Sherbourn PT-7020A Processor First Look

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Talking about the 362, I agree Hotel C sounds good with them but have you tried some violin concertos or any concertos or symphonies yet? I tried CD, Laser, SACD, even turntable, they do not sound good, not enough for me anyway. I used to not believe speakers can sound good with only certain types of music now I am second guessing myself aftering listening to the 362 for so long. I wonder if I could somehow replace the tweeter and the crossover.
I've always brought classical music with me to sample speakers. If speakers can't play classical music well, I'm not interested. Its harder to get clasical music right over any other genre IHO.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Big orchestral music is tough for most speakers to play back faithfully, including the B&W 800D & 802D.

I think speaker designers have to use orchestral music as basis for their sound design.

I brought Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 20 (First Movement) when I audition the B&W and all speakers. Most of these speakers did not fair well IMO.

I think the Revel Salon 2, KEF 201/2, & Orions are the least COMPROMISED.

But it seems like all of them are compromised to a certain degree when compared to the real live orchestral environment.

I have not heard a single speaker that can play back Concerto No. 20 to my absolute total 100% satisfaction.:D

The Salon2, 201/2, & Orion come pretty close, though.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You have a point there.

Yesterday I was listening to Mozart Piano Concerto No. 20 on the Linkwitz Orion. I tried both 2.2 (Rythmik) and 2.0 (Pure Direct, without the Rythmik). I guess Mozart's Piano Concertos don't utilize the subwoofers very much.:D

Anyway, after listening to the Orions, I listened to the Infinity P362s. And I have to agree with you. :D
On the other hand I compared them with my $3,300 a pair Energy and you did even worse, with a $9000 (list I guess) pair Linkwitz. So we probably expect too much from the 362 that probably would compete nicely with any <$1,000 a pair floor standing speakers. I know price is not the only thing but it is a major factor in many cases.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On the other hand I compared them with my $3,300 a pair Energy and you did even worse, with a $9000 (list I guess) pair Linkwitz. So we probably expect too much from the 362 that probably would compete nicely with any <$1,000 a pair floor standing speakers. I know price is not the only thing but it is a major factor in many cases.
I think most people would think we are just crazy comparing the P362s to $3,300+ speakers.:eek::D

The P362s played Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Violin Concertos pretty well, though.:D

I think the P362s can play Piano & Violin Sonatas pretty well. It's just the concertos and symphonies that give them and every other speaker a challenge.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I have not heard a single speaker that can play back Concerto No. 20 to my absolute total 100% satisfaction.:D

I think if you made a true constant directivity Dipole with U-Frame woofer (like the Nao Note) using the best drivers in the world (like those used in the Salk Soundscape) in a truly optimized listening room... with a custom PC based FIR crossover in a true multichannel setup with high power amps

Then you could say it :D

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
I have not heard a single speaker that can play back Concerto No. 20 to my absolute total 100% satisfaction.

The Salon2, 201/2, & Orion come pretty close, though.
I have to give a vote for the Usher 6381 and the 8571 Dancer both get close.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Big orchestral music is tough for most speakers to play back faithfully, including the B&W 800D & 802D.

I think speaker designers have to use orchestral music as basis for their sound design.

I brought Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 20 (First Movement) when I audition the B&W and all speakers. Most of these speakers did not fair well IMO.

I think the Revel Salon 2, KEF 201/2, & Orions are the least COMPROMISED.

But it seems like all of them are compromised to a certain degree when compared to the real live orchestral environment.

Piano difficult for music, and if it is a Mozart piano concerto then you need great clarity and detail without any strident features to the sound presentation.

The big problem with piano, is that almost all speakers "bloom" in the bass.

The reproduction must be non resonant. That leaves you five choices, a planar speaker like the Quad ESL, a TL, an infinite baffle, an open baffle and a well deigned horn system.

Planar speakers are power limited, as open baffles are as well.

The infinite baffle requires a large space adjoining the listening area.

None of the above augment the driver. Loudspeaker drivers couple to the room poorly.

A horn couples the driver to the room the best, but is prone to significant irregularities and artifacts. A bass horn is also a formidable affair from an architectural standpoint.

A TL gives the significant augmentation to the driver, and remains non resonant. Correctly designed there will be no bass bloom and the bass will be totally realistic. It is the preferred loading for all but the largest spaces, where horn loading is optimal.

For large orchestral works, speakers have to be free of thermal compression and power limitations within the dynamic range of the material presented.

Most speakers fail in addition to lacking accuracy because they are power limited and or under powered.

To reproduce a large symphonic work realistically requires at least 400 watts per channel for most speakers, and preferably more.

I have just listened to Mozart piano concerto No, with no complaints

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Talking about the 362, I agree Hotel C sounds good with them but have you tried some violin concertos or any concertos or symphonies yet?
I just listened to Mozart Piano Concerto No. 20 on the Orions @ Max Volume of 85dBA.

The sound was awesome - absolutely dynamic with no hint of compression whatsoever.

But at what volume did I listen to the Infinity P362s? I don't know.:eek:

I never measured the Max Volume dBA when I listened to the P362s.

Did you PENG?:D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Why was this receiver not reviewed was it bad? I see some people recomm it on some threads lately, but when I googled no one has ever reviewed it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis