M

Mike+++bass

Audioholic Intern
I have not tried to wire them in series yet. I have one wired to the front main left, one on front main right, one on back left, and one on back right. I was playing with all the settings again last night with the sub unhooked so I can just hear the speakers. I had to turn the back set of speakers off because now they are getting a loud humm in them. The sub is a cerwin vega 10" down firing. I can get the model number tonight. The sub used to hit a lot harder with the old receiver also. I notice the receiver has a setting that won't let anything below 60 hz go to any of the speakers. That is the lowest I can set the built in crossover. Settings are 60 hz, 80 hz, 100 hz, and 120 hz. I think this is what is creating my biggest problem with this receicer.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Are the speakers set to large? Then the only crossover you would need would be the sub crossover which should be set to 80hz for simplicity sake.

M

Mike+++bass

Audioholic Intern
Yes the speakers are set to large. I thought the crossover setting was for the speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have not tried to wire them in series yet. I have one wired to the front main left, one on front main right, one on back left, and one on back right. I was playing with all the settings again last night with the sub unhooked so I can just hear the speakers. I had to turn the back set of speakers off because now they are getting a loud humm in them. The sub is a cerwin vega 10" down firing. I can get the model number tonight. The sub used to hit a lot harder with the old receiver also. I notice the receiver has a setting that won't let anything below 60 hz go to any of the speakers. That is the lowest I can set the built in crossover. Settings are 60 hz, 80 hz, 100 hz, and 120 hz. I think this is what is creating my biggest problem with this receicer.
Do you use the all-ch stereo mode with the 2nd set of speakers on the surround (you using surrounds or back surround terminals)? Or are you trying to use surround sound modes? Not sure why your 2nd set of speakers would have hum particularly now, tho....unless the used unit had issues.

If you're using the sub generally you'd set your speakers to small, and a starting crossover of 60-80 hz is pretty common. Do you have the low pass filter on the sub turned up to max value? Have you tried changing phase? How about raising the subwoofer level in the avr? Crossovers aren't brick walls, so even set at 60hz your speakers still get info below that and your sub info above that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes the speakers are set to large. I thought the crossover setting was for the speakers.
A crossover is a low pass filter for your sub in combination with a high pass filter for your speakers...

M

Mike+++bass

Audioholic Intern
The speakers can play from 28 Hz - 20 kHz and I would like to hear them play that with or without the sub. The garage Is just under 700 sq ft. Can I shut the crossover off?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The speakers can play from 28 Hz - 20 kHz and I would like to hear them play that with or without the sub. The garage Is just under 700 sq ft. Can I shut the crossover off?
If you run the speakers as large/full range then there is no crossover unless your particular avr still limits the speakers with a high pass filter, but I doubt your Onkyo does that. Some avrs do have a double bass setting (LFE + Main it's often called) so you can use the speakers as large/full range plus redirect some bass to the sub as well. Just because your speakers can play to 28hz doesn't mean they do it as well, particularly at higher volumes, as a sub. Square measure doesn't mean much to bass, it's more about total volume of space.

M

Mike+++bass

Audioholic Intern
When I get close enough to all the speakers I can now hear crackling from them. The back ones were more obvious because the way I had it dialed in. I must have got a bad receiver from the pawn shop. When I have my subwoofer plugged in I cannot hear the crackling until I get close to the speaker. I brought my home receiver to test the speakers and there is no crackling.

M

Mike+++bass

Audioholic Intern
The tower speakers do sound better when double bass is off. That surprise me

M

Mike+++bass

Audioholic Intern
I am done with this receiver I don't like spending money on my credit card if I don't have the money in my pocket but I need something. Is there any recommendations for under $500?? I will spend more of that is what it takes.

M

Mike+++bass

Audioholic Intern
I need the front 2 channels to be 4 ohm full range (front left and right) I am selling one set of cv tower speakers. I have a nother set of sony tower speakers I will mount up above the garage door to free up some floor space. They are sony ss-mf515 that I will put on the rear channels. I need a sub rca out and a good way to adjust the sound. Thank everyone for all the help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you need four speakers? Are you actually using a matrix to expand to surround sound without the center channel?

ps in my workshop I just added two more to go 7.2 from 5.2 but I do use actual surround modes, not trying to have two/three stereo pairs (and do have a center).

M

Mike+++bass

Audioholic Intern
With all the tools there is a dead spot in the front by the garage doors. Not sure about the matrix question. The some of the tools are loud and without having speakers by the garage door all I will hear is bass.

M

Mike+++bass

Audioholic Intern
Yes I am trying to use the surround modes I guess I should not be calling them channels. Sorry for the confusion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I am trying to use the surround modes I guess I should not be calling them channels. Sorry for the confusion.
More my interpretation earlier, thought you were using two stereo pairs back when you mentioned 4 channel and MCode indicating 2ch receiver which you didn't respond to. Surround and channels do go hand in hand.

M

Mike+++bass

Audioholic Intern
Sorry for not responding to your question sooner. I was not sure what you were talking about. Ì am green to a lot of this stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis