it's not a movie I'd rave about.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I little overated in my book but still a good flick. Absolutlely beautiful to look at. The sound is truly exceptional as well.

Im curious to see how Sin City 2 turns out.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Duffinator said:
Then I guess you don't like Robert Rodriguez flicks then.

Actually, I liked Desperado and Once Upon A Time in Mexicon a lot. Haven't seen El Mariachi yet, so I can't comment on that. I also enjoyed Four Rooms and DTD, although I probably wouldn't watch them repeatedly.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Privateer said:
Story? It is a movie just like heavy metal were they take the best mini stories and make it into a film they were not supose to run as 1. If you had trouble understanding this movie I would hate to see what you thought of pulp fiction.

Did I once mention that I found the story difficult to follow? No. I said it didn't flow well IMO. Mainly I didn't like the pacing of events, the transition between scenes, and over-exlpanation of other scenes. As for Pullp Fiction, its one of my favorite movies, actually.

Privateer said:
As for the gore I would not call it gore, what do you expect when some one is shot?
Gore:
# vice president of the United States under Bill Clinton (born in 1948)
# coagulated blood from a wound
# wound by piercing with a sharp or penetrating object or instrument
# bloodshed: the shedding of blood resulting in murder; "he avenged the blood of his kinsmen"

Not sure what the first definition has to do with anything, but.......

Someone being shot doesn't bother me. However the way that it is depicted in this movie lessened its enjoyability for me.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
gellor said:
Gore:
# vice president of the United States under Bill Clinton (born in 1948)
It doesn't get any messier than that. ;)

aspaceintime

aspaceintime

Audioholic
sometimes, messy is good...depends on the mood! I liked the black & white and a dash of color to enhance the impact. Is Marv the best or what?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis