Should Home Theater Embrace Gaming to Save the Industry?

Should Home Theater Stores Embrace Gaming?

• Yes. It will take gaming to the next level and get the young generationinterested into home theater.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No. The kids are all right.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • What for? I'm still rockin 8 bit Commodore 64 and Coleco.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Tell me why anyone needs it for Home Theater.
I occasionally game at 4k and I do it on my "HT" setup in my living room. Should I not be allowed to have higher FPS or higher bit rates?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Tell me why anyone needs it for Home Theater.
I think the general consensus has been that "today" it is not necessary for HT. It will be, and sooner than you may want, or even care.
Yes, the Consoles drove HDMI 2.1, and the overall industry was not ready.

I expect next years tech to be much more mature and the features of HDMI 2.1 to become more widely implemented beyond the Gamer-scape.
Unfortunately, anybody buying 2020/2021 products will likely find themselves unhappy as the overall tech matures. For the AVR market, I'm hoping the 3rd gen chip set will be done right and this part of the fiasco will be behind us.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I occasionally game at 4k 120Hz and I do it on my "HT" setup in my living room
That's for gaming. You don't need it for watching the Avengers on UHD Blu Ray. You don't need HDMI 2.1 120 HZ for Dolby Vision, HDR, HDR 10 plus, etc, DTS- Master, True Dolby, Atmos, and DTS-X, formats which are the foundation for modern Home Theater set ups.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
You're probably very young and have a level of disposable income that allows you to just blow through money on what's ever the new trend, which is what I expect gamers to do. I believe gaming means the end of HT as we know it, here comes the era of the "throwaway" TVs in exchange for gaming features.
  • You probably shouldn't make assumptions, which you have done repeatedly, when you have explained your thoughts. I am 50, so I would not classify that as young, it's somewhat amusing actually that you make things up to help make your points seem valid.
  • Yes a I have a certain level of disposable income, I didn't always, but my interest in gaming is what started out my HT purchases. From Computer Speakers, to better quality as both my age and income progressed. If not for gaming, I probably would not have been investing in better HT gear and equipment.
  • I know you believe gaming means the end of HT as we know it. That is your opinion, I won't make any assumptions or generalizations about you. I believe it will only help generate revenue for the HT market to innovate. The industry will not survive without revenue coming in.
  • To your point about "throwing away money" is kind of a joke,. I got into HT because I enjoy movies, I was in the market for a new Pre/Pro, I went with a reputable brand, why not get one with the latest features.
  • "You don't need HDMI 2.1" If HT was based only on need, the industry would already be dead. If you want to stream Atmos directly from your TV apps to your receiver, you can only do that with HDMI 2.1. Gamers wants screens with faster response time, refresh rates, picture quality. You don't think those innovations help HT? Screen refresh rates and response time do impact picture for viewing things like sports and live TV. Your thoughts are too narrow minded.
At the end of the day you make to many negative assumptions about gamers and the market in general ,to take your thoughts seriously.

We had the Atmos discussion a year ago and I did not take your side of the discussion and I enjoy watching my Atmos Movies at home. I felt you were wrong then, and I definitely feel you are wrong now. I just won't make any insulting assumptions about you to prove my point.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That's for gaming. You don't need it for watching the Avengers on UHD Blu Ray. You don't need HDMI 2.1 120 HZ for Dolby Vision, HDR, HDR 10 plus, etc, DTS- Master, True Dolby, Atmos, and DTS-X, formats which are the foundation for modern Home Theater set ups.
My HT setup is for media consumption where watching movies are part of it. Listening to multichannel music is important as well. Other people have other needs that are not necessarily mine.

I don't even have an UHD player...

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
My HT setup is for media consumption where watching movies are part of it. Listening to multichannel music is important as well. Other people have other needs that are not necessarily mine.

I don't even have an UHD player...
You don't have a UHD player, EXACTLY, point proven. The aspirations of the Home Theater Enthusiast are different from the gamer. As it relates to this topic, those are my concerns. I believe the industry will hear the gamer over the HT enthusiast because we tend to be older.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
The aspirations of the Home Theater Enthusiast are different from the gamer. As it relates to this topic, those are my concerns. I believe the industry will hear the gamer over the HT enthusiast because we tend to be older.

The market is doing what it's supposed to do, cater to profitable market segments and no care, at all, about unprofitable ones.

Commission custom gear for yourself.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You're probably very young and have a level of disposable income that allows you to just blow through money on what's ever the new trend, which is what I expect gamers to do. I believe gaming means the end of HT as we know it, here comes the era of the "throwaway" TVs in exchange for gaming features.
Man, you sure do make a lot of assumptions... this has been my main contention with you. I don't think you have enough info to back up most of what you've been saying, and when I point it out you just deflect to something else or turn to sophistry.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You don't have a UHD player, EXACTLY, point proven. The aspirations of the Home Theater Enthusiast are different from the gamer. As it relates to this topic, those are my concerns. I believe the industry will hear the gamer over the HT enthusiast because we tend to be older.
Eh, I don't think your point is proven at all with respect to HDMI 2.1, which is what I replied to. I like multi-use where it makes sense for my situation but I'm not that arrogant to think that my preferences/circumstances are universal.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You don't have a UHD player, EXACTLY, point proven. The aspirations of the Home Theater Enthusiast are different from the gamer. As it relates to this topic, those are my concerns. I believe the industry will hear the gamer over the HT enthusiast because we tend to be hyperbolic and make crap up out of nowhere...
fixed that for ya...

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
  • You probably shouldn't make assumptions, which you have done repeatedly, when you have explained your thoughts. I am 50, so I would not classify that as young, it's somewhat amusing actually that you make things up to help make your points seem valid.
  • Yes a I have a certain level of disposable income, I didn't always, but my interest in gaming is what started out my HT purchases. From Computer Speakers, to better quality as both my age and income progressed. If not for gaming, I probably would not have been investing in better HT gear and equipment.
  • I know you believe gaming means the end of HT as we know it. That is your opinion, I won't make any assumptions or generalizations about you. I believe it will only help generate revenue for the HT market to innovate. The industry will not survive without revenue coming in.
  • To your point about "throwing away money" is kind of a joke,. I got into HT because I enjoy movies, I was in the market for a new Pre/Pro, I went with a reputable brand, why not get one with the latest features.
  • "You don't need HDMI 2.1" If HT was based only on need, the industry would already be dead. If you want to stream Atmos directly from your TV apps to your receiver, you can only do that with HDMI 2.1. Gamers wants screens with faster response time, refresh rates, picture quality. You don't think those innovations help HT? Screen refresh rates and response time do impact picture for viewing things like sports and live TV. Your thoughts are too narrow minded.
At the end of the day you make to many negative assumptions about gamers and the market in general ,to take your thoughts seriously.

We had the Atmos discussion a year ago and I did not take your side of the discussion and I enjoy watching my Atmos Movies at home. I felt you were wrong then, and I definitely feel you are wrong now. I just won't make any insulting assumptions about you to prove my point.
I was not wrong about what I was saying about Atmos, it still holds true. However, that was a different discussion.

I don't make negatives assumptions about gamers, they are what they are. I just have a problem when they push their values into HT.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I was not wrong about what I was saying about Atmos, it still holds true. However, that was a different discussion.

I don't make negatives assumptions about gamers, they are what they are. I just have a problem when they push their values into HT.

What values, exactly, are they pushing that are disturbing you so much?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Eh, I don't think your point is proven at all with respect to HDMI 2.1, which is what I replied to. I like multi-use where it makes sense for my situation but I'm not that arrogant to think that my preferences/circumstances are universal.
Sir, it has nothing to do with preference. What I said is a fact. We don't need HDMI 2.1 nor 120HZ displays to have the state-of-the-art home theater experience. The multi-use is in reference to gaming, otherwise, your system is not unique to any other system.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You probably shouldn't make assumptions, which you have done repeatedly, when you have explained your thoughts. I am 50, so I would not classify that as young, it's somewhat amusing actually that you make things up to help make your points seem valid.
Yeah, he said the same about me too, and I'm 51. It's kinda useless arguing with him because he's a dishonest interlocutor, assumes way too much and isn't very concerned with the actual facts surrounding the subject. Just one bald assertion after another, but I do think exposing that could be helpful to some of the readers so I'm happy to keep pointing out fallacies. The arguments I've read so far remind me of how some folks justify bigotry.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sir, it has nothing to do with preference. What I said is a fact. We don't need HDMI 2.1 nor 120HZ displays to have the state-of-the-art home theater experience. The multi-use is in reference to gaming, otherwise, your system is not unique to any other system.
Sure. How does any of that hurt the HT side of things? So far it seems like none of this has any real negative impact on you...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis