Sherbourn 7/2100a hot while in standby...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't sound like a particular worry, especially if running a fan. Is the hum amp hiss or a slight ground loop hum? How far away from the speaker are you when you hear it? First probably just what it is, the second you could possibly work on. What temps without fan does it climb to when running it "vigorously"? Hopefully you have a way of measuring?

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
How do you like your Ultras? I've had mine about 3 years now and I'm not itching to get rid of them anytime soon. Well, unless I hit the lottery or something... :p
So far I love them! Just got them 2 weeks ago. Towers and Center for a great price. I had some Focal / JM labs that I replaced with them.... great sound stage. Ultra bookshelves on the way for the surround this week! Can't wait.

What are you powering yours with?

Shame is the system sounded unreal with the Sherbourn...spoke to an amp repair guy today. He said he will look at for free. said it may have to be biased. Didn't know SS amps need biasing...oh well we will see.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
Doesn't sound like a particular worry, especially if running a fan. Is the hum amp hiss or a slight ground loop hum? How far away from the speaker are you when you hear it? First probably just what it is, the second you could possibly work on. What temps without fan does it climb to when running it "vigorously"? Hopefully you have a way of measuring?
It sounds like a hmmm like a 60hrtz gound loop. May have to do with the electric in the house. Hooked it up to a Furman Line conditioner with no luck. Temps stay in the 85-90 deg. with the Aircon T8 running on it. .... I didn't run it without the T8 on it. Problem is it stays at around 90 when in standby and I still hear a hiss from tweeters...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It sounds like a hmmm like a 60hrtz gound loop. May have to do with the electric in the house. Hooked it up to a Furman Line conditioner with no luck. Temps stay in the 85-90 deg. with the Aircon T8 running on it. .... I didn't run it without the T8 on it. Problem is it stays at around 90 when in standby and I still hear a hiss from tweeters...
Some amps have a high noise floor (hiss), some less so. Just how audible is it at what distance from the speaker? 90F isn't all that "hot"....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So far I love them! Just got them 2 weeks ago. Towers and Center for a great price. I had some Focal / JM labs that I replaced with them.... great sound stage. Ultra bookshelves on the way for the surround this week! Can't wait.

What are you powering yours with?

Shame is the system sounded unreal with the Sherbourn...spoke to an amp repair guy today. He said he will look at for free. said it may have to be biased. Didn't know SS amps need biasing...oh well we will see.
I have a Monolith 7, so gobs of power that I almost never dip into, lol. I have all my gear in the spoiler tag in my sig.

Cool that you found someone to take a look at the amp, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it if it doesn't work out. Sonically speaking most amps are all going to sound more alike than different. You'll find more audible improvements by making sure your speakers are positioned best for your room, type of room correction or dsp you use, type of subwoofage and placement of those, or even upgrading speakers. Don't buy an amplifier expecting any major improvements unless what you have now is defective or something.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
Some amps have a high noise floor (hiss), some less so. Just how audible is it at what distance from the speaker? 90F isn't all that "hot"....
It's only audible with my ear close to it.... through the Integra it is dead silent

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's only audible with my ear close to it.... through the Integra it is dead silent
So how did you adjust gain between your pre-amp and amp? Does the Sherwood have a gain adjustment?

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
I have a Monolith 7, so gobs of power that I almost never dip into, lol. I have all my gear in the spoiler tag in my sig.

Cool that you found someone to take a look at the amp, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it if it doesn't work out. Sonically speaking most amps are all going to sound more alike than different. You'll find more audible improvements by making sure your speakers are positioned best for your room, type of room correction or dsp you use, type of subwoofage and placement of those, or even upgrading speakers. Don't buy an amplifier expecting any major improvements unless what you have now is defective or something.
Good point. I saw your set up. very similar with the Ultras. Did you see a improvement with the Monolith 7 over the Marantz SR6011 ? I use Audyssey from the Integra for room correction... but it is an older version as the Reciever is like 10 yrs old...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Good point. I saw your set up. very similar with the Ultras. Did you see a improvement with the Monolith 7 over the Marantz SR6011 ? I use Audyssey from the Integra for room correction... but it is an older version as the Reciever is like 10 yrs old...
Honestly I don't really think I noticed any improvement in sq adding the Monolith, but my AVR runs a lot cooler now and I don't worry about having enough headroom.

You could look into a newer receiver with updated room correction and possibly gain something. Denon and Marantz both employ Audyssey still and the midrange and up receivers have the XT32 version which works really well for me. For Denon something from the 3*** series or up and Marantz the 6*** series and up. Some of the older models can be had for a great price and are still current enough for today's purposes.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
Honestly I don't really think I noticed any improvement in sq adding the Monolith, but my AVR runs a lot cooler now and I don't worry about having enough headroom.

You could look into a newer receiver with updated room correction and possibly gain something. Denon and Marantz both employ Audyssey still and the midrange and up receivers have the XT32 version which works really well for me. For Denon something from the 3*** series or up and Marantz the 6*** series and up. Some of the older models can be had for a great price and are still current enough for today's purposes.
Thanks for the info.... I am doing an addition to my house....great room off the kitchen...so I will look into a new AVR with ATMOS for that room. Will def consider a Marantz or Denon...heard great things about both companies. Current system is in the basement... So was just looking to see if an upgrade of power would help me with headroom and clarity. I like listening to Bluray concerts LOUD! ;-) Dual SVS PB 4000's are the next upgrade...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dual SVS PB 4000's are the next upgrade...
Winner winner, chicken dinner! A pair of PB4000s will have so much more impact on what you hear than any amp would. With a new amp you may gain a small amount of headroom, but I wouldn't expect anymore clarity. A good pair of subs tho, will do more than just add bass. Good subwoofage has a way of cleaning up the whole system.

Check out this SPL calculator. It'll give you an idea of just how much power it takes to gain even a few dB. You have to double your power to gain 3 dB of spl. Just fill in the boxes (speaker sensitivity, power level and distance) and click calculate. Tick the dot for 2 speakers and I usually figure "Near A Wall" too.

Every time I share that with someone I end up playing with it for at least a few minutes, lol.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
yeah, I'm pretty pumped about the sub upgrade! From what I hear...it makes a huge difference as you stated.

Cool calculator. this is what it gave me:

not sure what it all means...but i guess i need to move listening position closer! lol

RESULTS
20.4​
dB Gain from amplifier
-12.9​
dB Loss due to dispersion (distance)
7​
dB Gain from sonic reinforcement (multi speakers)
3​
db Gain from placement (reinforcement from reflected sound)
105.5​
dB SPL at listening postion

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you play with the power number? That's where a lot of folks are surprised. They punch in big watts and only see a gain of a few dB.

105 dB at your seat is very, very loud. No sane person would listen at that level for long, lol.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
Ohhhh Ok.... got it.... didn't know that it only added so little. My typical listening volume with Bluray concerts is high 90's. lol Never say 105 maybe 103 at max peak... and that was LOUD! lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ohhhh Ok.... got it.... didn't know that it only added so little. My typical listening volume with Bluray concerts is high 90's. lol Never say 105 maybe 103 at max peak... and that was LOUD! lol
Have you measured that volume with a SPL (dB) meter from where you sit or are you going by the dial setting? Your dial and the volume you hear are 2 different things unless you calibrated it that way.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
Have you measured that volume with a SPL (dB) meter from where you sit or are you going by the dial setting? Your dial and the volume you hear are 2 different things unless you calibrated it that way.
yes.... slp meter... I usually check levels after I run Audyssey....I use to increase levels to 75db, but SVS told me to trust the Audyssey program...usually about 73 db. so as I listen to music I pull it out to see how loud it is... haha!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva wouldn't even support Gene's Emotiva Amp when it was out of warranty. So no way Emotiva would support the old Sherbourn. :D
If I remember right but I have slept since than, back in umm 2012 Emotiva and Sherbourn where kind of connected and as Emotiva Usually does they had a link on their site to Sherbourn, selling gear having Fire sales. Sherbourn had a AVR that yeah you guess it had a lot of bugs. Now that the years have passed I’ve come to a conclusion that Emotiva is putting out gear for a few years, stop Producing amps and other gear so After its out of warranty won’t service. So my Conclusion is they are Absolutely in it just to make a quick buck with cheap gear and poor dudes that spent hard money are left holding a door stop.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Shelby331, maybe you should not use that music switch?
Also, amps don't create tight sounds and Mtrot, they certainly don't smear mids and highs nor will interconnects affect the sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis