Seeking input on crossover settings

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Ah. I assumed distance was from speaker to me. So it's from speaker to head unit?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah. I assumed distance was from speaker to me. So it's from speaker to head unit?
No, delays/distances are based on that between your listening position and speaker. Subs' electronics can cause further signal delay, thus causing a higher distance setting than its physical distance....

D

ddjr

Audioholic
So should I add a foot to the sub distance? (50 year old noob here)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So should I add a foot to the sub distance? (50 year old noob here)
I'd set it where the auto detection set it....until you have better tools at least. Or play with a wide variety of settings and see if any sound particularly better. Do you have a phase adjustment on the sub? How is it set?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it is all the way clockwise
What sub is it? Not many have a variable setting for phase. Usually just 0 or 180 degrees. Generally you set phase for strongest response.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
It is a dayton audio titanic mk2 10". (I just remembered I have an 18" mackie driver in the basement!)

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Sorry, phase is a switch- rev and nor. It is set to nor. Frequency is a dial that goes from 40hz to180hz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, phase is a switch- rev and nor. It is set to nor. Frequency is a dial that goes from 40hz to180hz
"Frequency" is the low pass filter. Flip the phase back and forth and keep it at the stronger response. Forgot about that sub score ya got!

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Hey lovinthehd, I found a mackie swa 1801 driver. I started a thread in subwoofer. It's mammoth, is this something, or clutter? (WAF)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey lovinthehd, I found a mackie swa 1801 driver. I started a thread in subwoofer. It's mammoth, is this something, or clutter? (WAF)
Well the DIY subforum better if you want some help on building a box for it. It may not have good specs for use as a sub particularly for deep response (large diameter doesn't mean it digs deep).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mackie is mostly about pa/pro sound type applications....

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why would you combine low pass filters like that? Even if you have something that can do that, he can't. He can set a crossover, not just a high pass filter.
Combine? There's no combine here. There is crossover point for mains to sub, also known as high pass filter point. There is crossover point for sub to mains, also known as low pass filter point. A high pass of 50Hz and a low pass of 60 Hz is a common starting point for proper blending and mains efficency. You already know this. It's just semantics.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Combine? There's no combine here. There is crossover point for mains to sub, also known as high pass filter point. There is crossover point for sub to mains, also known as low pass filter point. A high pass of 50Hz and a low pass of 60 Hz is a common starting point for proper blending and mains efficency. You already know this. It's just semantics.
No, it's not semantics. Your method in this case would combine the low pass filter in the avr's crossover as well as the one provided for on the sub. Crossovers in most avrs are just that, a combination of a low pass for the sub and a high pass for the speakers applied together (thus the phrase crossover, due to the two slopes crossing). If using a crossover in an avr you generally want the low pass in the sub inactivated or maxed out. This is common knowledge. Very very few units can adjust their crossover with separate high pass and low pass settings in the pre-amp (and you still wouldn't combine that with the one in the sub). Proper blending? WTF is that? What do you actually know?

S

sterling shoote

No, it's not semantics. Your method in this case would combine the low pass filter in the avr's crossover as well as the one provided for on the sub. Crossovers in most avrs are just that, a combination of a low pass for the sub and a high pass for the speakers applied together (thus the phrase crossover, due to the two slopes crossing). If using a crossover in an avr you generally want the low pass in the sub inactivated or maxed out. This is common knowledge. Very very few units can adjust their crossover with separate high pass and low pass settings in the pre-amp (and you still wouldn't combine that with the one in the sub). Proper blending? WTF is that? What do you actually know?
Well, I apparently know more than you. Now, I remember why I am ignoring you.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I've got one for you guys- there are output rca jacks on the sub. Should I be running wire from the sub to the mains? Why are they even there? (On back of the sub)

S

sterling shoote

I've got one for you guys- there are output rca jacks on the sub. Should I be running wire from the sub to the mains? Why are they even there? (On back of the sub)
Here's what's problematic. You are seeking an understanding from folks here who can tell you how to set up your sub for the best results, I in fact did that, but you've got to do some homework. That's to say, you need to read the sub's manual and read the receiver's manual. I think your confusion is brought about because both sub and receiver share some functions, and when these functions are shared you will get poor results. Run sub RCA output from receiver to the sub and control the sub entirely from the receiver. In receiver's menu set speakers to small, set sub to on, and set sub to 60 Hz crossover. Download a sound pressure lever meter to your phone. Play a test tone from your receiver at an average volume level. Using the SPL meter, adjust sub volume to match mains db level. That's it for starters.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis