Sharpness setting in 55" Vizio E series?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I've read most reviewers (rtings, for example) recommend setting it to 0 in most manufacturers TVs, including Vizio. The original "calibrated" setting (20) looks okay on 4k content but not great, and way too soft on upscaled content.

Using a test pattern, it didn't show any unnatural edge enhancement at 20 but a little bit above that level. Setting it to 0 looks awful, and 20 is still a bit softer than I'd like. At 25, it looks a lot more true to life, especially on upscaled material (or even 30 when upscaling from 720p). Is it generally a bad idea to increase the sharpness above the "calibrated" level? It seems to me real life looks sharper than the TV does at 0 or 20.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Calibrated is exactly that, the reference point. Just like audio calibration, you are free to tweak to your own preference.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Do you use the spears and munsil disk?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Try readjusting the contrast after sharpness is set at 0. I would also turn any 'edge enhancement' settings off or low. While your at it, turn off basically every 'enhancement' setting. If you wanna see how they affect the picture, try them after the TV is calibrated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
All of the settings affect the others. I normally turn sharpness (and edge enhancement, motion enhancement, noise reduction, etc...) settings down most of the way, if not off; depends on the display, BEFORE adjusting the other settings.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No, it's only 1080p and using other upscaled test patterns resulted in problems.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
I wondered... fwiw, 3rd edition should be released mid year.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis