SVS PS1000 - Sub
Samsung UN65NU800D
Stereo system
Onkyo A-SV610 Pro Receiver
Klipsch 4.2 - Main

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
QLeds are LESS susceptible to burn in, but I doubt they're totally immune unlike regular LED sets. The reason is they are using multiple sections of lights that can be dimmed or turned off separate from each other and every year they appear to be heading for more smaller sections to approach OLED's perfect black levels. The problem is LEDs that are turned down or off aren't wearing at the same rate and thus those sections could become dimmer sooner than other sections. This could lead to dim spots/sections if not full burn in where black bars are etc. as everything around them dims sooner.

Single panel LED and fluorescent backlights don't have this problem since they all wear at more or less the same rate.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
QLeds are LESS susceptible to burn in, but I doubt they're totally immune unlike regular LED sets. The reason is they are using multiple sections of lights that can be dimmed or turned off separate from each other and every year they appear to be heading for more smaller sections to approach OLED's perfect black levels. The problem is LEDs that are turned down or off aren't wearing at the same rate and thus those sections could become dimmer sooner than other sections. This could lead to dim spots/sections if not full burn in where black bars are etc. as everything around them dims sooner.

Single panel LED and fluorescent backlights don't have this problem since they all wear at more or less the same rate.
Qled sets are nothing more than a glorified led tv. Please show any proof of QLED burn in. I don't believe you'll find any.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

QLED displays are advanced LCD displays. Color drift occurs on all of them the same way, but as I mentioned already, current displays are much better at this simply because of better design. Backlight type has little to do with that since the backlight and the actual LCD are separate layers. It is not impossible, but extremely unlikely to occur in current displays (or at least would take literally years of constant on to occur).

Nobody uses CCFL backlighting anymore. Basically due to to Energy Start requirements, CCFL based displays won't meet the requirements. They also take up so much space that the enclosures are relatively thick, and consumers pretty much wouldn't buy them today. I don't think there is such a thing as a CCFL full back light, they are edge lit by design.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
QLED displays are advanced LCD displays. Color drift occurs on all of them the same way, but as I mentioned already, current displays are much better at this simply because of better design. Backlight type has little to do with that since the backlight and the actual LCD are separate layers. It is not impossible, but extremely unlikely to occur in current displays (or at least would take literally years of constant on to occur).

Nobody uses CCFL backlighting anymore. Basically due to to Energy Start requirements, CCFL based displays won't meet the requirements. They also take up so much space that the enclosures are relatively thick, and consumers pretty much wouldn't buy them today. I don't think there is such a thing as a CCFL full back light, they are edge lit by design.
I beg to disagree with you here. As a matter of fact, in the Samsung line for example, most of their TV sets use edge lighting, but their top QLED models, the Q8 and the Q9 series use a full array back lighting.

This is taken from Tom's Guide:
"Most LCD sets use LEDs on the edge of the screen. The better of these models support active dimming, but it takes some digital sorcery to do this by merely manipulating lights along the edge.

Full-array LED sets have light-emitting diodes directly behind the screen, in a grid of "zones" that can be lit up or darkened individually. Such an arrangement makes the backlight more precise and allows a more-detailed picture regarding contrast. Full-array backlighting was once reserved for top-tier models, but with more Ultra HD sets appearing at lower prices, this feature is becoming more common on modestly priced sets."

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Qled sets are nothing more than a glorified led tv. Please show any proof of QLED burn in. I don't believe you'll find any.
Newer QLEDs are sure as hell not just a glorified LED TV.... Last year's sets are NIGHT & DAY better than a regular LED and massively improved over the previous year's QLEDs (which I'd agree weren't much better than a regular LED). They are so much improved, it was hard to tell them apart from the OLEDs at Best Buy (admittedly bright ambient lighting). Even at home, it's night and day for black levels. It's not OLED's perfect blacks, but it's one hell of a lot closer than the previous year while having NIT levels (if you care at all about HDR, it matters) 2-3x higher than OLED.

They achieve this by using "zones" or "banks" of LEDs that can be lit up or dimmed individually. They've announced their intention to eventually go even smaller to "micro" zones which they think will get them to the point where you can barely or not tell them apart from OLED while retaining much higher NIT output. If you have not see QLED on the high-end models in the past year, you should check them out. It's night and day. I got one for my mother since she watches CNN like a crazy person and an OLED would have burned that logo into the set in no time. It seems to be holding well after one year, though so I'm guessing the LEDs do burn slower. She certainly burned 4:3 black bars into her CRT HDTV after a few years (she kept forgetting where the HD stations were on the cable box or didn't care).

Given QLED has only really started using these numerous small zones/banks of LEDs since the end of 2017 (barely a single year now), it's far too early to draw any conclusions about these newer QLEDs, but IMO they could conceivably get burn-in over time due the micro-banks of LEDs that can now shut off completely. The main reason OLED is susceptible is each pixel is its own light. Leave some on and some off, and you get uneven wear, which we call burn-in. Now it may take longer than OLED (Samsung's LEDs may dim at a much slower rate, for example), but there will inevitably be someone who leaves CNN or SyFy on for years at a time (relatively speaking) and eventually gets a logo (or widescreen fans starting to see zones across the top/bottom where the LEDs took less wear).

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Newer QLEDs are sure as hell not just a glorified LED TV.... Last year's sets are NIGHT & DAY better than a regular LED and massively improved over the previous year's QLEDs (which I'd agree weren't much better than a regular LED). They are so much improved, it was hard to tell them apart from the OLEDs at Best Buy (admittedly bright ambient lighting). Even at home, it's night and day for black levels. It's not OLED's perfect blacks, but it's one hell of a lot closer than the previous year while having NIT levels (if you care at all about HDR, it matters) 2-3x higher than OLED.

They achieve this by using "zones" or "banks" of LEDs that can be lit up or dimmed individually. They've announced their intention to eventually go even smaller to "micro" zones which they think will get them to the point where you can barely or not tell them apart from OLED while retaining much higher NIT output. If you have not see QLED on the high-end models in the past year, you should check them out. It's night and day. I got one for my mother since she watches CNN like a crazy person and an OLED would have burned that logo into the set in no time. It seems to be holding well after one year, though so I'm guessing the LEDs do burn slower. She certainly burned 4:3 black bars into her CRT HDTV after a few years (she kept forgetting where the HD stations were on the cable box or didn't care).

Given QLED has only really started using these numerous small zones/banks of LEDs since the end of 2017 (barely a single year now), it's far too early to draw any conclusions about these newer QLEDs, but IMO they could conceivably get burn-in over time due the micro-banks of LEDs that can now shut off completely. The main reason OLED is susceptible is each pixel is its own light. Leave some on and some off, and you get uneven wear, which we call burn-in. Now it may take longer than OLED (Samsung's LEDs may dim at a much slower rate, for example), but there will inevitably be someone who leaves CNN or SyFy on for years at a time (relatively speaking) and eventually gets a logo (or widescreen fans starting to see zones across the top/bottom where the LEDs took less wear).
They are LED sets and not subject to burn in.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I beg to disagree with you here. As a matter of fact, in the Samsung line for example, most of their TV sets use edge lighting, but their top QLED models, the Q8 and the Q9 series use a full array back lighting.

This is taken from Tom's Guide:
"Most LCD sets use LEDs on the edge of the screen. The better of these models support active dimming, but it takes some digital sorcery to do this by merely manipulating lights along the edge.

Full-array LED sets have light-emitting diodes directly behind the screen, in a grid of "zones" that can be lit up or darkened individually. Such an arrangement makes the backlight more precise and allows a more-detailed picture regarding contrast. Full-array backlighting was once reserved for top-tier models, but with more Ultra HD sets appearing at lower prices, this feature is becoming more common on modestly priced sets."
I was talking about CCFL - they are all edge lit. LED can be either - lower cost ones are edge lit (my current one is nearly 10 years old and is local dimming edge lit LED). The flagship / higher models tend to be full panel backlit because full array is much more expensive to manufacture on a larger size screen.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
A 72-hour stress test "proves" it can't EVER burn in? Color me skeptical. Leave the CNN logo in the corner for 3 years and get back to me.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Looks like you don't have to worry much:

Does screen burn affect LCD TVs? It is possible, but much less likely to happen. Warranties on LCD TVs are similar to OLED ones in that burn-in isn’t covered in most cases. Samsung, which doesn’t make OLED TVs, is an exception. It offers a 10-year burn-in warranty on its high-end LCD QLED TVs.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/09/is-screen-burn-on-oled-tvs-worth-worrying-about/ - Which?
Who's worrying? All I said is that because of their new use of "zones" it's POSSIBLE where it really wasn't before with a single zone.

I'm not sure what part of LED you don't understand.
I see you deleted this bit. LEDs do get dimmer over time, whether you believe it or not. If you have two "zones" of LEDs that are OFF 100% of the time (say someone only ever watches 2.35:1 movies so the top/bottom black bar sections are powered off more or less) and the rest are on and this goes on for years, do you seriously think the LEDs that are never fired up aren't going to be brighter than the ones that were used for three years straight??? Perhaps LEDs dim slower than OLEDs, but that doesn't make them 100% immune to dimming over time. But it's the fact the zones turn some of the LEDs OFF or down that creates the potential for uneven wear that never existed in prior LED designs.

I'd like to know what part of that YOU don't understand.

With a single zone LED set (traditional LED backlights until Samsung's more recent QLED efforts),the entire LED backlight panel is on at the same time as the rest of it 100% of the time. It literally wears at the same rate all around and "cannot" burn in. It also has horrible blacks.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Who's worrying? All I said is that because of their new use of "zones" it's POSSIBLE where it really wasn't before with a single zone.

I see you deleted this bit. LEDs do get dimmer over time, whether you believe it or not. If you have two "zones" of LEDs that are OFF 100% of the time (say someone only ever watches 2.35:1 movies so the top/bottom black bar sections are powered off more or less) and the rest are on and this goes on for years, do you seriously think the LEDs that are never fired up aren't going to be brighter than the ones that were used for three years straight??? Perhaps LEDs dim slower than OLEDs, but that doesn't make them 100% immune to dimming over time. But it's the fact the zones turn some of the LEDs OFF or down that creates the potential for uneven wear that never existed in prior LED designs.

With a single zone LED set (traditional LED backlights until Samsung's more recent QLED efforts),the entire LED backlight panel is on at the same time as the rest of it 100% of the time. It literally wears at the same rate all around and "cannot" burn in. It also has horrible blacks.
QLED vs LED
Beyond the 'paradigm shift' hyperbole of Samsung's marketing, it's really important to understand that QLED isn't really anything new at all. In fact, it's really nothing more than the latest – possibly among the last technically possible – tweaks to existing LED-LCD technology that's dominated bigscreen TVs for the last decade.
QLED's innovations – deeper blacks, better colours and wider viewing angles – tackle three traditional problems of LED and LCD technology, but they're the same problems that are addressed year in, year out by TV makers. Only upcoming reviews will reveal if, in fact, QLED is a significant step forward from traditional LED-LCD screens – but chances are good that we'll see some real improvements in these areas with Samsung's new sets.

QLED vs LED
Beyond the 'paradigm shift' hyperbole of Samsung's marketing, it's really important to understand that QLED isn't really anything new at all. In fact, it's really nothing more than the latest – possibly among the last technically possible – tweaks to existing LED-LCD technology that's dominated bigscreen TVs for the last decade.
QLED's innovations – deeper blacks, better colours and wider viewing angles – tackle three traditional problems of LED and LCD technology, but they're the same problems that are addressed year in, year out by TV makers. Only upcoming reviews will reveal if, in fact, QLED is a significant step forward from traditional LED-LCD screens – but chances are good that we'll see some real improvements in these areas with Samsung's new sets.

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-qled-samsungs-latest-television-acronym-explained

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Before you post more old, out of date articles for the nth time, look up FALD, the new feature last year I've been talking about. It's NOT the same as regular LED (edge lit) and the basis of what I'm talking about (opening the possibility of uneven wear over long periods of time if some LEDs are OFF while others are running). It's also the reasons the black levels are night and day better on last year's QLEDs. If you quite honestly literally CANNOT comprehend that, I give up as you're a waste of my and every other person on Earth's time.

Now if you just want to play post links to articles, I can play that stupid game too:

https://www.techradar.com/news/5-reasons-why-qled-not-oled-might-be-the-future-of-tvs

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis