Seek headphone cable repair

W

Wildings

Audioholic
Hello forum members. I have an upgraded (I accept that the concept is dabatable) headphone cable that has failed near where the connector enters rt ear terminal. The cable material is solid silver which I expect is quite fine. There are two wires leading into the receptical for a 4 pin jack. Flexing them causes intermittent connection. Would one of our members, for compensation of course, attempt a repair....or could you please recommend a business who would do this? I have struck out locally. My apologies if this post is inappropriate. Am reduced to using the original copper....sounds different from the silver (I think?) Thank you.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
The original copper cable should sound just as good as your custom cable.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
It's a little different....maybe not BURNT IN! Just kidding. I could easily discern in a blind test...inexplicable.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Anybody reasonably handy with a soldering iron should be able to make the repair, not terribly difficult. The wires may be very small, which makes it a bit more difficult, but nothing too bad for someone with moderate experience.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
Therein lies my problem..cant find anyone with soldiering skills, modest or otherwise. Granted I believe silver solder must be used. I was hoping someone here would offer to try, for compensation of course.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Am reduced to using the original copper....sounds different from the silver (I think?)
I could easily discern in a blind test...inexplicable.
Your first quote makes the second one seem quite improbable.

Any local electronics repair shop should be able to check and repair the solder on those cables for you. No hassle of mailing them out and back to someone here. Alternatively, you could pick up the tools required and try it yourself. Learn something new while you're at it!

Edit: Another alternative is to email the manufacturer and see if they'll fix it for you. Under warranty or otherwise.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
"I think" meaning it cant be measured, but I find it to be so, although many view as improbable. Have checked with couple tv etc repair....not interested.
As for "you could pick up a soldering iron yourself etc".....if pigs had wings they could fly. You have no idea re my medical circumstances so please stow the obvious suggestions. Which include checking local electronics stores. Duh.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry. Good luck

Edit: I'm guessing ask the manufacturer was also an obvious, duh question?

W

Wildings

Audioholic
Got no response from the manufacturer, however. The owner of Dyson (Jeffery Dyson...not the vacume co.) another cable manufacturer was kind enough to tell me to just send them directly to him.
Thank you for good wishes, I apologize for being rather prickly....there are quite a few bullies on this forum, and I intentionally wanted to be good humored about the cable debate. Thank you to you and others who have been helpful and informative in the pasr.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis