Seeking Center Channel Advice

A

ANovice

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I am looking to add a center channel speaker as the first in a journey to build out a good 3.1 setup. My hope is to add a subwoofer and bookshelf speakers next year, and in the meantime enjoy better dialogue. I rarely listen to music. Our seats are about 10 ft from where I would place the center speaker and after going down the rabbit hole of 2 way vs 3 way, I opted for the latter, (initially I was going to go with the HSU hc-1mk2 since their subs have such glowing reviews). Now I am considering the following (trying to stay under $450:
Of these, the NHT seems the best option from the few reviews I've seen very few, which is why I am posting to the forum).

Part of me says to wait on the speaker and just get a new receiver, but decent ones seem outside my price range right now, except perhaps the Denon AVR-S760H?

I appreciate any advice, thanks!

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
What speakers are you using for the L/R? Generally speaking, you want the front 3 to match.

A

ANovice

Audiophyte
The L/R speakers will come later when I can buy both along with a sub. In the meantime, I'm starting with adding a center speaker first.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It's generally better to start with the left/right speakers and use a phantom center first if you're budget limited right now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The L/R speakers will come later when I can buy both along with a sub. In the meantime, I'm starting with adding a center speaker first.
That is he wrong way round. A center speaker needs right and left channels, but the right and left do not need a center channel.

A

ANovice

Audiophyte
I should have clarified that I am using my old stereo speakers. Cerwin Vega, so I do have left, right.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd prefer to settle on L/R then get a center that matches up as much as possible (if not just using the same speaker for L/C/R....)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
If you are going with an HSU Sub and want to add a center (with L&R to come later), I'd buy their CCB-8 which is an outstanding Center and L&R. I have them as the LCR on our Games Room Atmos system and they are fabulous. Nothing comes near them at their price point. The ultimate compliment I can say is: I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

A

ANovice

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice Jim. I think I'll consider a different option than going for the center first.

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
If you are going with an HSU Sub and want to add a center (with L&R to come later), I'd buy their CCB-8 which is an outstanding Center and L&R. I have them as the LCR on our Games Room Atmos system and they are fabulous. Nothing comes near them at their price point. The ultimate compliment I can say is: I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.
Sorry to butt in. I own an Hsu VTF-3 HO subwoofer. I had not been looking for speakers and didn't know about CCB-8. CCB-8 design and specs and reviews looks like it would be an awesome speaker. I might just get me a pair.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I should have clarified that I am using my old stereo speakers. Cerwin Vega, so I do have left, right.
Which model and condition? They make endless models …?
How do they sound with no center?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I'd start with these:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43149

and add this center later when budget allows:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34189
Wow those look like a far superior version of those cheap discontinued Andrew Jones towers a few years ago larger too . Ofc not based on them , monolith looks much higher end ! I’ve not heard the brand yet .
The hsu lot smaller , but coaxial, what’s difference in the sound of those brands ?
More for the op , I can’t upgrade anytime soon although they look like something to look at later on .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis