Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Sheep sorry to hear about your Pug! Just browsing this thread and I see my old sub being mentioned. And....NO...3db got cold feet and did not buy my sub....his lost IMHO. However here is a picture of it in the new owners home alongside his RF7's. He (Matt)just shot me this pic minutes ago.... hope to go over one day and hear his set-up.... its going to awesome. The room is not very large but a dedicated HT room and those speakers and sub will rock that room. I'm thinking about bringing my XS30 over as I'll be upgrading the driver at months end just to see how it will sound like...in there.:D

Congrats on the new AVR & Pug...btw.....you certainly get your monies worth buying a Yamaha....looks sharp and the pug is prudy cute as well..my daughter loves pugs...she actually wants one but we'll wait n see.:)
Thanks Billy! What made you go to the XS30 vs the subwoofer you had built? I'm still fine with my Velo right now, it has a massive amount of output for it's size. I will be probably upgrading my fronts in the nearish future (moving back into my parents RENOVATED basement to save up for a house). I want something good for movies, but I just can't decide. Energy RC30s pop up on CL all the time, and Paradigm has always been a brand I wanted to like, if that makes sense. I'll need to see what the system is like when it's in that room. It'll have full proper in wall wiring and some RBH in ceiling surrounds that I was given.

Looking good. That's a major upgrade. Would love to see your thoughts when your finished setting it up.

Just picked up a Yamaha R-S300 stereo receiver myself.
Well thoughts are hard for a Receiver... it's just plays noise (you know me, I don't buy into the bullshit). I found it odd to have to get the volume up to -40ish range for what I would normally get at -55 on the old RXV440, but the new receiver goes to +16.5 so that might be why. YPAO was fun to setup, but it made the fronts large and the crossover point 100Hz. I might keep it that way, because the rears (Mirage Nanosats) have zero bass. It even caught a speaker wire I put in out of phase accidentally so it's not a gimmick at least. I boughta display model but luckily it hadn't been touched by anyone. On screen menu is nice and much better then starring at the DOT matrix display. I will the yellow font but the white gives it a much more modern look (and DAMN does it look the part). Personally I don't think I'm using even a 1/10th of the capability seeing as I have a 4.1 setup in an Condo that I can't really flex unless it's 1:00pm on Saturday, and even then it's still a bit of a **** move. Nothing really else to say, I have only had 1 day to actually use it (detailed a car last night until 1:30 am).

SheepStar

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Very nice setup Sheep. Looks sharp. Congrats on the Pug. as well. That Yammy will have no problem driving those Klipsch into deafening levels.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Very nice setup Sheep. Looks sharp. Congrats on the Pug. as well. That Yammy will have no problem driving those Klipsch into deafening levels.
How dare you call Energy and Mirage Klipsch! These are pre takeover days speakers!

SheepStar

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Billy! What made you go to the XS30 vs the subwoofer you had built? I'm still fine with my Velo right now, it has a massive amount of output for it's size. I will be probably upgrading my fronts in the nearish future (moving back into my parents RENOVATED basement to save up for a house). I want something good for movies, but I just can't decide. Energy RC30s pop up on CL all the time, and Paradigm has always been a brand I wanted to like, if that makes sense. I'll need to see what the system is like when it's in that room. It'll have full proper in wall wiring and some RBH in ceiling surrounds that I was given.
SheepStar
Just want to change things up...the XS30 gives me that added extension down low...I usually don't exceed reference playback beyond peak levels...so...I always had a ton of headroom at my disposal...I just felt the my old sub dropped off suddenly ~18hz....the PSA is able to give me more of what I wanted and substantially more "mid bass" thump.

Now...sure...the old sub really did a great job in that capacity (about as good as it gets for a 12" ported) but you can only ask so much from that driver...even one as robust and linear as the AV12x...with the likely room gain and being a sealed unit I suspect achieving 14-15 with the XS30 was not impossible.

If...I could of had one wish....having bought the XS30...it would have asked for it to be a little more articulate with music and able to produce certain notes with better response and literally zero overhang like the SB13U displayed.

My understanding with the newer modified OEM version LAB15 drivers PSA is now using...it would likely add a wee bit more in hz/spl and making an already good product... even better...IMO. Heck...I might need to re-borrow that SB13 again....down the road....:D.

Simply put...if the numbers are accurate & according to PSA....which I have no reason to doubt..this makes the XS30se a poorer mans version of the SubM. That SubM would have cost me >3k cdn to my door. The XS30 was a "bridge" or stop-gap...at least for the time-being and with the new units it now makes me a lot happier... even for the long haul...:)

Cheers...Bill

Ps: I'll be heading to Ohio in early July & stopping by PSA facility in Mineral Ridge. I'm going to demo a set of Traix's & with some luck, sample their new line of HT speakers coming out in the non to distant future....I'll report back once we return home but you can be certain...I won't be returning with any more subs...my missus would kill me & she is on this trip...:eek:.

Last edited:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Well thoughts are hard for a Receiver... it's just plays noise (you know me, I don't buy into the bullshit). I found it odd to have to get the volume up to -40ish range for what I would normally get at -55 on the old RXV440, but the new receiver goes to +16.5 so that might be why. YPAO was fun to setup, but it made the fronts large and the crossover point 100Hz. I might keep it that way, because the rears (Mirage Nanosats) have zero bass. It even caught a speaker wire I put in out of phase accidentally so it's not a gimmick at least. I boughta display model but luckily it hadn't been touched by anyone. On screen menu is nice and much better then starring at the DOT matrix display. I will the yellow font but the white gives it a much more modern look (and DAMN does it look the part). Personally I don't think I'm using even a 1/10th of the capability seeing as I have a 4.1 setup in an Condo that I can't really flex unless it's 1:00pm on Saturday, and even then it's still a bit of a **** move. Nothing really else to say, I have only had 1 day to actually use it (detailed a car last night until 1:30 am).

SheepStar
I wouldn't worry about the speaker settings to much. It seem's most auto setup routines get the crossover and size settings wrong. I have always had to change mine manually. The C1's worked well at 80hz when I used them up front briefly. 120hz seems perfect for the Mirage speakers.

I'm mainly curious about your thoughts on YPAO after you have used it some more.

Enjoy !!! :D I bet Band Of Brother sounds killer with all the lights out.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
How dare you call Energy and Mirage Klipsch! These are pre takeover days speakers!

SheepStar
Chill!

I was looking at the pic in Billy's response and thought that was your set up instead of going back to the original post. My bad.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Chill!

I was looking at the pic in Billy's response and thought that was your set up instead of going back to the original post. My bad.
Haha, easiest way to tell if it's my post is to check the picture. If it's a bad picture, it's not mine.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis