Should You Use Cables as Tone Controls?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
In this video, I answer a subscriber question about IF you should use cables as tone controls. I briefly discuss the minuscule measurable differences cables make versus other methods that have a far greater impact on improving sound quality in your stereo of home theater system. We discuss the following methods that are guaranteed to serve as much more effective tone controls such as:
1. Improving room acoustics
2. Improving speaker positioning and set up.
3. Using Digital EQ (ie. PEQ or room correction)
4. Applying positional EQ (moving your seats)

Read about Cable Synergy: https://bit.ly/cablesynergy

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
In this video, I answer a subscriber question about IF you should use cables as tone controls. I briefly discuss the minuscule measurable differences cables make versus other methods that have a far greater impact on improving sound quality in your stereo of home theater system. We discuss the following methods that are guaranteed to serve as much more effective tone controls such as:
1. Improving room acoustics
2. Improving speaker positioning and set up.
3. Using Digital EQ (ie. PEQ or room correction)
4. Applying positional EQ (moving your seats)

Read about Cable Synergy: https://bit.ly/cablesynergy

@gene I'm gonna be watching this video later today when I've had more coffee. I got to!!, looks like you have a electrical extension cord in your right hand? :oops: I had a friend who did just that, he needed speaker cable/wire for his rear surrounds and didn't have enough speaker wire on hand at the time. So he used a 100ft electrical extension cord 14 awg he had at the time. Sounded great to me! I would pay to be present if one of those snake oil salesmen would take you up on a challenge of their 2k each, speaker cable. To watch you walk in with a couple of hundred foot 12 awg electrical extension cords to wire up the system. That would priceless in my book and well worth the airfare and price of admission to be in the audience.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
@gene I'm gonna be watching this video later today when I've had more coffee. I got to!!, looks like you have a electrical extension cord in your right hand? :oops: I had a friend who did just that, he needed speaker cable/wire for his rear surrounds and didn't have enough speaker wire on hand at the time. So he used a 100ft electrical extension cord 14 awg he had at the time. Sounded great to me! I would pay to be present if one of those snake oil salesmen would take you up on a challenge of their 2k each, speaker cable. To watch you walk in with a couple of hundred foot 12 awg electrical extension cords to wire up the system. That would priceless in my book and well worth the airfare and price of admission to be in the audience.
Interestingly, talking extension cords, back in time an audio club in Michigan I believe used an extension cord for video back then, it worked with a 100ft roll. For real.
It might even work today if it has composite video connection.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I click on the link to read the article, it first asks me if I want to leave youtube? Strange routing....

My favorite part is where BS Audio says fraudioquest does high level testing and that they've done some matching up of particular fraudioquest products to their own.....LOL, you can't make crap like that up....oh wait, they did.

highfigh

highfigh

When I click on the link to read the article, it first asks me if I want to leave youtube? Strange routing....

My favorite part is where BS Audio says fraudioquest does high level testing and that they've done some matching up of particular fraudioquest products to their own.....LOL, you can't make crap like that up....oh wait, they did.
I wonder how much booze is used to get people to 'hear' what they claim and how they refer to each level of drunkenness.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Interestingly, talking extension cords, back in time an audio club in Michigan I believe used an extension cord for video back then, it worked with a 100ft roll. For real.
It might even work today if it has composite video connection.
Electrical extension cords make great speaker cables. Especially the industrial type for construction sites if one would choose to do so. There better insulated, depends on the load, 120v, 220v 20amp 30amp 50 amp pull. Of course the longer the run of the cable say 25ft you'd need about a 14 awg, 100ft run use 10awg or 8 awg. Heavier the load the hotter the cable can get if it's undersized. Underestimate use 14 awg for a 100 ft run extension cord will get hot, I've witness one burn up just like a fuse on a firecracker.

Last edited:
O

OHMisback

Audioholic
So does great speaker cable. :) I use really good teflon with OCC/silver ribbon for about 7-12.00 per foot the same for 24/c weaves.
Why even use or waste your time testing extension cable? I might use it on a job site for a speaker in a hole or something. Tunnel work.
Why would you have that ugly orange cable in your home. Christmas maybe? Electric chainsaw a neighbor in the front room or
something. I'd still use a pretty cable as he/she was turned into fish chum. Just proper after all. Weaves are hard to clean up though. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So does great speaker cable. :) I use really good teflon with OCC/silver ribbon for about 7-12.00 per foot the same for 24/c weaves.
Why even use or waste your time testing extension cable? I might use it on a job site for a speaker in a hole or something. Tunnel work.
Why would you have that ugly orange cable in your home. Christmas maybe? Electric chainsaw a neighbor in the front room or
something. I'd still use a pretty cable as he/she was turned into fish chum. Just proper after all. Weaves are hard to clean up though. :)
Sometimes you use what you've got. Let alone silly silver stuff. Let alone worry about how it looks, unless you're just a fancy boy (Seinfeld ref). What gauge are your speaker cables that cost such ridiculous amounts per foot and what do they do better than copper particularly?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Don't stop at tone controls ;)

Use it on unruly kids :D an emergency tow cable, :eek: and a 100ft-er will reach out pretty far as a lifeline. :D:D:D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Don't stop at tone controls ;)

Use it on unruly kids :D an emergency tow cable, :eek: and a 100ft-er will reach out pretty far as a lifeline. :D:D:D
Now this! Is good fun!!! Lol.. my old friend still may be using his Yellow electrical cables for his surround speakers, let me give him a call..

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Sometimes you use what you've got. Let alone silly silver stuff. Let alone worry about how it looks, unless you're just a fancy boy (Seinfeld ref). What gauge are your speaker cables that cost such ridiculous amounts per foot and what do they do better than copper particularly?
Lolo, "Seinfeld ref" Lolo.. okay yea..lol

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So we just added an article to supplement the video.

The debate over audio cables has been raging on for decades. But if you believe that different cables lend slightly different sounds to your system, it might stand to reason that you could use cables as a sort of tone control, to tweak the sound of your system to suit your tastes. Is this a good idea? Gene says no!

Read on to find out why.

CreoleDC

CreoleDC

Junior Audioholic
So we just added an article to supplement the video.

The debate over audio cables has been raging on for decades. But if you believe that different cables lend slightly different sounds to your system, it might stand to reason that you could use cables as a sort of tone control, to tweak the sound of your system to suit your tastes. Is this a good idea? Gene says no!

Read on to find out why.
I sure would like to see this get a lot more attention with the media, national that is. With hope's of these kinds of audio fraud getting exposed. No matter how little it may seem fraud is fraud. They sure convict and shut down gas stations for price gouging consumers for over charging for gasoline. Isn't speaker cables the same as any other fraud. I call snake oil cable's, "black market" industry of the home audio consumer electronics. Guess as long as this is thrown in makes it okay "synergy" sure is twisted when you think about it.
IMG_20220818_101156422_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I was thinking of using AQ cables (the ones with batteries) as jumper cables- why not, they're self-contained jumper packs, right?

I saw "ZERO-Tech: Unprecedented RF Noise-Dissipation" at the top of the description for one of their cables- At least they were being honest.......

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I like tone controls as tone controls and cables as cables. Cables as tone controls? No.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Now, can you use cables to reduce "noise"... definitely.

CreoleDC

CreoleDC

Junior Audioholic
Now, can you use cables to reduce "noise"... definitely.
I have to ask, how can a speaker cable reduce noise? I use 12AWG oxygen free, shielded Mediabridge 15-ft, oh with bananas on the end didn't pay that much about 80 bucks for 3 of those. Before I use the clear coated regular 12AWG oxygen free I just cut off about 1/2 to expose the copper wire, used the nuts tighten down Walla. No difference in sound quality whatsoever between the two cables I just wanted the convenience of the Mediabridge cables with the bananas. Nicer cables those Mediabridge construction wise. But you like your cable's I'm not going to hate on you because of how much you paid for those cables. Your money your hobby. I just don't believe between your speaker cables and mine it would make any difference in sound quality. I just don't see that happening.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I have to ask, how can a speaker cable reduce noise? I use 12AWG oxygen free, shielded Mediabridge 15-ft, oh with bananas on the end didn't pay that much about 80 bucks for 3 of those. Before I use the clear coated regular 12AWG oxygen free I just cut off about 1/2 to expose the copper wire, used the nuts tighten down Walla. No difference in sound quality whatsoever between the two cables I just wanted the convenience of the Mediabridge cables with the bananas. Nicer cables those Mediabridge construction wise. But you like your cable's I'm not going to hate on you because of how much you paid for those cables. Your money your hobby. I just don't believe between your speaker cables and mine it would make any difference in sound quality. I just don't see that happening.
That is a great question and I appreciate your response. Wires can act like antennas and pick up noise, with the proper wires you can filter the noise. Don't filter enough and it will not be good. Filter too much and it can constrict the sound. This is why you get so many opinions because the grid in an apt in the city is different from the grid in a cabin in the mountains, etc. If you watch this video you can measure the difference:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis