Should Business Ethics Factor into What AV Companies You Purchase From?

Should the Business Ethics of AV Companies Influence Your Purchasing Decisions?

• Yes. Let's hold them accountable to their beliefs or practices?

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • No. Stay out of the politics and purchase what you like.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Don't care. I buy second hand AV products.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Not around here in new-joicey - plenty of ExxonMobil gas stations.
Valdez spillage was estimated to be around 11 million gallons of crude oil. Deep Water Horizon was 130 million gallons into gulf water with minimal to none water circulation...

To quote classic Alan Rickman's Metatron: "You people. If there isn't a movie about it, it's not worth knowing, is it? ". That said I completely forgot about that movie - I guess I'll look for it.
Yeah I live in Jersey and there are some Exxon gas stations but they are independent from what I understand. Exxon exited the retail gas station business a long time ago. Hess did too and they had the nicest gas stations around.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Man I just try to stay out of all this political bullsh$t it's getting pretty damn old really. It's either Covid politics or wokeness. I get it I know it's all important but sometimes you just have to take a break. For your own dang sanity

But I do care I mean who doesn't care

It's why I went with RBH a great company full of great guys and all there products from what I understand are made here in the USA.

Did I pay more then overseas? Yeah but I'm glad I did it.

Luckily RBH is dedicated to bringing quality to that extra American expense tag. And there products perform every bit as good as they cost. In fact better then products that cost a lot more

I could have accomplished what I wanted by cutting corners for less possibly but I wouldn't have it any other way

No regrets no regrets at all.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Man I just try to stay out of all this political bullsh$t it's getting pretty damn old really. It's either Covid politics or wokeness. I get it I know it's all important but sometimes you just have to take a break. For your own dang sanity

But I do care I mean who doesn't care

It's why I went with RBH a great company full of great guys and all there products from what I understand are made here in the USA.

Luckily RBH is dedicated to bringing quality to that extra American expense tag. And there products perform every bit as good as they cost. In fact better then products that cost a lot more

I could have accomplished what I wanted by cutting corners for less possibly but I wouldn't have it any other way

No regrets no regrets at all.
But unfortunately RBH is out of most people's price range. I mean I probably could afford some speakers from them but I'd be divorced before I got to enjoy them. They may be amazing, and great people running it but most people can't spend that kind of coin in speakers. I'd love to hear some at some point though.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Exxon is out of the retail gas business but they do much more damage with their exploration and refining business but I get what you are saying. Exxon Valdez was enough for them to not be trusted.
BP is just as bad. The movie Deep water horizon was a good has to scare the crap out of anyone. That's an example of capitalism gone crazy. Very, very sad but we got a great Mark Wahlberg movie out of it. Sound and bass is incredible. I wish we didn't have the accident and in turn a need for the movie.

Exxon stations are all over- do a search online.

"I wish we didn't have the accident and in turn a need for the movie." and to care about the movie's sound and bass......at least that part was good.

highfigh

highfigh

Made in the US, or assembled with parts from foreign sources?

One reason so many goods like speakers aren't made here is because the cabinets are often finished using materials that contain hazardous VOCs and as a manufacturer, they're required to meet EPA guidelines, which means the spray booths need to capture the VOCs- those are extremely expensive and the EPA is always looking over their shoulder, so it's less costly and easier to just buy the pre-finished cabinets. A small operation doesn't have the same level of restrictions, but they still need to avoid fumigating their area. I would be very surprised if they make their drivers, too.

If someone digs deep to find out the details of finished goods WRT the origin of the parts, it's hard to find anything made in the US, from start to finish. Most US-based speaker companies use Asian drivers and many of the old brands have been sold to Asian corporations.

Not really looking for an answer, but how did we ever reach this point in manufacturing?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
But unfortunately RBH is out of most people's price range. I mean I probably could afford some speakers from them but I'd be divorced before I got to enjoy them. They may be amazing, and great people running it but most people can't spend that kind of coin in speakers. I'd love to hear some at some point though.

Yeah I spent a lot of time setting that money back

And Ill be off the buying market for a while Santa's definitely done for the next year and a half to 2 years

So I'm glad they are so enjoyable

I think your point brings up why this is a tough question for a lot of buyers

It's hard to ignore the savings you get with other companies

I'm sure as heck not judging anybody for what they buy from where. It's a tough decision for any of us.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Made in the US, or assembled with parts from foreign sources?

One reason so many goods like speakers aren't made here is because the cabinets are often finished using materials that contain hazardous VOCs and as a manufacturer, they're required to meet EPA guidelines, which means the spray booths need to capture the VOCs- those are extremely expensive and the EPA is always looking over their shoulder, so it's less costly and easier to just buy the pre-finished cabinets. A small operation doesn't have the same level of restrictions, but they still need to avoid fumigating their area. I would be very surprised if they make their drivers, too.

If someone digs deep to find out the details of finished goods WRT the origin of the parts, it's hard to find anything made in the US, from start to finish. Most US-based speaker companies use Asian drivers and many of the old brands have been sold to Asian corporations.

Not really looking for an answer, but how did we ever reach this point in manufacturing?
I think even there cabinets are made here I'm sure some of there electronics for the internal are bought from overseas. It's literally like impossible to buy something with everything purchased from here

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Regarding the original topic:
The same argument can be made about whether or not you want to continue personal relationships with friends and family that decided to support Trump or republican leaders under the misinformation they receive about how or when abortions occur or any of the other nonsense they learn from Fox News. NO... people are not shooting the babies in the head after they are born and no, doctors are not aborting babies a week before they are due but these are their arguments. Letting women and children get raped and murdered by ICE agents at the border wall is ok though. Letting people stock pile automatic weapons designed for mass murder to kill children in schools is ok though. Letting people contract a deadly virus only to spread it to other people and die is ok though. The pro-life argument is purely a one way street. My body, my choice only applies to conservative nut jobs that refuse to wear masks for public safety. They get to choose but refuse to give others the same rights over their bodies. Either you agree that guns should stay out to the hands of people that massacre children in schools or you are pro-life. Either you agree that black lives matter or the people that do are terrorists. Either you understand that Antifa is an anti fascist ideology that opposes most of what Republicans' are trying to pull or it's a terror organization. You can argue till you're blue in the face with your neighbor or family about the scare tactics that Democrats want to take away your guns and kill your babies when it's all made up to keep the base in line and to redirect from the atrocities Republican's are permitting and supporting. Spending money is the same as spending time or emotional investment, it all has value. If Onkyo was the only company on the planet that sold a receiver that had all the HDMI 2.1 inputs I needed to complete my media room but donated money to the republican hate crimes committee I might still consider buying it. The product will give me joy, unlike having neighbors that refuse to take down their Trump flags or putting up with people everyday that insist covid is a hoax. Seriously, the world around us and the people in it suck harder than buying a chick fil a sandwich, despite them putting pickle on them.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

"I wish we didn't have the accident and in turn a need for the movie." and to care about the movie's sound and bass......at least that part was good.
Yep got gas at one yesterday. Most of the ones I see in my area are with Circle K stores.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I spent a lot of time setting that money back

And Ill be off the buying market for a while Santa's definitely done for the next year and a half to 2 years

So I'm glad they are so enjoyable

I think your point brings up why this is a tough question for a lot of buyers

It's hard to ignore the savings you get with other companies

I'm sure as heck not judging anybody for what they buy from where. It's a tough decision for any of us.
It's also tough because it's hard to compare one speaker model to another. I mean a 3 or 4 thousand dollar Def Tech to what? I mean what's the equivalent and is that going to be US built?
I mean I really want Ascend acoustics speakers at some point and they are "hand assembled" in the US but I don't believe anything they are made of are from the US. Is that a good compromise?
In the end I guess it's kinda what you said, you just buy what you buy from wherever you buy it from. We can't be the force that figures everything out about a company before buying a product. I'll try a bit but I'm not going nuts finding every little detail out about a company.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I saw a clip with Eugene Levy, explaining that he took the show to the US networks and they liked it, but had a problem with the name. He went to CBC and they also liked it & had a problem with the name until he said that if someone looks in a phone book anywhere in the US, 'Schitt' would be found as a surname- that's what got them to give it the go-ahead.
Well, I'm not poking this hornet's nest ;) but will gladly promote Canadian comedy. Hop onto Youtube and search for SCTV to see what the gang was up to before Saturday Night Live became big. After all of these arguments you Yanks need a good laugh.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
As usual president Trump lives rent free in your small little empty brains just like Obiden.

U

Uncle_Big_Green

Audioholic Intern
Should consumers make an ethical or political choice in their purchasing? There are all real-world examples of products that you could vote on with your economic ballot, but they all require consideration. Read Jerry Del Colliano's editorial to see if you agree with his thoughts.
  • Would you buy ungodly expensive audiophile cables from somebody that goes full Trump package to publicly make fun of people with autism and COVID-19 on Facebook?
  • Would you support an audiophile company that took PPP loans the same COVID-19 month that the CEO bought a new 6-figure sports car?
  • Would you buy an amp from a beloved AV company that might have “borrowed” some intellectual property about said amps from a major, multi-billion-dollar, well-known industry leader?
  • Would you buy audiophile speakers from a company that publicly takes a high moral position, but has high-up executives who are adulterers on staff?
  • Is it OK for an audiophile company to paint speakers in a conservative state of the country in ways that would never meet state standards for environmental protection in your state?
  • Would you buy a subwoofer from someone who owned a loosely defined patent that was well-protected by a local judge friend?
  • Would you buy a pair of wireless headphones or an all-in-one speaker from a company that sues over trademark infringement at every possible chance, because they know that they can win because they have more billions of dollars?
  • Would you buy AV cables from a company that encourages the specialty AV media to drive their fleet of exotic cars before going to a fully hosted sporting event?
  • Would you buy a pair of speakers or a top-performing AV receiver from a big electronics conglomerate that supports giving instruments and lessons to kids in schools in the United States who can’t afford a music program, because their schools are so poorly funded?
View attachment 49387
Read: Should Ethics of AV Companies Affect your Purchasing Decisions?
The author should cite the specifics of the GA election legislation that he dislikes (not what the talking heads purport) and also compare those to other states' laws like DE, for example. I wish this place didn't have the Steam Vent. I just avoid it normally, but saw the editorial linked on the main page. Not that any of you care, but I'm in the "live and let live" camp (as opposed to the nanny camp) and it appears that I'm in the minority here.

Last edited:
L

LRAD

Audiophyte
The US swiped Intellectual Property from Germany? My recollection of history is that powered flight was developed in the US by the Wight brothers in Kitty Hawk, NC. More importantly than the flight was their Intellectual Property to engineer and manage the flight surfaces allowing "controlled" flight to take place. So where did Germany "swipe" the IP on control surfaces to allow controlled flight? It's certain powered flight of heavier-than-air aircraft was culturally appropriated from the US. The Wright brother's discoveries gave rise to aeronautical engineering as a career path and multi-billion dollar industries.

Are we to say that the recording and playback industry was "swiped" from Thomas Edison's gramophone? The IP for this is the capability to record and playback. So another thing culturally appropriated from the US?

Seems to be human nature "improve" on the ideas of others and that's just an iterative process. So what's the defining moment in time that seals the IP? No aircraft manufacturer would be where they are without the Wrights dedication to bring flight to reality. The industry focus of this site would not exist without Edison.

Actually hate that your article was published on this site. Prefer articles dedicated to the main interests of the site such as audio product reviews and opinions. Hearing political drivel is like hearing political opinions of athletes - they should stay in their lane and focus on their sport.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

But they are not owned by Exxon. Exxon the corp exited the retail gas business in 2008. Just cause the station says Exxon does not mean it's owned by the Exxon corporation.

U

Uncle_Big_Green

Audioholic Intern
The same argument can be made about whether or not you want to continue personal relationships with friends and family that decided to support Trump or republican leaders under the misinformation they receive about how or when abortions occur or any of the other nonsense they learn from Fox News. NO... people are not shooting the babies in the head after they are born and no, doctors are not aborting babies a week before they are due but these are their arguments. Letting women and children get raped and murdered by ICE agents at the border wall is ok though. Letting people stock pile automatic weapons designed for mass murder to kill children in schools is ok though. Letting people contract a deadly virus only to spread it to other people and die is ok though. The pro-life argument is purely a one way street. My body, my choice only applies to conservative nut jobs that refuse to wear masks for public safety. They get to choose but refuse to give others the same rights over their bodies. Either you agree that guns should stay out to the hands of people that massacre children in schools or you are pro-life. Either you agree that black lives matter or the people that do are terrorists. Either you understand that Antifa is an anti fascist ideology that opposes most of what Republicans' are trying to pull or it's a terror organization. You can argue till you're blue in the face with your neighbor or family about the scare tactics that Democrats want to take away your guns and kill your babies when it's all made up to keep the base in line and to redirect from the atrocities Republican's are permitting and supporting. Spending money is the same as spending time or emotional investment, it all has value. If Onkyo was the only company on the planet that sold a receiver that had all the HDMI 2.1 inputs I needed to complete my media room but donated money to the republican hate crimes committee I might still consider buying it. The product will give me joy, unlike having neighbors that refuse to take down their Trump flags or putting up with people everyday that insist covid is a hoax. Seriously, the world around us and the people in it suck harder than buying a chick fil a sandwich, despite them putting pickle on them.
"Letting?" Who made you everyone's mom? : )

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
"Letting?" Who made you everyone's mom? : )
Nice talking points straight from CNN & MSDNC

highfigh

highfigh

But they are not owned by Exxon. Exxon the corp exited the retail gas business in 2008. Just cause the station says Exxon does not mean it's owned by the Exxon corporation.

I didn't know that and I don't know how they're involved, but Mobil's name is associated- did Mobil buy the retail end?

highfigh

highfigh

Well, I'm not poking this hornet's nest ;) but will gladly promote Canadian comedy. Hop onto Youtube and search for SCTV to see what the gang was up to before Saturday Night Live became big. After all of these arguments you Yanks need a good laugh.
I watched SCTV when it was on in the old days- their take on 'Leave It To Beaver', horror movies and others were great. In not for that show, we wouldn't have seen Dave Thomas (as the Beaver), John Flaherty, John Candy or two of the stars of Schitt's Creek, Levy and O'Hara.

Did you watch 'Not Necessarily The News'?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis