B

BuddTX

Audioholic
I have never liked bose.

BUT, I have to say, I know people that have purchased them, and liked them, because they:
1. Had a High Spousal Approval rating
2. The guys were not knowledgable in the alternatives
3.So, their choices were either Bose or nothing.

Now , back to why I "disagree" with the Bose philosophy.

In the 70's and 80's, the back cover of EVERY STEREO REVIEW had the Bose 901's.

The 901's consisted of 9 FULL RANGE DRIVERS, EIGHT of them facing AWAY from the lister, and one facing TOWARDS the listener.

The concept was, according to Bose, that live music is 89% directed, 11% direct. Their speaker placement was trying to recreate this 89/11 ratio.

My argument was, that:
1. The 89/11 concept only applied to live music, not studio and electronic and amplified music such as rock concerts.
2. There are so many variables in a live performance, where you sit, the walls, the ceiling all different in different locations, # of people size of the room, general acouscics, etc, that there could NOT be one single ratio.
3. WHATEVER the direct/reflected ratio, when the sound hit the microphone, the sound was ALREADY at the proper direct/reflected ratio. There should be NO REASON to reflect the sound that was already reflected!

NOW, I am going to give a third opinion, and that is, that there are (and were) untold thousands of people that bought the Bose, and, in their mind, they bought the best speaker in the world, and they were very happy.

Now, while I would like to educate them and let them know that there are better options than Bose, who am I to take away their happiness?

U

Unregistered

lol

Im just glad that someone posted the link about bose, for the most part you can really tell that bose supporters are quite the F#%^&@$ snobs themselves. Most true bose supporting "audiophiles" say that people who hate it have an unrefined undisiplened ear. !CAREFULL! we gots bullsh*ts lyin round! Bose was, has and always will be an advertising market driven company. Bose does not sell audio equitment, just like Ikea doesnt sell reall furniture. They both sell lifestyle accesories, things that one uses to make a statement about themselves. Having actually worked at best buy and delt with overbearing nazi corprate idiots and selling bose to customers I have a feel for the type of person who buys it. Most everyone looks at it, and just says it would be nice to have that some day. I would stop them right there and say, "what if you could have it now for a tenth the price". They just look at me funny and either smile or ask how. Really the only people who actually buy it are snobbish upscale types who dont actually care about watching anything on it. I doubt these people even listen to music. What people get out of bose is security in their place in life. Don't laugh! It my rant and I can say what I want. Bose knows its not really audio equitment, why do you think it doesnt advertise in any audiophile publications. Because it advertises every other possible place, every place that would not have a objective opinion on it. Do you know that actually tried to sue consumer review for giving the acustimass a score of 6? They failed horribly and the case was kicked out, but after that no credible publication will review them, they just dont want to deal with it.
Let people who buy bose alone, its not worth your energy to bash it. Bose is like every other trend. Bose=Hummer, just think of it like that. Bose will be defunct some day dont worry! All empires crumble given a long enough timeline :D. I used to fight it kicking and screaming. I would try to sway anyone and everyone away from bose, because even best buy doesnt make any money off them. Its such a greedy company. They make a 4000 dollar HTitB for 125 dollars. Now thats Greed. The sad fact is not everyone cares about music, or film. Not everyone cares about having a system that can make music the most intimate it can get.
I remember the last day I worked a snobby upscale woman came in and wanted the 2800 dollar system, despite everything I tried she wouldnt budge. I even went as far as just blatently saying this system does not reproduce sound in an accurate or pleasing manner(Last day, no fear of boss :D). It still didnt manner, she didnt give a sh*t about quality. It was about impressing other people who dont care. The kind of people that wouldnt even sit down to listen to a real system if you invited them into your house. Its all about going with the flow, think prolitariate and bourgeoisie.:D

WARNING: RANT OVER

thank god I spelled bourgeoisie right, wheeew

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Well I think what's happening is Bose's R&D team are working on prefessional systems, and the home systems get the 40 year trickle-down tech. That way they can build the home stuff chepa, and sell it high while talking about how well known and used their stuff is in the industry, etc.

Also keep in mind a huge amount of R&D is prolly being used up in the autmotive sector. Anytime a speaker maker moves into automotive sound, it will eat up tons of brainpower since a car is the worst possible acoustic environment. It sucks to begin with, and you just can't treat the insides, you have to build the system around the flaws.

I've heard Bose's pro spekaers, and they are actually pretty nice, it's just their home stuff that's crap. They could also use a bit of edumacation on how to make a better car system too. The car systems all seem to have issues with deep, heavy bass....even some disco can make them go nuts....disco....that's over 20 years ago...i know stock sound systems that can play that stuff....

Really I would just go JBL before Bose. At least their products are solid.

annunaki

annunaki

Bose is addressing the problems with deep bass and extreme highs. It is now employing compression circuitry in the head units and/or amplifiers. If you cut that out of the signal now you do not have to use as high of quality speaker to handle dynamics. Those engineers are so smart. :rolleyes:

Any of the newer GM vehicles with Bose systems use these types of compression systems. It is quite easy to notice, even if one does not posess "golden ears".

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
ugh....nice they took the same approach as I did to makeing spakers when I was 12. Good job Bose, for making the asme poor choices a 12 year old would make.

Good speakers aren't much...a poly woofer is only marginally more. definate thumbs down to them for that.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
hmm why do I have ad-words in only my messages? This is quite odd.

U

Unregistered

Link did not work

The link in the second page didn't work. I want to read it since I want to enlighten myself about BOSE products. I want to learn more. Thank you

U

Unregistered

Bose bashing is an instant credibility buster in my book. It's an instant sign that someone doesn't know what they are talking about. That article people are citing to is retarded from an audio science point of view. If you can't figure out why after reading it for 5 minutes, go buy a clue.

Ever noticed how Bose speakers always rate among the most accurate with Consumer Reports, and relatively low prices for what you get?

Everyone always says Consumers Union was sued by Bose. Well, this is true, and it went to the Supreme Court. Consumer Reports had said the Bose 901 image dnaced along the walls. A Federal District Court, a Federla Appeals Court, and the United States Supreme Court all agreed that when Consumer Reports wrote this they knew it was false. Consumers Union won in the Supreme Court because, although their publisehd statement was false, it was not actionable, because it did not constitute actual malice.

Don't believe me? Read:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&court=US&case=/us/466/485.html

Then again, if you are a Bose basher, you probably don't have the intelllect to understand the article.

A

audioscientist

That article people are citing to is retarded from an audio science point of view.

Talk about an 'instant credibility buster'. Maybe you need to buy yourself a clue. One could be had for far less than the cost of any Bose system.

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
Unregistered said:
...Then again, if you are a Bose basher, you probably don't have the intelllect to understand the article.
I read the article, and I believe that I have the "intelllect" to follow it. Bose based their entire case on semantics. They did not deny that the sounds of different instruments in the sound stage were inaccurate. They tried to prove that the exact description of the speaker's inaccuracy was inaccurately described!

Let's face it. Some of the Bose speakers are not TERRIBLE. When the 901's were introduced in 1968, they out-performed many of the speakers of that time. The 201's and 301's sound as good or better than most mid-range speakers that were built in the early 80's. Their acoustic properties are similar to many surround-channel speakers built today by other manufacturers in a sound diffusion perspective. Dr. Bose had some very innovative ideas in the late 60's and early 70's, but if you go out and buy a pair of 301's today, they will sound no different than the 301's of 25 years ago. They have not had an innovative idea (as far as home audio is concerned) since then.

The problem that many of the people in this forum have with Bose is that they use inexpensive (read cheap) parts and charge an arm and a leg for the finished product. They then spend millions on advertising to convince the public that their products are better than they actually are. I am willing to bet that they spent more on researching how to maximize how their speakers sound in their specially designed listening kiosks and showrooms than they did on the speakers themselves.
They do everything they can to avoid direct comparisons of their products with other manufacturer's products in the same listening environment.
They do not advertise the specifications of their products. Do you think that it might be because it would not be in their best interests for anyone to actually have something to compare them to other products?

U

Unregistered

Exactly. Why waste so much vitriol on Bose when the industry is flooded with snake-oil salesmen. It makes no sense.

gene said:
Zip;

It could be worse you know. Some cable companies enjoy charging in excess of $4k for speaker cables with a battery attached to them. I say shame on the companies that do this, the dealers that promote it, and the consumers whom don't research it enough before buying it!

U

Unregistered

I totaly agree, i just bought a bose triport headset, the sound is great from what I think. The problem was that when I was putting on my headset on my head, the headband just snapped from the adjustment track like a twig. So it is true, the company uses very cheep parts, designed simple yet very cheap designs and you will pay the price for them. Also you cant treat your bose products like u do everything else, your gonna have to treat it like your baby because if u dont, its buy bye bose product.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
If you know someone who is thinking of buying B(l)ose speakers simply have them come over for a listening session after they have heard a B(l)ose demo. I have caused at least two studio owners to dump their 901's after a listening session in my sweet spot. :cool:

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Unregistered said:
Bose bashing is an instant credibility buster in my book. It's an instant sign that someone doesn't know what they are talking about. That article people are citing to is retarded from an audio science point of view. If you can't figure out why after reading it for 5 minutes, go buy a clue.

Ever noticed how Bose speakers always rate among the most accurate with Consumer Reports, and relatively low prices for what you get?

Everyone always says Consumers Union was sued by Bose. Well, this is true, and it went to the Supreme Court. Consumer Reports had said the Bose 901 image dnaced along the walls. A Federal District Court, a Federla Appeals Court, and the United States Supreme Court all agreed that when Consumer Reports wrote this they knew it was false. Consumers Union won in the Supreme Court because, although their publisehd statement was false, it was not actionable, because it did not constitute actual malice.

Don't believe me? Read:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&court=US&case=/us/466/485.html

Then again, if you are a Bose basher, you probably don't have the intelllect to understand the article.
1. If you can explain to me the "audio science" behind any Bose product I will be shocked. hell, their own marketing reps that sell the product to dealers can't even do it.

2. The fact that you are using a publication to verify your thoughts on audio equipment that also test microwaves, cars, cell phones, laptops, and blenders (sometimes all in the same issue) kills any credibility you had before your post as well as any I would have given you for succeeding in the above mentioned challange entitled "1."

3. I don't have a clue what bringing up a lawsuit that blasts the same orginazation you are also trying to use as a reference point to solidify your argument has to do with your point..... Except to kill it.

4. Most importantly: STFU. You obviously have 0/ZERO experience in the A/V industry. Nor have you A/B'd many Bose products against products in it's price point market space. PS... I have, for years.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
InTheIndustry said:
...2. The fact that you are using a publication to verify your thoughts on audio equipment that also test microwaves, cars, cell phones, laptops, and blenders (sometimes all in the same issue) kills any credibility you had before your post as well as any I would have given you for succeeding in the above mentioned challange entitled "1."

And your credibility , what little you had, just went out the window with this silly comment. You just have no idea about CU, how they test, nothing. Thanks. Zero credibility.

J

JAD2

I listen with my mouth open...
I dont get this!!!
You bash the hell outta Bose for whatever your reasonings are.
People go out and buy Bose for whatever reasons, go home, hook them up and are quite happy and run the product til the day it dies or doesnt go with the decor anymore.
So now a bunch of people whom call themselves Audiopiles come along to preach your crap how Bose is inferior and you should buy X.
Hell X according to some are junk also, overpriced etc and Y is better. No Z is better and X is OK while Y is junk and so on. Buy, sell, trade, swap, upgrade, downgrade etc etc etc trying to find that ultimate that is there for some time, but then fads out listening to more crap that said what you had was bad and so on.
Who's the bigger fool, the one who bought Bose, so-called overpaid and was happy and never got caught up in all this crap, or the one that now has a expensive Audio Pile that he isnt sure if it was good or not and just kept looking for better???

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
And your credibility , what little you had, just went out the window with this silly comment. You just have no idea about CU, how they test, nothing. Thanks. Zero credibility.
What qualifies you to comment on what I "have no idea about"? Did I state something about consumer reports that was contrary to fact? They do test microwaves, compact cars, cell phones, etc. right?

It's funny, I picture you walking around a Walmart right now with a rolled up Consumer Reports magazine debating on spending the extra $8.00 on the Samsung toaster oven because it got an extra half circle for durrability. It's made my morning.

Consumer Reports is an okay pub for some stuff, but for your audio equipment? Their test samplings are mostly made up of what you find at CC or BB. If that's your scope of thinking when it comes to A/V stuff, well, then I guess you have bigger problems than Consumer Reports being your "Audio Bible". I know their ratings are easy to read, but can't you find a better publication for your information on audio equipment?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I think that you have a point jad2. If people are happy with their Bose setups then leave them be. If anyone asks me I tell them to stay away from the B-word because of the outrageous cost to performance issues, but if someone I know has already bought a set and likes the sound I keep my mouth shut. The only thing I can say in defense of the others in this site is that this is their passion. They are quite right in stating how poorly Bose products stand on their own when copmpared to some products that cost a third as much. You are quite correct in talking about how obsessed the guys on this site are about their audio gear. But to be fair they are posting on an AUDIO website. Everyone on here is either nuts for audio already or is a newbie looking for advice. Do you honestly think that a newbie would best be served by someone telling them to go and get a $4000 Bose setup? For $4000 you can do much, much better, even in the "super-tiny" speaker section.

Sometimes I do get frustrated with equipment bashing, and sometimes I disagree with some of the poster's tastes in speakers, music, gear, etc.. but as long as the advice is well meant and informed I try not to contradict.

I guess my jist is that this is a forum for those passionate about audio or trying to learn more. Neither of those classes of people should be interested in a $4000 underacheiving system IMO.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis