Should I add a second sub? Where? (see picture)

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
Speaker Layout.jpg
I have a 5.1 Setup in my open-floor plan great room.
I'm running Elac Uni-fi Towers, Uni-fi center channel, debut angled ceiling surrounds, debut 12" down-firing Sub.
I have the 12" down-firing sub in the left corner. I seem to like it there for movies as it creates more of an exciting rumble. For Music I play my front towers in Full Range and add the sub for the bottom end.
I'm reading so many articles about the pros of dual subs. I assume that the 2nd sub should go next to the Right front speaker. Or, I could place both subs between the towers and the TV. However, I think I lose some of that movie excitement when moving the sub in that location. Can someone help sort me out?
This is a crude illustration....

Last edited:
Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
View attachment 23089 I have a 5.1 Setup in my open-floor plan great room.
I'm running Elac Uni-fi Towers, Uni-fi center channel, debut angled ceiling surrounds, debut 12" down-firing Sub.
I have the 12" down-firing sub in the left corner. I seem to like it there for movies as it creates more of an exciting rumble. For Music I play my front towers in Full Range and add the sub for the bottom end.
I'm reading so many articles about the pros of dual subs. I assume that the 2nd sub should go next to the Right front speaker. Or, I could place both subs between the towers and the TV. However, I think I lose some of that movie excitement when moving the sub in that location. Can someone help sort me out?
This is a crude illustration....
next
I think you are on the right track. I'd try setting it next to the right main as a starting point. You'll probably have to slide it all over the room to be truly satisfied. Find a great source you know well, then start sliding it about. You will be happier with two as opposed to one. Good luck.

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Mitch.
That is my initial thought. There is no way to setup the subs symmetrically due to the room shape.
I keep reading that corner placement is not the best placemen. But for movies I think it works great.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Thanks Mitch.
That is my initial thought. There is no way to setup the subs symmetrically due to the room shape.
I keep reading that corner placement is not the best placemen. But for movies I think it works great.
Get a long cable and be flexible to placement.

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
Left of the right Speaker or right of the right Speaker?

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Left of the right Speaker or right of the right Speaker?
Your left may be land locked but you could try placing the right one in its corner or next to your sectional on the right end. I realize it might be totally impractical to move it out in the middle but it could act as an end table next to the sectional.

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
Maybe I could place one to the right of the right main. And then place one next to the chair as a side table.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Actually corner placement can be great. It excites all of the room modes plus you get extra boundary gain from being in a corner. I would personally try it outside of the right main. If your avr has Audyssey XT32 with subeq you will likey have really good results. Of course if you want to get granular, you can get a umik(or equivalent) and rew, and a minidsp.

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
Actually corner placement can be great. It excites all of the room modes plus you get extra boundary gain from being in a corner. I would personally try it outside of the right main. If your avr has Audyssey XT32 with subeq you will likey have really good results. Of course if you want to get granular, you can get a umik(or equivalent) and rew, and a minidsp.
My Onkyo TX-RZ900 has the newer version of AccuEQ.
Ok so a sub on the outside of each speaker. I’ll try that first.
Will there be much difference with having dual subs?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My Onkyo TX-RZ900 has the newer version of AccuEQ.
Ok so a sub on the outside of each speaker. I’ll try that first.
Will there be much difference with having dual subs?
Well all I’ve seen about accueq is that it’s not very effective. Not knocking it, cause I’ve never used it. So all I’ve got nothing there. “Will there be much difference?” To my estimation, yes. But that will depend first of all on how bad it is now. Obviously one of the benefits of multiple subs is the potential for a smoother response. The second sub will still need good integration, but once you achieve good setup, you should definitely expect more output potential, smoother response, and extra headroom. If you have any localization issues those should be gone, and you should just have a nice smooth effortless sounding system that goes from top to bottom.

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
I'm thinking of just sticking with 1 sub in the corner it's currently at. I'm not sure I need the 2 subs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis