K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
Gonna need some help. I’m going to finally buy my new tv this afternoon so I’m unboxing all the surround equipment I got to set this all up. First issue is I unboxed the Denon AVR I got from Accessories for Less and discovered there’s no power cord. Does somewhere like Best Buy sell them? Second question right now is how do I connect the sub to the AVR. It’s a 7.2 channel but looking at the back of it I see no connection marked sub. I will have more questions but those are the 2 I need answered now.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Power Cord
1. What is the model Denon AVR you got from A4L.
(Also if it's missing a power cord, I will call them, they should have supplied it)

It's just a standard IEC "computer" power cord. On the back of the receiver is it 2 or 3 prong power connector? You can pick one up at Amazon or Best Buy. Just buy 2 or 3-conductor/prong computer cable, preferably of 16AWG thickness or better (Denon uses 16AWG, 14AWG would be even better). I think Denononly uses 2 conductors (no ground), but not sure you will have to inspect.

Honestly I would go back to A4L and either have them send you the cable or at least offer you a credit back for an incomplete item.

Subwoofer
Sub.JPG

This is off an entry unit, usually it will be listed as a Pre-Out, but will have a subwoofer or Sub1 label near it. I highly reccomend that if they did not send you the user manual of your particular model, you go to Denon's website and download it.

If you have further questions, please indicate the following information
  • Model Number of your Denon AVR
  • Model Number of your TV (if you have questions on hooking up)
  • Model of Speakers/Sub might be helpful.
Welcome to home theater, I would highly reccomend being patient and taking the time to learn how to hook things properly. Not sure your expereince level connecting speakers, etc, but want to make sure you avoid potentially damaging your new setup.

V

viorelc

Audioholic Intern
It would help mentioning the AVR and maybe subwoofer model you are using. Unless all Denon AVRs have the exact same configuration, which I doubt very much. My Denon AVR (2200w) has 2 RCA type (line level) sub outputs (for active subs). Yours may not. Also, I don’t remember if you specified the sub you’re trying to connect, if it’s active or passive. Sorry if I missed the detail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You sure you checked the packaging carefully for the power cord? They can tuck it into somewhat strange places sometimes. I'd also have A4L send one out in any case, altho as was mentioned they're fairly standardized and easily purchased separately. All the Denon avrs have at least one sub pre-out, some have two (and some of the upper level Denons, in the X3xxx series and above, have two sub pre-outs that are separately adjustable for level and delay (distance). I'd also download the pdf manual and review its setup section to start.

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
Sorry forgot to include model. It’s X1600H. I did find the 2 pre outs marked subwoofer after I posted. It’s written so small and the angle I was looking made the little antenna block my view from it. I’m going to Best Buy to get the tv today so I’ll try to pick up a power cord there. It’s definitely not in the box. Will also try to find and download the manual. It did not come with that either. Already emailed A4L. They offered to send me one but I’m trying to get this all set up today.
I know the manual will tell me but can someone just explain how to hook up the sub. It’s a Klipsch R-12. It has a L/LFE Jack and a Jack marked R

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A$L sells returned/repackaged or serviced equipment and closeouts, AFAIK. This is what happens when someone, somewhere, doesn't do their job.

Edited

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A$L sells returned/repackaged or serviced equipment and closeouts, AFAIK. This is what happens when they don't do their job.
A4L doesn't open the boxes from the refurb center afaik, that's how they get them from Denon.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A$L sells returned/repackaged or serviced equipment and closeouts, AFAIK. This is what happens when someone, somewhere, doesn't do their job.

Edited
Yes, and that can happen theoretically with even a brand new unit from the factory....

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, and that can happen theoretically with even a brand new unit from the factory....
Never seen that with sealed equipment, in the 40+ years I have worked in the business. RE-sealed, yes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never seen that with sealed equipment, in the 40+ years I have worked in the business. RE-sealed, yes.
I've had the experience (and the refurb boxes are "sealed" too by the brand)

highfigh

highfigh

I've had the experience (and the refurb boxes are "sealed" too by the brand)
From independent dealers, or chains? In either case, I would bet they opened the boxes. Dealers who buy directly from the manufacturers usually don't need to do that. The only times I saw people opening boxes at the store where I worked, it was a demo or returned unit that was being sold and someone didn't check a box from a return or a power cable was left in the display and nobody put a note on the box indicating what was missing.

Back to my comment about someone, somewhere, not doing their job.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From independent dealers, or chains? In either case, I would bet they opened the boxes. Dealers who buy directly from the manufacturers usually don't need to do that. The only times I saw people opening boxes at the store where I worked, it was a demo or returned unit that was being sold and someone didn't check a box from a return or a power cable was left in the display and nobody put a note on the box indicating what was missing.

Back to my comment about someone, somewhere, not doing their job.
I had a factory sealed box missing stuff that should have been in the box. No one opened it. Someone didn't do their job. It is rare, and the refurbs I've had did have all the promised accessories. Just trying to throw shade on a refurb, meh.

highfigh

highfigh

I had a factory sealed box missing stuff that should have been in the box. No one opened it. Someone didn't do their job. It is rare, and the refurbs I've had did have all the promised accessories. Just trying to throw shade on a refurb, meh.
The only refurbs I have bought came directly from Sony- an ES integrated amp and regular Sony tuner, two regular Sony tuners and an integrated amp & tuner from Audio Lab, which was their old step-up line before ES. Other than the ES, everything was from the '73-'78 time period and the Audio Lab pieces had been on display at the Consumer Electronics Show. That tuner had issues which weren't found by Sony's service department or the techs at the store where I worked and unfortunately, it was just a bad ground connection- if I had been able to fix it, I would have used those pieces much longer because they really were above the normal level of sound quality. They just became too old for me to be comfortable with. We were the place that got most of the Sony refurbs, at least in the Midwest- we sold hundreds of pieces and the great thing about out store is that we had people who could service just about anything.

I don't like the lack of service centers, but for anyone willing to look, they should be able to find someone in their area- I would recommend checking out the places that still service TVs because they usually have someone who's able to do more than just TVs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know the manual will tell me but can someone just explain how to hook up the sub. It’s a Klipsch R-12.
Hooking it up is pretty straightforward. An rca from the sub output on the receiver to the L/LFE input on the sub, which should bypass the sub's internal filter. Which is what you want because your AVR will be doing the filtering. Of course make the connections with the power off, or you could get a nasty, potentially damaging "pop".

The rest requires a little more effort and I recommend reading the article HD linked you to. Your avr should have a setup routine you run with a mic that'll help you sort distances and volumes. Follow the instructions closely on that too, using whatever mic positions and placement recommended. Doing it right can make a difference and offer better results.

I do recommend checking the results to make sure your speakers are set to "small" and start with a crossover of 80 hz. Modern AVRs have a tendency to tell you your speakers are large and the reality is very few speakers can play deep bass like a sub can.

highfigh

highfigh

I know the manual will tell me but can someone just explain how to hook up the sub. It’s a Klipsch R-12. It has a L/LFE Jack and a Jack marked R
Read the manual and learn something about this piece, don't just ask- that's the lazy way and you need to know more about this than just how to make the connections.

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
Thanks guys . I’ve been reading up on it. Heading out to get the tv now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis