Settings on Denon 4400

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It was working when I initially set it up but quit reading the center channel speaker for some reason, not sure why but wasn't showing it. I reset it, and it's working fine now.

So at this moment, I have all my front towers set to small, crossover for all speakers at 80, and the sub LFE set at 120. I ran Audyssey, and it set the levels and distances. Now I'm supposed to turn that off, right? So how exactly do I turn it off? And, again, and sorry to be redundant, but why do I turn it off again.

And the center channel is just your vocal speaker, right? There's no bass or mid to it, just makes vocals loud and clear. It's definitely doing that, can turn volume WAYYY down on TV now when watching and hear fine. What else should I do to configure?
Listen with your crossover for the towers at 60 and 80. See what sounds best. 60 should work fine, but you might have better clarity in your lows and highs at 80. For your center channel, you should look at that being set to 90 if you have that option. You can still do 80, but experiment with 100, too. :)
Using Audyssey is a personal preference. If it helps. Keep it on. If it hurts the SQ, turn it off. I am having a good experience with it right now... just turned it back on 2 days ago. Peng and I are both using the app for managing Audyssey: gives you more control over the system, but isn’t necessary. Also it costs $20.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Why would you want to use multich stereo? Especially if he only has 3.1?
Just trying to help him figure out why his center channel wasn't playing maybe switching to a different audio format might help him confirm if it's recieving a signal just a shot in the dark really Lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just trying to help him figure out why his center channel wasn't playing maybe switching to a different audio format might help him confirm if it's recieving a signal just a shot in the dark really Lol
Gotcha. Use of multich stereo just baffles me most of the time. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what's the best one to use y'all think? DSU? :)
The one you like best, whatever it is. Haven't used DSU yet myself as my avrs are pre-Atmos, but the reports have been rather good as an upmixer. I'd try it for sure. I use all sorts of settings depending on what I'm listening to, part of the fun of having all those adjustments at your fingertips. The only one I'd not recommend, even if you get 5.1 or beyond, is the multich stereo setting (maybe for a party or something).

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
I'd go with what Ryanosaur said make sure you have it on a good surround format

Also go into the Denon menu make sure in amp configuration it's on

also go to channel levels and run a test tone make sure it's working

Also why set your crossover at 40hz when you have the beautiful PB 16 ultra to cover your low end? Why not cross it over higher and give it room to breath? Did you keep it at 40 or set it higher?
No, I got it at 80. I think the receiver somehow had it at that. I'll recheck those settings and do another mic test.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, I got it at 80. I think the receiver somehow had it at that. I'll recheck those settings and do another mic test.
Consider what the suggested crossover to be as the lowest setting to use, fine to raise crossover to whatever you like.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Consider what the suggested crossover to be as the lowest setting to use, fine to raise crossover to whatever you like.
80 is the universal number, right? I assume that sub assuming the bass duties is the idea. Do some put it higher than 80?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
80 is the universal number, right? I assume that sub assuming the bass duties is the idea. Do some put it higher than 80?
For SVS Ultra speakers, 80 Hz is a good number to start with, and you can try 90 Hz to see if you like it better. I wouldn't go below 80 Hz though, unless you have the mic and software to see check the results.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
80 is the general starting point and the generally recommended starting point by Audyssey themselves too (believe it is in some sort of THX spec too). My general xovers range in the 60-110 range depending on speaker/room. Somewhat about where localization of a sub generally begins, too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Haha, I feel another threat coming on!! Haha. I don't see the DSU setting, though.
On my Marantz remote, I press the “movie” or “music” on the bottom of the remote and it pops up a menu to select what you want. “Dolby surround” is DSU. If the content is Dolby digital, you’d select Dolby digital+Dolby surround. Or Dolby digital+nueral X, which is the DTS upmixer. Since you don’t have any surround speakers or height speakers, you won’t find any difference. You should have consistent center channel though.

You’ll laugh, but I am actually trying to WILL some surround speakers into your room. My Jedi powers are weak though...lol

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
On my Marantz remote, I press the “movie” or “music” on the bottom of the remote and it pops up a menu to select what you want. “Dolby surround” is DSU. If the content is Dolby digital, you’d select Dolby digital+Dolby surround. Or Dolby digital+nueral X, which is the DTS upmixer. Since you don’t have any surround speakers or height speakers, you won’t find any difference. You should have consistent center channel though.

You’ll laugh, but I am actually trying to WILL some surround speakers into your room. My Jedi powers are weak though...lol
Makes all the difference, doesn't it?

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic

Here's the current setup...

Attachments

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Makes all the difference, doesn't it?
Now I need to figure out how to "fine-tune" the system. I've toggled my bass from -10 to -20. Man, that sub booms. It's killer for things that call for that boom, though, makes a HUGE difference and kicks major ass. I love the center channel, too, helps with deaf people like myself when trying to catch the vocals and gives a much better sounding soundstage. So now I need to figure out where to set those fronts, that sub, and that center so they call mesh together. That is the challenging part for me as I don't quite catch everything yet; though I'm getting there....SLOWLY. What was that mic, again, and program I can buy that help me do this? Ryan told me before, and I can't remember which thread it's on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Curious, do you have to hold down the music/movie buttons for several seconds for the menu to pop up like on my Denon?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Curious, do you have to hold down the music/movie buttons for several seconds for the menu to pop up like on my Denon?
No. It’s pretty much immediate. Then just scroll up/down to select.
It does have different quirks than my old Onkyo. I didn’t even have to look at the buttons on that thing to nav the menus. I’ll get there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No. It’s pretty much immediate. Then just scroll up/down to select.
It does have different quirks than my old Onkyo. I didn’t even have to look at the buttons on that thing to nav the menus. I’ll get there.
Interesting, thanks. Since you didn't say that it made me wonder. I find it kind of annoying (it's like 5 seconds you have to hold it down to get the menu if you're not just going for a simple change of the basic mode),plus it disappears fairly quickly if you don't start making a selection in the drop down menu.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis