Should Scotland gain independance?

Should Scotland become independant?

• Total voters

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
All,

Recent polls indicate that almost as many English (48% at the time of writing) would like to see Scotland independant as Scots would themselves (52% at the time of writing). :eek:

The political party Labour has been aggressively attacking the Scottish National Party (SNP) because it's come to light that the latter are, at the time of writing, 8 points ahead in the latest polls. It goes without saying that if the SNP gain a majority at the next elections in May '07 they'll push for a vote on independance and this is what the other party's fear.

So, what do you think and why? :)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
It should gain independence, your country has the sovereign right to determine it's course and history without exterior influence...England has her own problems to deal with, Scotland has hers. And besides in a "united" Europe how independent are you really? More than anything it's for national pride, which I'm 100% for. Same for Ireland.

Buckle-meister

stratman said:
As a Scot, what's your opinion?
My opinion's swung both ways over time but at present, and I don't see it changing again, I'm very much pro-independance.

I've nothing against the English; I worked in England for a number of years before returning to Scotland (and may return again but that's another story).

I would like to try. To determine once and for all whether we could indeed 'make it on our own'. I'd say 'succeed or fail', but by trying, I don't believe one ever truly fails. It's the person who never takes a chance of 'failure' that is forever the real loser. Besides, if nothing else, if it all went horribly wrong, at least we'd have only ourselves to blame instead of whining about The English this or that. :mad:

There'll always be some who say that we couldn't make it on our own and others who say that we could. My own judgment is that we could. I believe we could not only get by, but prosper as an independant nation.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
You would make it, your country has a lot to offer. And it's in Europe's best interest for Scotland to make it.:)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If it ain't Scottish its Crap! :D

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
I'm all for Scot's independence as would any other country that has their own unique histories and cultures.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

Sorry, I could'na rezist.

I waz gonna say that :mad:

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
An independent Scotland would be supported my many around the world. The Scottish Parliament has been in existence now for 10 years or so and now as you have stated they are showing their influence in the British Government.

My question is does Scotland have the infrastructure in place to be independent of the rest of Britain. Is the Health and Human Services separate in Scotland from the rest? What about the Public transportation etc.? I know from experience that the Scottish pound has a separate exchange rate than the British pound so some already think they are separate!

Buckle-meister

adk highlander said:
My question is does Scotland have the infrastructure in place to be independent of the rest of Britain. What about the Public transportation etc.?
I believe so. Glasgow has the largest public transport network outside of London (also the best shopping outside of London). It also has one of only three undergrounds in the U.K. although understandably it’s a fraction of the size of London’s. An airport link is in the process of being designed at present and the airport itself is likely to be enlarged over the next few years.

Glasgow maybe Scotland’s largest city, but Edinburgh is without a doubt the capital both generally and financially. A tram system has recently been put in place with more lines to be added in the near future. A link to, and expansion of the airport is also likely.

A high speed rail link between London and Edinburgh is currently being considered and a second Forth road (long span) bridge is looking more likely all the time, though the latter is at least in part due to the level of corrosion found on the current road bridge's cables (it's a suspension bridge). :rolleyes:

Where things potentially start going a bit pear-shaped is as you head further north. By its nature and throughout history, the Highlands and Islands, even though it encompass fully half of Scotland, has consisted of small rural villages/towns scattered apart, and in many instances in very remote and isolated locations. Public transport here can be, um, interesting to say the least.

To give you an example, the village where I originally come from, Tomatin, is but 16 miles from the (relatively recently made) city of Inverness. Buses to and from Inverness are but three per day: when I worked in London, the tram was every four minutes. I kid you not.

The Highlands and Islands pose a bit of a problem because generally you can’t have great transport links in place without compromising the surrounding scenery. However, demand is the ultimate driver of transport, and there simply isn’t anything like enough of that to warrant investment in all but the main trunk roads, so I wouldn’t be so concerned about what may appear to be scant infrastructure.

adk highlander said:
Is the Health and Human Services separate in Scotland from the rest?
Yes, Scotland has its own National Health Service (NHS). Since it devolved, control over Scotland’s NHS has rested with the Scottish Executive.

adk highlander said:
I know from experience that the Scottish pound has a separate exchange rate than the British pound...
I’ve no idea why Scottish notes would have a different (presumably poorer) exchange rate than English notes. They shouldn’t as both fall beneath the umbrella of Great British Pound (GBP). However, your experience doesn’t surprise me as most Scots who’ve travelled south of the border have enjoyed the experience of having their notes either reluctantly accepted or not accepted at all, :mad: yet in Scotland, nobody bats an eye at English notes when they have them. At the end of the day, they all spend the same.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

My guess is that most of us undereducated Americans already think Scotland is its own country. Either way, it doesn't really effect us.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm kind of surprised that only 52% of Scots want Scotland free? I don't have an opinion one way or the other because I am not close enough to the real situation, but if I had to, it would be for independence.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think you're going to get any disagreement here for independence. Asking Yanks if independence from England is a good idea seems like rhetorical question. True to form, I support it if the people want it.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jaxvon said:
I don't think you're going to get any disagreement here for independence. Asking Yanks if independence from England is a good idea seems like rhetorical question. True to form, I support it if the people want it.
...niiiicceee...

SheepStar

Buckle-meister

gmichael said:
Freedom is best. Let them give it a go.
I know you didn't mean it this way, but I'm very careful about saying anything along the lines of 'let them...' as it implies that independance is something England would give us.

Independance is ours for the taking should we decide we wish for it.

j_garcia said:
I'm kind of surprised that only 52% of Scots want Scotland free?
Yeah, me too. :( I don't know why the percentage is as low as it is, but figure that the following points at least partly explain it:

• The 'sticky' factor. It's well known that people tend to stick with something longer than they should. Changing a bank account to one that offers a better interest rate, changing employer and, I believe, becoming independant. Why change when the situation at present, whilst perhaps not perfect, isn't a disaster either?
  • Along the same lines, fear of the unknown. The fear of taking that leap of faith that we can make it work.
  • Throughout history, those living further south in Scotland have been more 'wedded' to England than those further north. Thus, given that of Scotland's 5m or so population 70% live in or around the Central Belt (Lowlands), it is perhaps less surprising that the percentage of people pro-independance is as low as it is. I am very confident in saying that were the Highlands and Islands alone to be polled, the percentage pro-independance would be significantly higher than 52%

Last edited:
M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
Independance is ours for the taking should we decide we wish for it.
That's what the CSA believed too ;) If this all comes about, will Scotland have a queen again? Just curious.

Mort

Buckle-meister

Mort Corey said:
If this all comes about, will Scotland have a queen again?
I wouldn't have thought so. What would be the point? A monarch would only be a figure head; government would still make the decisions. Besides, the gobs of money that'd be required to prop up a monarchy would be far better spent elsewhere.

Of course nobody ever said logic always wins the day. ;) :rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis