Simplicity and decoupling (ii)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Hello all

Ages ago that time when I was young(er), I made a thread here on my system with the title of Simplicity and decoupling, this is coming from the principles that I want to try to make things as simple as possible... I am still trying to do these things simple but not sure how simple anymore....

I did a lot these last two years and changed, bought sold, what I got now is following stuff

Stuff
- Audio Insight IsoVolt 3k, power filter, I know what you guys say but in Norway this makes a difference!

Sources:
- Auralic Aries G1 streamer (digital only)
- Studer A727 PRO CD player (using digital only)
- Audio Technica AT-LP140XP, just got an Ortofon 2M black to go with this one

Pre-amps and amps
- Trinnov Amethyst, digital preamp
- Krell KAV 400xi, now pending, replaced by the Adyton
- Adyton Cordis Signature 1.8S, real powerhouse, extremely dynamics, on testing now

Speakers
- Duntech PCL-15 (broken, to get upgraded drivers)
- Audio Physic Avanti III, pretty old but one of the claimed masterpieces by Audio Physic founder Joachim Gerhard
- 4 subwoofers, stacked, Audio Physic Rhea II, yes there's only 10" drivers, so I will need more cone area

Current setup

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I did run a new optimizing session with Trinnov today and here are some results
Obviously still lots of work to do here, way too much reflections, but getting there :)

Response curve, speakers only
Yes I run speakers full range, overlapping with subs, works really well with Trinnov, crossing on 70 Hz.

Response curve, speakers and subs (ex crossover)

Step response

Phase

Group delay

Target curve

Excursion curve
Limiting where and how much corrections are allowed

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Very cool setup, and great looking graphs! You might only have 10" subs but the drivers look like they can handle some power, and I'll bet with 4 of them you're not lacking much for music listening. Your graphs bear that out. Looks like you're getting down to 20 hz without any issues.

I really would like to get my hands on one of those Trinnov setups and play with it for a day or 2.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Very cool setup, and great looking graphs! You might only have 10" subs but the drivers look like they can handle some power, and I'll bet with 4 of them you're not lacking much for music listening. Your graphs bear that out. Looks like you're getting down to 20 hz without any issues.

I really would like to get my hands on one of those Trinnov setups and play with it for a day or 2.
Here ya' go!
Don't forget to post up when you get it! :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here ya' go!
"From" $17k...

:oops:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Awesome setup, thanks for making a thread!

Here ya' go!
I love that these are "just" a very specially made HTPC with excellent audio capabilities. I'm curious as to what OS is under the hood.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for sharing. Very nice clean room and setup. I like it. You say you have much work to do but those graphs look pretty darn good already. A couple of brands that I have not heard of before; will have to reseach those.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Very nice room really interesting stacking subs like that any trouble dialing them in at all ?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice room really interesting stacking subs like that any trouble dialing them in at all ?
stacking subs made a big difference, not really a problem… I have to run them close because the Trinnov Amethyst only have 4 channels so both subs on each side must be dialed in equally….

i am shocked by the bass precision and bass dynamics… playing Infected Mushroom is insane, female voices, good grief… it’s not so big or powerful subwoofers, but Trinnov completely manages time and phase… so it all matches.

Trinnov may seem crazy expensive and well it is!
The Ametyst cost me $14k, but it’s worth it

thinking what we get…
- High end ADC converter
- Top notch riaa
- 4 channels of state of the art dac
- State of the art DSP with Phase and time correction
- The coolest preamp I ever seen, all that stuff in one single box that always work
- Extremely slick operation

Trinnov joined with Ravenna, which means they will employ Ravenna functions within their product line, as means of a software upgrade. Ravenna is very much used in the pro world, now coming to consumer audio too….. Ravenna is way cool !

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Thx a lot everyone for so many nice comments, I spent blood sweet and tears here guys :p

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
With the Amethyst being Roon ready are you going that route? If so then why the Auralic as well?

Beautiful setup by the way. I recently set up a small two channel setup in my office. I went with the Denon 1600 integrated with a rasp pie endpoint.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

Thx a lot :)
That would be scary.... if you play one day or two you would want one... I think this is a very addictive box :D

Awesome setup, thanks for making a thread!
I love that these are "just" a very specially made HTPC with excellent audio capabilities. I'm curious as to what OS is under the hood.
IMHO... I think they are much more than a special HTPC ....
I think there is a Linux variant but all software is developed inhouse as far as I understand

Thanks for sharing. Very nice clean room and setup. I like it. You say you have much work to do but those graphs look pretty darn good already. A couple of brands that I have not heard of before; will have to reseach those.
There is some delayed energy in there, I can hear.... also visible on the impulse response to some certain degree
I am planning to do more on absorbers and treatments but without any negative visual influence
- suspended absorber panels in ceiling
- Treatments of first refelction points
- Thick absorber felt mats under rug
- Movable very thick bass traps behind seating position

I think all this DSP stuff does not negate the need to do room treatment, it can´t kill standing waves, improve RT60 or kill first reflections IMHO.

With the Amethyst being Roon ready are you going that route? If so then why the Auralic as well?

Beautiful setup by the way. I recently set up a small two channel setup in my office. I went with the Denon 1600 integrated with a rasp pie endpoint.
Streaming is something, I had the Auralic before the Trinnov and it works really well to me.... maybe I look at roon and/or other things later, but it´s further down the road.
I didn´t get addicted to Roon yet so better stay away from it so I don´t catch the bug.... LOL :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow this 4ch Trinnov pre-amp is pretty pricey! Then again so is their unit with more channels. What is the "decoupling" going on particularly?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I think it would be maybe possible to even or better the Trinnov with a strict computer based setup with Juicehifi Audiolense or Audiovero Acourate, I thought long and very hard about this, but it comes with some additional complexity that I did not want to have in my living room, if there was a dedicated room, maybe.... I think I may possibly try out Acourate down the line with some full active speaker setup.... I heard from a very respected German speaker designer that Acourate may be the best sounding DSP solution out there today. (with regards to crossover topology for active speakers)

These two computer based solutions are really interesting, makes it possible to create fully active systems with steep filters and perfect time/domain behaviour.... from what I hear performance is simply unreal, but it´s pretty complex ...

I thought long and hard about Minidsp SHD Studio, Lyngdorf, Anthem and Computer based setup, and others but ended up with Trinnov... I am not sure I see Trinnov being overpriced.
If you have 3 system developers working full time for 20 years developing software, I assume the cost would be more than 9 million USD... (for developers only)

On Trinnov suppot, unreal: I never experienced more than 10 minutes response time on questions, they are unreal and extremely competent.

Some more info on the decoupling coming later....

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis