Serious Fire Breaks out at Notre Dame Cathedral Paris. One of the World's finest Musical Instruments Destroyed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
A serious fire has broken out at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Unfortunately according to a spokesman for the Cathedral it may be a total loss. This is a very sad day.

One thing is certain one of the finest organs in the world is a total loss.

The first instrument is mentioned as early as 1357. In 1403, a new organ is built. Till 1730, there is a history of many transformations and extensions. The present organ originates from a new organ constructed by François Thierry in 1730-33. This instrument was renovated and extended in 1783-88 by François-Henri Clicquot. In 1864-68, the positive was taken away by Violet le Duc (it is still stored somewhere in the cathedral) and the Clicquot organ was transformed into a symphonic organ by Cavaillé-Coll. He introduced a novelty here by extending the harmonics using a 7th and its octaves. In the years 1959 - 1968 the instrument was electrified, extended and reharmonized par Jean Hermann and Robert Boisseau and lost its symphonic character. In 1990-92, a large-scale restoration was carried out by Boisseau & Cattiaux, Emeriau, Giroud, returning the organ to its symphonic character of the 19th century, while maintaining the classical 32' grand choeur as reconstructed in the past century. In 2012-2014, the organ was restorated again and enlarged by Bertrand Cattiaux and Pascal Quoirin. They installed a new computer traction, repaired the sunken pipes, cleaned the organ and modified the "small pedal" into a ‘resonnance’ board. A register system motorized by high-pressure pneumatic actuators was supplied to replace Cavaille-Coll's action stop ties and the pneumatic stop tie machines were completely restored. 33 stops are from before the revolution, around 50 are from Cavaillé-Coll. This organ is superb! Together with the great acoustiscs of this cathedral, the organ sounds incredibly beautiful and its power goes beyond all imagination.

This fire is a terrible tragedy on many counts.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Very shocking news! Prayers going up high! Hopefully, precious artworks and other relics can be saved. Just so sad. :(

Phil

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Very, very sad news.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Shockingly sad on so many counts! Art, architecture, music... the history alone, of that one particular spot on this rock we travel, is stunning.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just read a news update indicating that the structure has been saved, and that the organ is apparently safe as well!
Damage to roof and one tower, mostly. Including the possible loss of several relics.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Just read a news update indicating that the structure has been saved, and that the organ is apparently safe as well!
Damage to roof and one tower, mostly. Including the possible loss of several relics.
I sincerely hope that new update is correct. That structure has endured so much including 2 world wars that it would be a tragic loss.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I sincerely hope that new update is correct. That structure has endured so much including 2 world wars that it would be a tragic loss.
I really doubt it is correct that the organs have survived.

This is an view from above during the height of the fire.

No organ is going to survive that.

Although they say the structure is saved, I think that is premature. The cathedral is still very hot and being hosed down.
The Church is built of Parisian lime stone, quarried largely from the site of he church. After exposure to heat the structure built of that stone exposed to heat can seem to be preserved and then crumble soon after.

We will all have to wait for structural engineering assessment after the structure has cooled and some time has passed. It is far too soon to know if the structure has been truly preserved or not. Yes, it is preserved for now, but for how long is the question.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am reminded of Orson Welles' monologue in F for Fake (Welles' second best movie after citizen kane) where he talks about all the artworks of man succumbing to the ultimate ash eventually, and he does so on the lawn of the Notre Dame Cathedral. It seems that day has come for what Welles called the premier work of man in the western world. I love that monologue, and it does give some healthy perspective to events like this. It was bound to happen, so in that sense it's not a big deal. Those who were alive to see the cathedral in its glory are lucky, but the vast majority of the great art produced by humanity is long gone. In the long run, even the most durable artworks (which is probably the pyramids of Giza) will turn into dust. We are just a blip, and every single work of art created by us is just an odd byproduct of a mammalian species that existed on this planet for only a brief moment compared to much more ecologically stable animals such as trilobites.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A serious fire has broken out at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Unfortunately according to a spokesman for the Cathedral it may be a total loss. This is a very sad day.

One thing is certain one of the finest organs in the world is a total loss.

This fire is a terrible tragedy on many counts.
Can you recommend any recordings made of performances from this organ?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, the silver lining is at least scientists managed to do laser 3d of the entire building with a 5mm precision earlier. This model should help quite a bit in restoration. Afraid it won't do much of the organ.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just listened to the first three cuts of that Bach to the Future... Tidal and Apple Music has it streaming. Apple Music posted up a bunch of other recordings by Latry, many on the Grandes Orgues there. Some other YouTube vids of him playing at mass, there.

Sadly, an update from Washington Post:
Cathedral spokesman Andre Finot [said] the building had sustained "colossal damage" and that the wooden interior... had been gutted. "Nothing will remain from the frame," he said.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well, the silver lining is at least scientists managed to do laser 3d of the entire building with a 5mm precision earlier. This model should help quite a bit in restoration. Afraid it won't do much of the organ.
By reports this morning it seems that the organ has miraculously survived. There will be damage, but if the pipes are intact the organ can be restored to its former glory.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Holy Crown of Thorns was also saved! Money is also coming in worldwide for restoration purposes. That is a good sign. :)

Cheers,

Phil

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Who are should I say, what religion does that church building belong to?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Holy Crown of Thorns was also saved! Money is also coming in worldwide for restoration purposes. That is a good sign. :)

Cheers,

Phil
There were some stories I saw indicating that the relics and a bunch of art were moved due to the renovations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis