Setup advice - Episode vs GoldenEar?

E

erigs

Audiophyte
Novice alert! Looking for some advice and views on a surround system I'm planning to install in my basement, as I was proposed two different setups by two different AV installers, and I have no clue what's the better option. Brief background: my basement is in an "L" shape and open concept otherwise. The TV/sound system is going in the bottom left corner of the "L", meaning the TV is up against the wall, but there is no back/side walls for me to put speakers on. As such, I'm looking at a passive soundbar for LCR (the wife doesn't want towers) and in-ceiling speakers for the back surround.

Option 1:
- Onkyo Digital Receiver TX-NR787
- Episode 550 Series Thin Design 3-Channel Passive Soundbar
- 2 NHT iC2-ARC in-ceiling speakers
- Episode Element 10" Ported Powered 200W Subwoofer

Option 2:
- Marantz SS Receiver NR1510
- GoldenEar 3-Channel Soundbar
- 2 GoldenEar in-ceiling speakers (INVISA-525)
- GoldenEar 8" 1000W Subwoofer (ForceField 3)

Option 1 was quoted at $800 more than Option 2 (total cost including all wires, bluray, installation, etc which was roughly the same otherwise).

Thoughts? Is one speaker setup better than the other? If option 1 is better (which I don't even know is true or not), is it worth the extra cost? I've tried to do some research on the two speaker brands, but its been difficult to find many reviews on the Episode brand, though it seems to be a reasonably common brand for AV installers from what I can tell (based on some quick googling online at least!).

Thanks ahead of time for your help and input!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Novice alert! Looking for some advice and views on a surround system I'm planning to install in my basement, as I was proposed two different setups by two different AV installers, and I have no clue what's the better option. Brief background: my basement is in an "L" shape and open concept otherwise. The TV/sound system is going in the bottom left corner of the "L", meaning the TV is up against the wall, but there is no back/side walls for me to put speakers on. As such, I'm looking at a passive soundbar for LCR (the wife doesn't want towers) and in-ceiling speakers for the back surround.

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 1 was quoted at $800 more than Option 2 (total cost including all wires, bluray, installation, etc which was roughly the same otherwise).

Thoughts? Is one speaker setup better than the other? If option 1 is better (which I don't even know is true or not), is it worth the extra cost? I've tried to do some research on the two speaker brands, but its been difficult to find many reviews on the Episode brand, though it seems to be a reasonably common brand for AV installers from what I can tell (based on some quick googling online at least!).

Ever heard of episode speakers. My GUESS is that it’s an installer brand with a huge markup and they probably push that. Not sure.
Golden ear on the other hand is a reputable brand that makes some very nice speakers. I would consider a larger subwoofer though. An 8”er o matter who makes it, will not deliver any kind of a$$ kicking bass. Especially in a basement that’s made of concrete. That environment eats bass.
Can’t recommend any further than, of those two, I’d choose the GE’s. I would never buy a sound bar, and my wife would just have to deal with my gear, especially in a basement. It’s my house too!!!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I also never heard of Episode. I do run a pair of the GE T2 (it was their original flagship speaker), and these are excellent speakers.

If it were me and my $, I would take GE and Marantz any day vs. Episode and Onkyo. The fact that the GE setup is $800 cheaper is just icing on the cake!

And.....I agree you want a larger sub, something from an Internet Direct brand will beat any GE sub out there.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Option 1:

Option 2:

You need to post model numbers if we're going to advise on price. Did they give you package pricing, or do they show each item with its own price?

If package 1 was over $2750, look somewhere else.

From the prices I found, and I sell Episode, the MSRP for the sub is a little higher than the Golden Ear, the sound bars are pretty close, the NHT in-ceiling speakers are about $50 ea more than the Golden Ear and the Onkyo is older, so it may be on its way out- the Marantz is new, as in, it may not have hit the dealers and distributors yet.

Go back and have them explain why the first package was $800 more.

highfigh

highfigh

I also never heard of Episode. I do run a pair of the GE T2 (it was their original flagship speaker), and these are excellent speakers.

If it were me and my $, I would take GE and Marantz any day vs. Episode and Onkyo. The fact that the GE setup is $800 cheaper is just icing on the cake!

And.....I agree you want a larger sub, something from an Internet Direct brand will beat any GE sub out there.
Episode hired the designer from Jamo- they're pretty decent speakers and I have used several models. As I wrote, I'm not sure why the difference should be $800- I used MSRP for the models I can buy (first group)vs the online selling prices for the second group and the difference came to $201. If the GE sound bar isn't the same as what I found, that could explain it but that would also mean its MSRP is about $500- the Episode MSRP is $1099. I recently used an Episode 500 series sound bar and two of their 6" subs in a living room that opens to the dining room and the main hallway. The LR has a high ceiling, too- fills the whole area very nicely. They didn't want a large sub because it would be in the way and these went on top of a large wall of shelves.

E

erigs

Audiophyte
Episode hired the designer from Jamo- they're pretty decent speakers and I have used several models. As I wrote, I'm not sure why the difference should be $800- I used MSRP for the models I can buy (first group)vs the online selling prices for the second group and the difference came to $201. If the GE sound bar isn't the same as what I found, that could explain it but that would also mean its MSRP is about $500- the Episode MSRP is $1099. I recently used an Episode 500 series sound bar and two of their 6" subs in a living room that opens to the dining room and the main hallway. The LR has a high ceiling, too- fills the whole area very nicely. They didn't want a large sub because it would be in the way and these went on top of a large wall of shelves.
Yes, I was confused on why option 1 was more money too. From prices I could find online, it looked like the two systems should have been roughly the same price (option 1 roughly $100 more on my estimates).

Option 1 installer didn't give detailed pricing (just a total cost number). Option 2 installer gave details for each item, each matching what I found online. From what I could tell, option 1 guy was simply charging more for installation.

Yes, the Episode soundbar was $1100 from what I find and the GoldenEar soundbar was $1000 (MSRP for each)

E

erigs

Audiophyte

Thanks. This is consistent with what I was leaning to and seems relatively unanimous on the forum thus far. Better to go with option 2 over option 1.

Good advice on the sub. Just did a little more reading on the GoldenEar sub and it seems the reviews are a bit lack luster. Any specific subs you would recommend in its place (or brands at least)? From some reading online, it looks like HSU Research, SVS, and Klipsch consistently get spoken highly of. That being said, I have no idea what would mesh well with this system

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. This is consistent with what I was leaning to and seems relatively unanimous on the forum thus far. Better to go with option 2 over option 1.

Good advice on the sub. Just did a little more reading on the GoldenEar sub and it seems the reviews are a bit lack luster. Any specific subs you would recommend in its place (or brands at least)? From some reading online, it looks like HSU Research, SVS, and Klipsch consistently get spoken highly of. That being said, I have no idea what would mesh well with this system
Add Rythmik to the sub list!

Excellent products, and for me they are local. My F15HP is a beast!

E

erigs

Audiophyte
Add Rythmik to the sub list!

Excellent products, and for me they are local. My F15HP is a beast!
Any thoughts on the SVS Duel 1000 series? Two subs at $950 sounds attractive to me, but since its their lower end speaker, not sure of the quality. Would probably look to spend no more than $1000 on the subs.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Any thoughts on the SVS Duel 1000 series? Two subs at $950 sounds attractive to me, but since its their lower end speaker, not sure of the quality. Would probably look to spend no more than $1000 on the subs.
I have no experience with SVS.

I was heavily considering an SVS at the time of my Rythmik purchase. But, about that time Rythmik got a B-Stock unit (they don't get much B stock) up for sale, and that is when I realized they are located less than 10 miles from my job. Being a local company adds value for me, just in case problems do arise, and I like to keep my $ in the local economy when possible. Of course, never a problem.

E

erigs

Audiophyte
I have no experience with SVS.

I was heavily considering an SVS at the time of my Rythmik purchase. But, about that time Rythmik got a B-Stock unit (they don't get much B stock) up for sale, and that is when I realized they are located less than 10 miles from my job. Being a local company adds value for me, just in case problems do arise, and I like to keep my $ in the local economy when possible. Of course, never a problem.
Understood. Thanks

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, I was confused on why option 1 was more money too. From prices I could find online, it looked like the two systems should have been roughly the same price (option 1 roughly $100 more on my estimates).

Option 1 installer didn't give detailed pricing (just a total cost number). Option 2 installer gave details for each item, each matching what I found online. From what I could tell, option 1 guy was simply charging more for installation.

Yes, the Episode soundbar was $1100 from what I find and the GoldenEar soundbar was $1000 (MSRP for each)
Did they quote separately for labor, or was that included?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I would think option 2 installer is a better person for itemizing everything out.;)

highfigh

highfigh

I would think option 2 installer is a better person for itemizing everything out.;)
Maybe- some things show far less discount because it's damn near impossible to make money with those products- margins for Eero, Ubiquity, Nest, Ring, Google Home are very small, Sonos is profitable only if the dealer buys direct and a lot of AV stuff has lost margin, so it's hard to make the business work.

highfigh

highfigh

Option 1 guy quoted everything combined (1 price for everything). Option 2 guy was itemized (labor was separate).
So, you're saying the two were $800 apart with equipment AND install? Did those quotes include cables and other accessories? Have you seen any of their installations?

E

erigs

Audiophyte
So, you're saying the two were $800 apart with equipment AND install? Did those quotes include cables and other accessories? Have you seen any of their installations?
Yes, the $800 difference came from an all in total cost (equipment, wires, installation, etc). Since option 1 didn't itemize prices though, I couldn't tell if the higher cost was coming from more expensive equipment or from higher installation cost. It seems like it came from the later based on my estimates.

No, I have not seen their installations personally, but I was told both do quality work from the architect we're working with (who has worked with both AV installers in the past).

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, the $800 difference came from an all in total cost (equipment, wires, installation, etc). Since option 1 didn't itemize prices though, I couldn't tell if the higher cost was coming from more expensive equipment or from higher installation cost. It seems like it came from the later based on my estimates.

No, I have not seen their installations personally, but I was told both do quality work from the architect we're working with (who has worked with both AV installers in the past).
I think it's time to ask about the materials they use- if one uses big-buck cables with a fancy name and story, I would ask about alternatives- I do this for a living and have never found a need for the high-priced cables, although I have had some others fail on me. I had one failure and they didn't want to cover the warranty- Key Digital. I'm working on that. I use a lot of Vanco cables- they're not expensive and have a lifetime warranty as long as they're not physically damaged. If they want to use AudioQuest or something like that, pass.

Ask if they're using some kind of conduit for video cables- it's not a matter of if they'll need to be replaced, it's a matter of when.

BTW- I'm going to recommend Episode speakers and sub for a pricey yacht- the boat owner already has Episode speakers and sub in their 3rd Floor AV system and they sound good. The yacht has a Bose Lifestyle 48 system and it really doesn't sound good for most of what I have heard. I guess it's OK for people talking, but I hate it for music. The Episode sound very similar to other Danish speakers and as I posted before, the designer of their speakers left a nice footprint on their sound. I think he may have moved on, but his coming from Jamo, I was already very familiar with their speakers since I had worked for the second dealer in the US to carry that brand when they came here in '79. I still have the pair I bought at that time and they still sound really good.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis