Should I sell my Oppo?

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Is Blu-ray dying? I feel like I haven't turned on my Blu-Ray player in over a year. Is oppo still as hot as it once was? Anyway the Oppo BDP-93 is just collecting dust.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't sell it depending on how many disks that you have. If few or none then maybe but if you have more than a few I'd keep it. I kept one blue ray, one DVD, and one combo DVD VHS just because I have a ton of blue rays and DVDs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like you stopped buying and playing them, so dying for you perhaps. You can probably still get pretty good coin even for such an older unit but depends on whether the little bit of cash is worth not being able to play them.....if you haven't used it in a year that's a pretty good indication of which way you're leaning I'd say. Mine are used nearly daily (streaming has taken over some of the movies duties), but still prefer the higher quality video/audio that bluray provides over streaming.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't sell it depending on how many disks that you have. If few or none then maybe but if you have more than a few I'd keep it. I kept one blue ray, one DVD, and one combo DVD VHS just because I have a ton of blue rays and DVDs.
literally have none.mainly used it for when the kids would get a movie from the library.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's up to OP. I haven't watched physical media in over 15 years, maybe more. From Kodi to now using Plex.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hey bro! You trying to audio block me! :D
Lol, sorry bro! I kinda lost it for a moment my bad.;) This hobby can make us do crazy things sometimes. Sometimes when I'm sleeping I dream of lil speakers chasing big speakers! I think I may need rehab, you think there's a rehab for home audio sickness? It's real and very addictive!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Lol, sorry bro! I kinda lost it for a moment my bad.;) This hobby can make us do crazy things sometimes. Sometimes when I'm sleeping I dream of lil speakers chasing big speakers! I think I may need rehab, you think there's a rehab for home audio sickness? It's real and very addictive!
Sounds like you've got it Bad too! Simply a Grade A Audioholic o_O

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is Blu-ray dying? I feel like I haven't turned on my Blu-Ray player in over a year. Is oppo still as hot as it once was? Anyway the Oppo BDP-93 is just collecting dust.
I'm not sure most media really does die.

We certainly need a reference standards. I think a 4K BD disc and player is the current AV reference playback standard in the home. I realize that Oppo BDP-93 is not a 4K player.

Certainly BD discs give better video than streaming, and the difference is not subtle on most sources. For 4K streaming the Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall has by far the best audio and video quality you can capture over the Net. The PQ leaves Netflix and Amazon way in the shade, and the loss less audio if really good.

So I do use my 4K BD players. The one issue with these new players, they need the TV on. So for CD I use my old Marantz CD 63R professional 19" rack mounted player. That is much handier for CD playing.

I use all four of my turntables. My reel to reel tape recorders less, and DAT and cassette hardly at all.

The only media I never embraced was 8-track and minidisc.

I have a large LP collection, CD collection and quite a few reel to reel tapes, a few cassettes and SACDs. I do have some 78 shellac discs even.

Personally, I would be loath to permanently ditch any of those media.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I use it less, but I still use it a enough. I have two :) Not giving them up. I've actually been buying a lot of 4K discs for Atmos/DTS-X

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
My OPPO-205 was purchased to enjoy 5.1 SACDs. At time of purchase, it was the most compelling option for stated pleasure via 5.1 RCA output, where few other players delivering 5.1 via RCA existed. Now there's ZERO options out there for 5.1 SACD entertainment via RCA output, only HDMI output. This means if I sold my OPPO I would have no means to enjoy my 5.1 SACDs, unless I purchased a AVR or PrePro having HDMI input. At any rate, I can answer your question easily. If you lose desired capability don't sell.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I like to keep all of my playback devices while I still have source material that I like. I still have 2 cassette decks because there are several albums that I only have in that format. Once I get everything in my digital library I'll probably let them go then. The few rare anime VHS tapes that I still have I plan to transfer to digital. Picked up an inexpensive HDMI to USB capture device and I can use the AVR to upscale the video before the capture process.

I've thought about creating a Plex movie library liked BoredSysAdmin, but the thought of ripping my DVD and Blueray collection is not very appealing. Time spent creating a library is time that could have been spent watching content. I also have a lot of anime DVDs and Bluerays and subtitles can complicate the ripping process if you want soft subs. Blueray audio and video still beats Netflix hands down but I imagine that streaming services will eventually catch up as bandwidth improves and they can use less compression.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Blu-ray is nowhere close to dying. But, i think the release of the Playstation 5 and the Xbox series X (multitasking with their 4k UHD players) contributed to other manufacturers closing shop on their dedicated blu-ray players. They were not going to sell enough.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Blu-ray is nowhere close to dying. But, i think the release of the Playstation 5 and the Xbox series X (multitasking with their 4k UHD players) contributed to other manufacturers closing shop on their dedicated blu-ray players. They were not going to sell enough.
I'm still using my PS3 as it's a terrific blueray player, but I don't have a 4k display yet. When I upgrade the display and AVR to 4k, I'll probably be looking at the latest Playstation again. An Oppo makes sense if you're not into gaming, but if you're a gamer why get a separate blueray player when the Playstation and Xbox double as very capable disc players?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis