should i replace drivers ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
of course i will give you the info ! thanks once again.
here is a link to the pdf.

https://130.com.ua/manuals/en/Manual-Car-subwoofer-Infinity-KAPPA-PERFECT-12VQ.pdf

my model is the Perfect12d VQ , so the 12'' dual 4 ohm voice coil.

its a pretty complicated subwoofer since it has inserts for a variable Q.
if i understand right, the best performance is without the insert. and that adapts it for the biggest box and best low end extension. wich is what i want. since it will be in a coffee table size doesnt really matter. i just want the best performance.
i will buy another one when i find one.
i already have one of these amps

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-qvlxcWvmgQJ/p_1365001V2/JL-Audio-Slash-v2-Series-500-1v2.html

its powered by a 120 amp power supply. this amp give 500wrms no matter the input voltage or ohm load. so its great for this application.

so that will be two 12'' coffee tables of 400w rms each !! should be really nice.

just the sub alone is 25lbs with a 3'' voice coil a Magnesium Metal Matrix cone. its a really amasing subwoofer.
would like to have your opinion on it. hope i made a good choice exchanging the jl audio 12w3v1 for this.

thanks
I have bad news for you on that driver. It has not been available for a long time and was only available for a relatively brief period of time. It was an interesting driver and had a big vogue on this forum some time ago. A lot of memebers built subs with that driver.

Unfortunately those drivers had a very short life with most falling apart in a pretty short period of use.

I can not encourage you to go ahead and build a nice coffee table sub with those drivers.

I did a lot of modelling on that driver for members. If you are going to vent it then you need the lowest Q insert. The mid and high Q have too high a Qts for vented application and make a boomy sub. The mid and high Q are for sealed alignments. They need a lot of Eq as do all sealed subs and that really made them fall apart. I have to stress though that from my recollection none of these subs were long lived.

Since that debacle a popular sub has been my vented design using the Dayton 18" driver. This makes a much better and far more potent sub.

Attachments

Last edited:
O

old_el_paseo

Audioholic Intern
Oh ☹. By falling appart you mean that the surrounds dont last, the spider sags.... ? Ecen if i build a no insert ported box ? So i should sell it and find something else ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Oh ☹. By falling appart you mean that the surrounds dont last, the spider sags.... ? Ecen if i build a no insert ported box ? So i should sell it and find something else ?
They all got cone voice coil separation and made a loud buzz. There were no recone kits available. So as soon as you heard the buzz, that was the end of the road.

You have to use the low Q insert box for a vented box. With no insert the Qts is over 0.7!. The low Q is 0.35 which is optimal for a vented box.

You should NOT build a box for that sub driver. Selling it may be tough, I suspect the problems with that driver are well known. However ti is 10 or more years ago since those had a brief lived following. The other issue is the ethics of selling a driver like that for any serious money. In all honesty it needs a decent burial. And another thing is you don't know the driver is not already broken. Unless it is unused it quite likely already has the problem.

O

old_el_paseo

Audioholic Intern
Im using it right now in a prefab sealed box. Sounds ok but i havent played it loud. Maybe i should try it loud to see if its already busted.
Ill see what im gonna do with that then. No use building a box for a sub thats gonna crap out sooner or later.
Guess ill start shopping for another sub before i build that. Ill concentrate on the front towers for now.

I also have an infinity kappa perfect 10.1 in my car. Does that one have a defect too ?

To bad, such a beautiful sub, but if i remember right. This is not the first time this happens to infinity sprakers ?

Thanks

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Im using it right now in a prefab sealed box. Sound ok but i havent played it loud. Maybe i should try it to see if its already busted.
Ill see what im gonna do with that then. No use building a box for a sub thats gonna crap out sooner or later.
Guess ill start shoping for another sub before i build that. Ill concentrate on the front towers for now.

To bad, such a beautiful sub, but if i remember right. This is not the first time this happens to infinity sprakers ?

Thanks
Again, I strongly recommend that Dayton 18" driver I sighted. It has all the T/S parameters in the sweet spot for a vented sub that is clean accurate and powerful. We have a number of members build that design and they have been really pleased with the results. It will make a much better sub than that infinity driver. In fact it would be hard to pick a vented design of any type that would best that, and certainly you could not at anything close to that cost.

O

old_el_paseo

Audioholic Intern
Yeah looks nice but that would be a dinner table, not a coffee table . Best option would be to wait till we move in our new house (in a couple of months) and then see what to do. But that enclosure is way too big to pass w.a.f

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yeah looks nice but that would be a dinner table, not a coffee table . Best option would be to wait till we move in our new house (in a couple of months) and then see what to do. But that enclosure is way too big to pass w.a.f
Yes, its a big box! If you want a good vented sub and 20 Hz then you will end up with a big box. To make a good small sub requires an expensive driver in a sealed enclosure, Eq and lots of power. It is expensive.

O

old_el_paseo

Audioholic Intern
The problem is not really the price. The problem is the 9 cubic feet box in my living room. Wife will never accept that . 2 boxes of 3 cubic feet would pass since thats 2 normal coffee tables on each side of the couch. Maybe there are some 15" that could be that volume ? If not then ill have to stick with two 12" subs. I know its takes big subs for low end. But i dont want an angry wife

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The problem is not really the price. The problem is the 9 cubic feet box in my living room. Wife will never accept that . 2 boxes of 3 cubic feet would pass since thats 2 normal coffee tables on each side of the couch. Maybe there are some 15" that could be that volume ? If not then ill have to stick with two 12" subs. I know its takes big subs for low end. But i dont want an angry wife
Yes, if you don't mind not quite getting to 20 Hz then 15" and 12" subs can do very well. Your speakers will have no pressing need for a sub. I would see how you get on without one. I do not use a sub in my main system. The speakers are truly full range and have absolutely no need of subs.

O

old_el_paseo

Audioholic Intern
For now i still have a 12" jl audio 12w1v2 that still does a descent job. So no big rush for that. But ill look for something good eventually.
For now ill concentrate on my 2 front towers. Then the sub and then center and rear channels.

O

old_el_paseo

Audioholic Intern
i will be starting the front towers with the modeling you did ! the two 8" subs,the two 6" mids and the tweeter. ill make sure to post pictures of everything as i go along.

also, i tried that infinity 12D VQ sub i was talking about. is it just me or does this sub suck ? im feeding it 500wrms, theres no low end. it moves a lot but theres no sound. i wont be building the box for sure after what you warned me about. bit i wanted to try it out. i feel like my jl 12w3 v1 was much better. this is a total disapointment from infinity....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

i will be starting the front towers with the modeling you did ! the two 8" subs,the two 6" mids and the tweeter. ill make sure to post pictures of everything as i go along.

also, i tried that infinity 12D VQ sub i was talking about. is it just me or does this sub suck ? im feeding it 500wrms, theres no low end. it moves a lot but theres no sound. i wont be building the box for sure after what you warned me about. bit i wanted to try it out. i feel like my jl 12w3 v1 was much better. this is a total disapointment from infinity....
If you use that driver in a sealed enclosure, then you have to use heavy Eq, like most sealed subs require. This also contributes to blowing the driver up.

O

old_el_paseo

Audioholic Intern
i started cutting the wood. 0.75''mdf and 1.5'' for the front pannel. just ordered the crossover parts, those things are expensive ! 170$ canadian. i went with the 14awg inductors instead of the 16awg. and the capacitors you recommended. i should have time to cut all the panel this weekend and hopefully have everything together by the next weekend by working 1 or 2 panels everynight (glueing and sealing) !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis