Seeking input on crossover settings

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I'm using a 5.2 system(denon avr s500bt) with optimus pro lx10's for front, micca mb42x's for the surrounds, jbl stage A125c for center channel, and a dayton audio titanic 10" sub. I'm not sure of the settings I have it set to. The fronts, sides and center are at 80hz. The sub is also at 80hz. But that doesn't seem right to me. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks
Ddjr

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The crossover is that between speaker and sub. Not sure what you mean by the sub is also set at 80....that the LPF of LFE in the avr or is that the low pass filter on the sub itself? If it's the one in the avr set it to 120, if it's the one on the sub turn it up to the max setting.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Try this: set front, center and surrounds high pass filter to 50 Hz and set sub low pass filter to 60 Hz. Then play a test tone to a cell phone loaded with a sound pressure level program. Adjust center, surrounds, and sub gain to match mains output. That's it.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
How do I adjust center, surrounds and sub gains to match fronts? I'll try it, but I'd like a bit more knowledge than I currently have.
Also, any particular app you like?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try this: set front, center and surrounds high pass filter to 50 Hz and set sub low pass filter to 60 Hz. Then play a test tone to a cell phone loaded with a sound pressure level program. Adjust center, surrounds, and sub gain to match mains output. That's it.
Why would you combine low pass filters like that? Even if you have something that can do that, he can't. He can set a crossover, not just a high pass filter.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do I adjust center, surrounds and sub gains to match fronts? I'll try it, but I'd like a bit more knowledge than I currently have.
Also, any particular app you like?
With an spl meter and test tones if you don't have the built-in setup app/microphone to use.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I have the built in setup and mic, if that helps. What I don't have is the knowledge/experience

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
D

ddjr

Audioholic
Mains are 50-25000hz
Center is 75-40hz (crossover frequencies-2.6k hz)
Surrounds are 60-20k hz
Sub is 40-180 hz (on back of sub)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Without further spec the ranges don't mean a lot. Are those +/- 3dB ranges or ? The speaker's internal crossover between drivers has nothing to do with setting your crossover with the sub. The sub's range is simply it's low pass filter range, set that to max if using bass management in the avr (which would be best).

Generally a crossover of 80hz is a good start with all speakers, maybe a bit higher for that center speaker. Can you set individual speakers for crossover or is it a universal adjustment in your avr? What you want to generally avoid with higher crossover is the localization of the sub (the ideal is so that you can't tell where the sub's output is coming from in the room).

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I don't have an spl so I guess the onboard setup will have to do. I see under manual setup I can change the crossover points for all the speakers, including lfe. Do the specs above denote where to set them? And, is that what the auto setup does?

D

ddjr

Audioholic
You guys are very helpful and I appreciate it. I know my system isn't special in any way but I'd hate to ruin it, or even set it up poorly. My wife hates all of this. Seems a common sentiment of wives.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LFE should be set to the limit of the LFE channel's normal content (i.e. the ".1" channel in movies etc). In Denon avrs it's generally called the LPF of LFE, (i.e. low pass filter of LFE) of 120hz. There's really no point in setting it lower.

You can change individual crossovers to taste, tho, which you may find helpful. The auto setup may not determine ideal crossover point, but rather a minimal one. Not familiar with what that particular routine in your Denon does (have several Audyssey equipped Denons myself). Some set crossover near the -3dB point of their speakers (also called f3), some prefer half an octave above....some avrs have a double bass setting to overlap the sub with the speakers on bass content, too.....mostly in the end it's a matter of preference. Run the auto routine and report back on the resulting levels/delays (delay is distance setting).....

Yes, all of this stretches WAF for many....

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Ha! I love it. It's really not a girl thing. Neither is my guitar collection...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some say it more pc....SAF (spouse acceptance or significant other acceptance :) ).

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I ran the auto setup. Sounded fine. Then I went in and manually set things different, altered the distances, etc. Sounds fine. My hearing may be suspect and not deserving of settings in general. But it does sound fine. Thank you, gents

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I ran the auto setup. Sounded fine. Then I went in and manually set things different, altered the distances, etc. Sounds fine. My hearing may be suspect and not deserving of settings in general. But it does sound fine. Thank you, gents
You just changed things for the heck of it? Keep in mind a sub distance setting is often longer due processing time in the sub....but as long as it sounds good to you, that works.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis